Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
We don't know that they are squatters and I doubt they are. Presumably, they are either renting from the the owner, or subletting from someone who is renting from the owner. However, once the owner cancels the leases, if they don't vacate, then they will be squatters and have to be evicted.

I remember the owner of one of the restaurants in the middle of the beach told me he paid rent and he paid the association.

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If as you say some are renting from the actual Owners , would it not be the duty of those Owners to INFORM their Tenants that at some point in the near future , that they need to Vacate and their Lease will be Voided , because the Land under them was and IS now DONATED to another owner ?

or does the DR not have any Rules of Law such as this to protect Tenants who are paying Rent in Good faith . ..

I am only asking.
Absolutely. They would have to be given notice to vacate.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The people the businesses rent from have no valid title and are the squatters renting out land they don't own since the land is either within the public domain or owned by the landowners that just donated the plazas at each end to the government which also guarantees public access.
Does anyone know that for a fact that the people the vendors are paying rent to don't have a lease from the owner?
How would someone, like a business owner on Sosua Beach, paying rent to someone renting out land they don't own be protected anywhere in the world?
The persons the vendors are paying rent to don't have to own the land. They just have to be leasing the land from the owner.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does anyone know that for a fact that the people the vendors are paying rent to don't have a lease from the owner?

The persons the vendors are paying rent to don't have to own the land. They just have to be leasing the land from the owner.
I seriously doubt the people being paid rent are leasing the land from the actual owners. But I could be wrong.

My guess is they were the squatters that "owned " the business before they sold or leased the business to the current business and nothing more.

• Haha
Reactions: It wasn't me

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They will be able to bring there coolers and spend the day? Will I be able to bring a cooler and spend the day? If front of condos and/or resorts. I would hazard to guess....there will be some hassling from overzealous guards going on...prevented...no, dissuaded, yes. We all know the way things go.

You are most probably right, no one is going to want to spend time on a beach like that.
There will always be those who want to lug a cooler to the beach, sit on a towel, and bake in the sun with no umbrella, but they will be few and far between.

Reactions: ramesses

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I seriously doubt the people being paid rent are leasing the land from the actual owners. But I could be wrong.

My guess is they were the squatters that "owned " the business before they sold or leased the business to the current business and nothing more.
If not, that would be a very good case of fraud for the vendors and I hope they sue their pants off.

It amazes me how no word has ever leaked out about if, or to whom, the vendors are paying rent.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

In other words, total crooks. I hope they get sued blind.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If not, that would be a very good case of fraud for the vendors and I hope they sue their pants off.

It amazes me how no word has ever leaked out about if, or to whom, the vendors are paying rent.
Nobody seemed to care, just like many things here. The government has had these plans for many years.

If the vendors are removed, who knows what recourse the vendors have to sue people renting land they don't own.
I suspect the only people who will win in that case are the lawyers. Look at Rocky's Aqua in Cabarete which was a deal far more expensive and not resolved.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Nobody seemed to care, just like many things here. The government has had these plans for many years.

If the vendors are removed, who knows what recourse the vendors have to sue people renting land they don't own.
I suspect the only people who will win in that case are the lawyers. Look at Rocky's Aqua in Cabarete which was a deal far more expensive and not resolved.
You really can't compare Rocky's to the beach shacks. That was a very complicated case. Here, you're talking about renting out property that you don't own, or don't have any legal rights to. If there aren't too many crooks involved here, the vendors could pool their money and the union could sue. In the end, it will probably depend on how well connected these crooks are as to whether or not anything comes of it.

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
There will always be those who want to lug a cooler to the beach, sit on a towel, and bake in the sun with no umbrella, but they will be few and far between.
That would be the majority of Dominicans except for the "bake in the sun with no umbrella."

They like beaches with trees or tables with umbrellas they can rent for the day, but food? uh-uh.

Dominicans have always preferred to take their own supplies to the beach; only the visiting tourist ones buy something from beach vendors.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A lot of DR1'ers are forgetting or ignoring the fact that El Presidente made a special trip here and stood in the beach parking lot and took possession of the gifted land right then and there and announced to whomever was willing to listen that the change was happening. I personally believe that once high season is over that the chit will hit the fan,meaning the bulldozers will show up.
I tend to agree, but didn't the President also personally approve the Cabarete by-pass? No sign of that happening.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I tend to agree, but didn't the President also personally approve the Cabarete by-pass? No sign of that happening.
Indeed. The bypass was bypassed. I am guessing because it would have necessitated the removal of thousands of people that were allowed to build houses on public park protected wetlands. That expansion was recently halted by Medio Ambiente and the Cabarete mayor, but removing them would require a major effort and is my best guess for the reason the bypass did not happen.

The case on Sosua Beach is also about squatters, but the beach is of course highly visible, unlike those out of sight and out of mind on the public wetlands in Cabarete, and lots of money is involved. That is why I expect changes to happen on the beach and so now do the vendors, evidently.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

I doubt any lawsuit filed will go forward. This administration won't allow it.

Reactions: windeguy

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Just for the record, Cabarete is busier now than it has been in the last 5 years. On any given night most of the main restaurants and bars are full. It is not at the level when I first moved here 18 years ago but it is very good to see Cabarete so busy again. I have been there 6 times in the last couple of weeks and it was the same each time, and these were all different days of the week. Sosua could easily have what Cabarete has at night (preferably without the the blatantly obvious prostitutes though) and could continue to provide the huge amount of employment that it currently offers. Restaurants are also very busy in Sosua, both with Dominicans and foreigners with their families.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just for the record, Cabarete is busier now than it has been in the last 5 years. On any given night most of the main restaurants and bars are full. It is not at the level when I first moved here 18 years ago but it is very good to see Cabarete so busy again. I have been there 6 times in the last couple of weeks and it was the same each time, and these were all different days of the week. Sosua could easily have what Cabarete has at night (preferably without the the blatantly obvious prostitutes though) and could continue to provide the huge amount of employment that it currently offers. Restaurants are also very busy in Sosua, both with Dominicans and foreigners with their families.
I agree, with explanation. I have seen Cabarete go from DEAD to a decent level of people. Certainly nowhere close to where it was when I moved here, but better. I attribute that to two things. There are far more full time expats now and that number is growing. Houses and condo projects are building and selling. Even more important as I see it is a good number of CV19 refugees who escaped from North America and the EU to live in a place with fewer restrictions for now. Post CV19, those number will probably drop quite a bit leaving the mostly the full time expats. That is what my observations of the current situation tell me. We have bene FULL with those people for months now with more coming and that is very different than the past couple of years. Same with my neighbors who rent.

Sosua Beach could have been set up for both night and day business. That seems unlikely under the current government plans. Time will tell.

Reactions: CristoRey

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

March 15, 2022​

Protest meeting beach vendors Sosúa

Thursday morning 10 March a protest and press meeting was held under the covered pavilion of NLB Nelson's Lounge & Bistro. The beach vendors, the board of the Asociación de Vendedores de Sosúa, the transport union, women in need and neighborhood organizations were present. Hundreds of people gathered for the protest.​

Protest meeting beach vendors Sosúa

Protest meeting beach vendors Sosúa​

The meeting opened with prayer and the singing of the national anthem. Subsequently, Andes Batista (chairman of the association of beach sellers) explained the problems with the proposed changes to the beach. There is strong opposition to these plans because all companies have to disappear and they will be given a new home in two plazas at the beginning of the beach. The empty beach will then become available for apartments and hotels. This was followed by a video projection on a large screen in which the beach vendors gave their opinion about the proposed changes. This regularly provoked laughter and applause. Finally, Mr. Lilo ended the meeting with the offer to negotiate with the government on behalf of the entrepreneurs. He was instructed that the plans for two plazas should be off the table.​

Big

Apr 24, 2019
sounds like they will be breaking ground in the next few days

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Obviously these business owners are very concerned for a reason.
The folks claiming nothing is going to happen anytime soon are
probably going to be proved wrong. I know several people who own/
operate businesses on the beach, many are good hard working honest
people. It will be sad watching their livelihoods be destroyed but this
President campaigned on "change" and changes are indeed happening.
I wonder if any of these owners (voters) are starting to feel a little buyer's
remorse?

To their credit, it doesn't appear these guys are going to walk away without
putting up a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.