Sosua - A Refuge for Jews in the Dominican Republic

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I went to the talk. It was very interesting. I didn't know that Sosua was turned into a " little Germany". There were 700 Germans living there during that period. There was a German cafe, and a bakery. The woman giving the talk brought a person along who lived there for approximately 14 years or so. He left when he started to fall in love with a Dominicana. His parents did not want that. They wanted him to marry another Jew.

She touched upon why Trujillo wanted the Jews there. She stated that it was for the "lightening of the race" but he also wanted more farmers and to have an agriculture force in the DR. They made cheese and sausages and sold them throughout the country. There was also politics behind it. She did not get into it. Most of the audience was comprised of NY Jews not Dominicans. There was one Dominicana there and me.

I'm hoping that her book goes into it.

She further stated that there are still some of the Jews still living there. The barracks that they lived in when they first arrived are gone. There is a bank there now.

The Dominicans were very welcoming and they couldn't have done it without them.

Many left after Trujillo was executed. They were afraid. They thought that there was going to be a civil war.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Mr. Hess

I wish that the exhibit had all this info especially about Luis Hess turning 100. Great info.

I'm going to go back again and see it again.

We had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Hess while in vacation in April.
At 99 yrs. of age he is a remarkable man. My wife and I talked to him for hours about his 60 + years in the DR.
He is a real hoot !!!
It was the most memorable part of our vacation.
If we can swing it , we will return in October for the 100th B'Day of this great man .

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Hey Rumble... are they having a celebration for him? Do you know when?? I have vacation in October!

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
A group of ex-pats are putting together B'Day plans.
The date is October 3rd. I believe that is a Saturday and is also the actual day of his birthday. Tenative plans as I understand them are to shut down the street (I think it is Pedro Celiste) from the Happy Bar right up to Dr. Rosen for a few hours .
They are working on permits to gain permission to shut down the street. Hopefully this will happen . It will be a great day in Sosua if it all comes together.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
My vacation is at the end of October but I will keep it in mind... I guess I could go for a LONG weekend.....!!!