Sosúa Beach Renovations

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am sure they understand how the DR government has a history of not following through on proposed projects. Many have their whole lives invested into their business. I don't think it is stupid to fight it until the bitter end. You think they should just fold to the government's will like lemmings? I certainly don't.
Stupid? No.

Pointless? Yes.

They have zero chance to win without any legal leg to stand on besides potential violence when they are removed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I remember when the government of president Balaguer a lot of conflicts about this matter, owner been evicted because new construction projects.
Example; in Santiago City during government building "El Huacalito" owner was almost evicted because they didn't want to sell the land.

Utilidad Pública, the president has the power to take over a private property if the owner don't want to sell.

JJ
None of the beach bar and restaurant "owners" behind the beach actually own anything but a business name and perhaps what is inside their shacks or buildings. They certainly don't own the land on private property or within the 60 meter public domain on which those shacks reside. They are squatters. They can protest by closing up all they want, that will not change their destiny.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Stupid? No.

Pointless? Yes.

They have zero chance to win without any legal leg to stand on besides potential violence when they are removed.
I am sorry, I read stupid. I guess I misread.

When your livelihood is on the line, many will try anything to save themselves. Like I said, so many unfinished projects in the DR over the years. I don't blame them for hoping this is another one of them. Just look at the speed this is happening...it could take decades.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

When your livelihood is on the line, many will try anything to save themselves. Like I said, so many unfinished projects in the DR over the years. I don't blame them for hoping this is another one of them. Just look at the speed this is happening...it could take decades.
With the decisions that have already been made by the government and if those decisions are actually ever implemented, they can try until they are blue in the face without success. The real question, as you mention, is when they will be gone.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Government leaders do what they think is good for the majority of the people and for what they know will bring more votes in the next electoral tournament.
Just look what happened in Santiago with the cleaned up and embellecimiento campaign conducted by the City mayor Abel Martínez who is running for president now.
Not just a few vendors where removed from the sidewalks of Santiago they was thousands I know a couple myself.

JJ

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
FYI the entire town is alive and well with chicas and the customers.
Are you there now? I'm just repeating what some friends of mine have told me who are there and are comparing it to what it used to be. I took a drive today down Dr. Rosen and PC just to see and it's definitely not like it used to be in the afternoons anyway. I haven't been to Sosua at night in a long time.

Reactions: CristoRey

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You do know, the beach is the last place they meet their ladies. These guy's rarely go to the beach.
Well, that is the exact opposite of what has been posted right here in the past. I don't go to Sosua beach often, but when I'm there, there is no shortage of mongers on the beach nor chicas trolling. The chicas are there on the beach in their spandex for a reason and it's not to look for seashells.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Perhaps they planned it this way. Eventually the vendor's shacks will be removed. If they are removed prior to the completion of the plaza(s) then it becomes a matter of who's in the best position finacially to weather the storm/ down time until a relocation space opens up. Most of them won't make past a month or two before they have to throw in the towel and permanently close.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Well, that is the exact opposite of what has been posted right here in the past. I don't go to Sosua beach often, but when I'm there, there is no shortage of mongers on the beach nor chicas trolling. The chicas are there on the beach in their spandex for a reason and it's not to look for seashells.
I have been going to the beach since 2002. It was a place for that but it has been at least 10 years since that was the case. Most guys want the cover of night and the haze of the clubs/bars when meeting these girls. Hey, but what do I know?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Perhaps they planned it this way. Eventually the vendor's shacks will be removed. If they are removed prior to the completion of the plaza(s) then it becomes a matter of who's in the best position finacially to weather the storm/ down time until a relocation space opens up. Most of them won't make past a month or two before they have to throw in the towel and permanently close.
I could be wrong but I do not believe it was ever the plan to have any of the current vendors as occupants of the new plaza.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Are you there now? I'm just repeating what some friends of mine have told me who are there and are comparing it to what it used to be. I took a drive today down Dr. Rosen and PC just to see and it's definitely not like it used to be in the afternoons anyway. I haven't been to Sosua at night in a long time.
Last week.

Reactions: cavok and CristoRey

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Well, now I'm curious. I hate driving that road at night but I'm going to go there just to look for myself because I do know what it used to be like.
Give a full report, I like different prospectives.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We can all boycott the new beach 'upscale concrete plaza. so if beers are 350 pesos and mojitos are 500 then they will have a few showoffs trying to impress, but the tourists will be one and done there and opt for stretching their budgets.

Personally I think the concept will fall flat on its face and the great experiment will end.
The DR seems to have already priced itself out of the budget vacation location.
Prices here have already gone beyond what once made it a great bargain - it does not seem the same ?

There are other places to go for this price, such as Ecuador, Costa Rica and Colombia where, for this cost, you can see bigger countries and more sophisticated (or at least more educated) cultures

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Dios los cría y ellos se juntan, My grandfather used to say that...LOL

JJ