Sosúa Beach Renovations

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Forget about a new high end hospital for the north coast and that look JD presented as a possibility for Sosua.
Despite that. there are many new housing projects, most of them a few houses or a few dozen condos. But they add up over time.

No hospital like that is being discussed and the plaza designs posted by the government look nothing like that for Sosua.
Is such a hospital is key, then those making decisions don't have that lock.
Wow, do you work for the government? You have a lot of inside info.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The hospital is not key.

It would be an additional attraction as quality infrastructure.
I made a decision to live in a place within the Dominican Republic without access to quality health care.
But I get a few more benefits than a beach condo bestows on ya brother.
I never said you said a hospital is key, That was another poster.
And I don't have a beach condo!

But there will probably be several Sosua Beach Condos for sale in a year or so.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wow, do you work for the government? You have a lot of inside info.
Nope. I just pay attention. Regarding a high end hospital, or even a "normal" one I would go to, that would not be a government job.
The government has lower end understaffed public hospitals in the DR that I doubt you would want to go to.

As for what the new plaza(s) look like, artists renderings were done by the government. All the info is public.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Where are all these local posters that just love Sosua Beach so much as it is that they're going to move if the casitas get torn down? Doesn't sound like they've been to the beach in quite a while(?).
I enjoy the beach but I'd never consider living or vacationing up there again unless they get rid of all sh*t and the flies first.

I know several honest hard working business owners/ beach shack vendors up there and I do wish all of them the best going forward but this cleansing is long overdue in my opinion.

I'm looking forward seeing the town cleaned up.
The sooner the better as I plan on spending a lot more time relaxing on that beautiful sandy beach, while enjoying an ice cold Presidente Light with my feet in the sand, when all is said and done.

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
Plaza(s) plural and additional details from the "negotiations" about Sosua Beach in case you want more information:

That video was put up over six months ago and was based on the information being fed to them at that time.
I trust Danny's information a whole lot more than some the other's here who think they have "inside information" since he is directly affected by what's going on there. Shortly after that video went up Danny put his condo up for sale and all but announced he was taking his road show to another country.
Six months later, the condo is still for sale, Malibu's is still operating and only Danny knows what his next move might be. But he said along time ago he felt that his time on Playa Sosua was limited.

You seem to act like you are an authority on the matter but never really divulge your sources for information which I suspect is likely google searches and not from someone that really knows. The reality is the only ones that really know are those within the government making it all happen and they are not going to divulge the real truth to anyone but a trusted source that needs to know. I would be willing to bet that Mayor Willie knows full well what's going to happen

Just because they are only moving dirt and doing construction in one location doesn't mean there isn't more coming.
They pretty much have to start with the location they are in to keep from knocking down shacks and disrupting things to much.
They need to finish one area before starting on another or all hell is gonna break loose. These projects will take a very long time to complete.

They can't really do to much on the El Batey side without tearing some of the shacks down since there is not enough room on that side to do a whole lot without destruction of what's already there.

I for one definitely believe that change is coming to Sosua. One can't have progress without change. But it will remain to be seen if the future Sosua will end up being better or worse. I have absolutely no doubt there is a core group of visitors currently going there that they would rather not be there

I also have no doubt that what they say and what eventually happens will be 2 different things and whatever happens at the playa will take a very long time to accomplish. This very subject has been debated for at least 15-20 years and probably way longer.

I also have no doubt that some will be happy with the results and some won't but there are always winners and losers with these projects.

Reactions: jd426

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That video was put up over six months ago and was based on the information being fed to them at that time.
I trust Danny's information a whole lot more than some the other's here who think they have "inside information" since he is directly affected by what's going on there. Shortly after that video went up Danny put his condo up for sale and all but announced he was taking his road show to another country.
Six months later, the condo is still for sale, Malibu's is still operating and only Danny knows what his next move might be. But he said along time ago he felt that his time on Playa Sosua was limited.

Agreed that he has as much information as anybody.
You seem to act like you are an authority on the matter but never really divulge your sources for information which I suspect is likely google searches and not from someone that really knows. The reality is the only ones that really know are those within the government making it all happen and they are not going to divulge the real truth to anyone but a trusted source that needs to know. I would be willing to bet that Mayor Willie knows full well what's going to happen
I did mention, but you may have missed. that I follow the news and what the government has said for many years about the north coast. Nothing more than that. Six months is not a long time when it comes to projects in the DR that have been on the books since before I moved here.
Just because they are only moving dirt and doing construction in one location doesn't mean there isn't more coming.
They pretty much have to start with the location they are in to keep from knocking down shacks and disrupting things to much.
They need to finish one area before starting on another or all hell is gonna break loose. These projects will take a very long time to complete.

100% agree. Will there be other plaza(s) eventually? The government has said that there will be at least one more plaza and it is in the governments plans on the tourism website for all to see.
They can't really do to much on the El Batey side without tearing some of the shacks down since there is not enough room on that side to do a whole lot without destruction of what's already there.
I don't expect any of the shacks behind the beach area to be left at all. Neither does Danny. And the elimination of all of those shacks is a part of the governments plan.
I for one definitely believe that change is coming to Sosua. One can't have progress without change. But it will remain to be seen if the future Sosua will end up being better or worse. I have absolutely no doubt there is a core group of visitors currently going there that they would rather not be there
Bingo. The government has succinctly so stated and attempted to act on this over the years in ways that were less than successful.
I also have no doubt that what they say and what eventually happens will be 2 different things and whatever happens at the playa will take a very long time to accomplish. This very subject has been debated for at least 15-20 years and probably way longer.

I also have no doubt that some will be happy with the results and some won't but there are always winners and losers with these projects.
Agree that this will take time and continue well after the beach work is done.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

I agree with you but it must said,
people were saying the exact same thing about Av. Duarte in SD when Mr. Collado first made his intentions known.

Perhaps maybe it's time we forget about all of the broken promises made by the last administration and focus on the current one?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Nope. I just pay attention. Regarding a high end hospital, or even a "normal" one I would go to, that would not be a government job.
The government has lower end understaffed public hospitals in the DR that I doubt you would want to go to.

As for what the new plaza(s) look like, artists renderings were done by the government. All the info is public.
All I know is, older people want healthcare where they live. They don't want to travel a good distance to go to the hospital.

What I said was the stuff JD Jones posted looks like a place I would like to hang at. Looked nice. The other stuff posted looks like crap.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Forgive me if this has been covered...
Are there going to be upgraded medical facilities/services to serve this new wealthy visitors to the Sosúa Beach Renovations?
Helipuerto on the roof of the hotel, emergency patient will be transported to PP or Santiago.

JJ

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you're not dying, what's the rush? It's only a half hour drive to Pto. Plata(after the bridge is fixed). I used to live in Miami. In traffic, it could easily take 25 minutes to get me to a hospital.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey