Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
He also told me that the government was given all the land upon which the Casitas are now. Then we find out it is just two parcels, one at each end of the beach. What is it? I have no idea. I consider it all rumor until something official is published and the casitas are eventually removed.
I believe a best case senario would be the government stepping in to offer some type of compensation/ funds to assist the business owners who were there pre Covid or "X" amount of years.

Obviously I understand they are not obligated to do anything for these people but I think it would help to prevent this situation from turning ugly and potentially drawing a lot of unwanted attention.

lifeisgreat

Bronze
May 7, 2016
I believe a best case senario would be the government stepping in to offer some type of compensation/ funds to assist the business owners who were there pre Covid or "X" amount of years.

Obviously I understand they are not obligated to do anything for these people but I think it would help to prevent this situation from turning ugly and potentially drawing a lot of unwanted attention.
I doubt very much Gov is going to pay off a bunch of squatters…the rumour force is strong in Sosua.

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
Sounds like just a baseless rumor to me. It makes no sense after all the presentations of the plazas on either side to now completely abandon the plan, much as I would love it.
But, if the beach vendors have been promised this, can't the government just declare all the shacks as 'unsightly'? It wouldn't even be lie.....

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I doubt very much Gov is going to pay off a bunch of squatters…the rumour force is strong in Sosua.

True, that would be a bad precedent for them to set. But the developer might. Paying people to leave is a pretty common method. I've done it a few times myself.

I believe there was already an offer made to the vendors for vacating when the time comes. And some rejected the dollar amount saying it wasn't enough. The "food plaza" thing is also a form of a payoff. Although doubtful any current beach vendors will be chosen for those.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
The shacks are not 'unsightly' just in the eyes of those posting here in DR1.
Have any of the haters posted up in here actually been to Sosua Beach lately?
I've only been twice but don't remember seeing anything unsightly. It was the same as Boca Chica used to be before the redid it a couple of years ago.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I've only been twice but don't remember seeing anything unsightly. It was the same as Boca Chica used to be before the redid it a couple of years ago.
Sosua Beach looks nothing like Boca Chica.
Boca Chica kind of resembles the Port of Newark!

1653660577820.png

1653660647703.png

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0

Yourmaninvegas

I am here to protect and serve
Feb 16, 2016
-
And the remodeling of Boca Chica turned out very nice.
But if I understand what is going on correctly, the government is making a straight mafia power move on behalf of developer or a small group of developers to make the scene more attractive for expensive condos to be built. Selling out the natural resources of the people of the Dominican Republic for their own purposes. That is why hearing and evaluations are not part of the picture. Because it is tough for me to see how this is in the interest of the Dominican people at large.
The law and order types screaming about enforcement of the law up in here simply want to import the nanny state they emigrated from in order to latch on the teat of government and feel comfortable again. Ultimately this is going to destroy the unique ambiance and frontier nature of the Dominican Republic that initially attracted me to the place.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
But if I understand what is going on correctly, the government is making a straight mafia power move on behalf of developer or a small group of developers to make the scene more attractive for expensive condos to be built.

So no, you don't understand correctly what is going on. The condos, when built, will be on private property, built with private funding .
How is that a Mafia Power Move?

• Wow
Reactions: Tamborista

Yourmaninvegas

I am here to protect and serve
Feb 16, 2016
-
So no, you don't understand correctly what is going on. The condos, when built, will be on private property, built with private funding .
How is that a Mafia Power Move?
Ok, if it so simple, then tell me what is the big deal requiring DR1 topic and 32+ pages of commentary. You over simplify sir and insult me in the process.
Am I allowed to have my opinion, even if you consider it misinformed?

Reactions: Tamborista

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
The shacks are not 'unsightly' just in the eyes of those posting here in DR1.
Have any of the haters posted up in here actually been to Sosua Beach lately?

I was there in April. The only unsightly things are the vacant/abandoned places and El Gordo on the Charamicos side in his usual perch. Can't believe he survived the pandemic, but good for him.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Ok, if it so simple, then tell me what is the big deal requiring DR1 topic and 32+ pages of commentary. You over simplify sir and insult me in the process.
Am I allowed to have my opinion, even if you consider it misinformed?

I don't see where I insulted you, but please accept my apology. Is calling other posters Haters an insult?

I'm not over simplifying anything, but it's just that simple. It's about private property rights. The beach vendors don't own the land they built on. Nobody is vilifying them, but they don't have a lot of rights in this case except to be treated decently.

North America is going into a what may be a nasty recession, this whole thing may get delayed again anyways.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Sosua Beach looks nothing like Boca Chica.
Boca Chica kind of resembles the Port of Newark!

View attachment 5694
View attachment 5696
LMAO at the Port of Newark Comment .. That is not exactly FAIR .. lol
You need to look pretty FAR to your Right to even see that Port outside of Boca Chica Beach , and that Sosua Beach Picture is absolutely Spectacular ..
So the Comparison is kind of Skewed .. lol
Boca Chica, IMO is excellent for kids , because you can wade out like 100 Yards ,and then you can snorkel those Rocks . so not exactly a good comparison.
but funny.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
LMAO at the Port of Newark Comment .. That is not exactly FAIR .. lol
You need to look pretty FAR to your Right to even see that Port outside of Boca Chica Beach , and that Sosua Beach Picture is absolutely Spectacular ..
So the Comparison is kind of Skewed .. lol
Boca Chica, IMO is excellent for kids , because you can wade out like 100 Yards ,and then you can snorkel those Rocks . so not exactly a good comparison.
but funny.
You find my post funny, funny how, funny like a clown?
Do I make you laugh?

• Haha
Reactions: BermudaRum