Sosua Bar Scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2006
Not a smiling eye in sight!

when irish eyes are smiling...it usually means they're up to something :)

The locals supposedly urinate on the Blarney stone at night then watch the tourists line up to kiss it during the day. I'm sure they are smiling all the time.

JenRob

Mar 27, 2006
Pedro's

IMHO, Pedro's have the best breakfast sandwich at a very good price and really great nachos. I am sorry they don't open until 1000 am and are closed most nights by 7 pm. Pity, and it wasn't like that last year. Anothe sign of less touristas?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
no its the sign of a bad business if it just closes when it feels like it- you have to be consistant or people just go somewhere else

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
no its the sign of a bad business if it just closes when it feels like it- you have to be consistant or people just go somewhere else
Gotta agree with you there JR. On our last trip, after making the effort a couple of times to go to Pedros only to find it closed and locked up, we sort of gave up on heading there first and went to the Brit or the Checkpoint instead when we ventured out. That then became our routine and as a result Pedros lost our business for most of our stay.
Back in May & will see if the situation has improved any.
Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
has the merengue bar and sosua life bars been declassified as bars ? :ermm:

and where is the new Rumba bar located ?

Last edited:

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
has the merengue bar and sosua life bars been declassified as bars ? :ermm:

and where is the new Rumba bar located ?

Directly opposite El Flow. I think they were hoping to get the customers that couldn't fit into El Flow, maybe they should have called it El overflow!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
that area is just wall to wall noise now with the two opposite each other, maybe they should agree to play the same music at the same time in both

Boricuajoe

Dec 30, 2004
Don't get it?

This thread has become a bit of bash Pedro McMurphy's. Some posters were complimentary and some opinions were totally off. If you don't know the inner workings of a place, then don't talk. I was there for a little over a year and we had returning regular customers from Europe, Canada and the U.S. All the place needed was a little continuity and loyal local customers once in a while and the place would thrive. Prices were reasonable, and I know I did whatever needed to make sure the customers were happy. Let's not place negativity on any one location. The economy has hurt all the businesses worldwidwide and I've noticed this is true here in Sosua. Give all the bars a shot and then pick one you like. Spend your money well and don't knock a place when something is different, just don't go there and don't bash.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Nobody is picking on Pedro

This thread has become a bit of bash Pedro McMurphy's. Some posters were complimentary and some opinions were totally off. If you don't know the inner workings of a place, then don't talk. I was there for a little over a year and we had returning regular customers from Europe, Canada and the U.S. All the place needed was a little continuity and loyal local customers once in a while and the place would thrive. Prices were reasonable, and I know I did whatever needed to make sure the customers were happy. Let's not place negativity on any one location. The economy has hurt all the businesses worldwidwide and I've noticed this is true here in Sosua. Give all the bars a shot and then pick one you like. Spend your money well and don't knock a place when something is different, just don't go there and don't bash.

Come on, Pedro's was hopping when it first opened in 2007 and there were 5 very cute waitresses/bartenders to chat with. As soon as T & F sold the place, it went down hill.

As manager, all you had to do was hire a few cuties with personality to build the business. Nobody travels to Sosua to look at a 60 something Turkey Neck with zero personality, over a beer. The food was inconsistant from day one. How can you build a clientele with eratic hours? I am sure some new sucker will come along and overpay for the business a third time, it does look like a nice place!

tambo'

Reactions: Bronxboy

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
isnt feed back a good way to improve- -people have said the opening hours are a bit hit and miss, so thats one improvement that could be implemented.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
The problem is that many business owners get defensive and view peoples comments as criticism instead of feedback and when a business ignores negative comments from it's customers or potential customers it is destined to fail!

Reactions: Bronxboy

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Come on, Pedro's was hopping when it first opened in 2007 and there were 5 very cute waitresses/bartenders to chat with. As soon as T & F sold the place, it went down hill.

As manager, all you had to do was hire a few cuties with personality to build the business. Nobody travels to Sosua to look at a 60 something Turkey Neck with zero personality, over a beer. The food was inconsistant from day one. How can you build a clientele with eratic hours? I am sure some new sucker will come along and overpay for the business a third time, it does look like a nice place!

tambo'

Got to agree with Tamborista (could very well be a first!). We loved Pedro's a couple of years ago with the original owners and it became our favourite watering hole. Quite a few nights spent chatting and drinking with them after normal closing hours.
One of these days I'm going to invent a noise filter to take out the sound of motorcycles, buy one of the bars along Pedro Clisante and make my forturne!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
One of these days I'm going to invent a noise filter to take out the sound of motorcycles, buy one of the bars along Pedro Clisante and make my forturne!

A few years ago, moto conchos were not allowed on the streets after a certain hour. There was talk about making Pedro Clisante a pedestrian street etc. Enforcement of the "Noise" laws. There are 100's of ways to make Sosua a quiet place but city hall have no balls.

Richie

Mar 30, 2005
This thread has become a bit of bash Pedro McMurphy's. Some posters were complimentary and some opinions were totally off. If you don't know the inner workings of a place, then don't talk...Spend your money well and don't knock a place when something is different, just don't go there and don't bash.

Err, why not??

If you have tried a place and found it to be crap, or worse haven't even been able to spend your money there at all because they couldn't be bothered opening, then you have every right to tell anyone that asks what you think. Anyone running a hospitality business should know that word of mouth matters and make every effort to keep customers satisfied. Getting churlish about criticism won't help and is indicative of an old fashioned "pub landlord" attitude of the worst sort.

Clearly it will take much more than a cheap sandwich to make a silk purse out of this particular sow's ear.

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
Remember first time I come to Sosua and saw this Irish pub. I felt happy, Irish pubs are famous for good beer and have tapped beer. Are know for be a place where you easy can meet other people.
But next day when I visit this place was I very disappointed, they had no English beer and only Dominican beers and many some other brand as Corona and no tap beer.
And the pub is very small.
This pub is maybe a nice place to be with several good friends, but as a single person is it boring. There are so many other bar in the neighbourhood, that are more open and you can see more of the life in the bar and in the street and easier to get in touch with other people.
And the chicken wings I once eat there was not to good.

Shall this pub or bar survive, must they either be like a real Irish pub, despite it is very small or change it to something else. Maybe to a nice restaurant.
The problem is the pub, new owner will not make any big difference..

bayman

Jan 23, 2010
How many different owners have been there since initial opening? Maybe this is an indication the Irish theme is not working, or is it bad location ( noise and no room on sidewalk for outside tables, for patrons to sit and view the street traffic and eye candy without fifteen motochoncos parked across the street, always revving their machines)

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
How's the NY Shark Bar doing?? I haven't been in there since his move to Pedro Clisante. The beach location was nice but at night it got a little "testy"

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
i dont know how anyone, anywhere in the world, can have an "irish pub" and NOT have guiness on tap, at the very least.

not to mention, jigs dinners, or at the very least, again, corned beef reuben sandwiches. (they may have the sandwiches, not sure, as i have only heard mention of thier wings)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Id give all the Dominican waitresses name tags with Irish names to start with and give them uniforms green with a black kilt.....

Status
Not open for further replies.