Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
It says right here that they will build a plaza and give loans to the vendors so that they can continue their businesses:

"Collado sostuvo que en playa Sosuua se hará esa anhelada obra que impulsará aún mas el turismo construirá una plaza para vendedores, a los cuales se les dotará de préstamos a través de Promipyme para que continúen emprendiendo."
Correct did not catch that one! Thanks!

Reactions: CristoRey

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Danny posted his interpretation of above news on his weekly Vlog.
Lemme Guess .
Each Beach Vendor who maintains his Shack looking nice , will be assigned 2 Spots, double Decker , they get double , so 4 spots ... those who have not painted in a while get only 1 spot, and the ones who are Raggedy , will be forced to Renovate or face the Bulldozer

. something along those Lines ?..

Reactions: windeguy

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
600 million pesos just to put in a parking lot? No way! And 300 parking spaces in a country where they almost never plan for adequate parking? I'm not buying that either.

Reactions: habi

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Lemme Guess .
Each Beach Vendor who maintains his Shack looking nice , will be assigned 2 Spots, double Decker , they get double , so 4 spots ... those who have not painted in a while get only 1 spot, and the ones who are Raggedy , will be forced to Renovate or face the Bulldozer

. something along those Lines ?..
Hope this turns out to be true as I do not want to see anyone's livelihoods destroyed but if hotels or condos are to be built near the beach I would not be surprised to see these businesses/ shacks permanently removed.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It says right here that they will build a plaza and give loans to the vendors so that they can continue their businesses:

"Collado sostuvo que en playa Sosuua se hará esa anhelada obra que impulsará aún mas el turismo construirá una plaza para vendedores, a los cuales se les dotará de préstamos a través de Promipyme para que continúen emprendiendo."
One plaza could not possibly fit more than several of the vendors. My question remains what happens to the rest of them, and I think I know.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hope this turns out to be true as I do not want to see anyone's livelihoods destroyed but if hotels or condos are to be built near the beach I would not be surprised to see these businesses/ shacks permanently removed.
I have a little doubt that most of the businesses will no longer exist. I never had doubt about that. But let’s see what happens when they can fit only several of those current vendors in the plaza along with two other restaurants and that’s it…

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The beach vendors as some of the toughest of tough entrepreneurs.
Running a restaurant is not easy.
Fighting hard is in their interests
But like another active thread in the North Coast section (lot of mouth up north)
I doubt if anybody here posting about the subject has any skin in the game (including me).
But I do happen to like Sosua beach as it is.
It has a certain vibe to it.

That being said...
These entrepreneurs will close up shop and move on to their next opportunity if the CAT 352's (that was nice post, I might have to give it a like) show up.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Are you coming to watch the festivities with us?

Bring a lawn chair.

And some body armor.
Nope, when the PN used tear gas and heavy equipment to eliminate the houses at El Rocon in Cabarete we went in the opposite direction until the gas cleared and the houses were demolished.

My plans remain the same and would avoid that area for a couple of days. And it seems the time is near.

Reactions: ctrob

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They didn't seem to consult anyone before tearing up the hillside across the road from the Charamicos entrance, so don't expect them to listen to anyone's input about maintaining the quaintness of the beach.

Everything has to be modeled after something "modern", or in other words the poorer people are making some money, that draws some attention from the wealthy and so the vultures decide they want to profit off those ideas, expand on it and make it more expensive and force those peasants out.

Like taking The Blackhills from The Lakota Indians when gold was discovered there.
Maybe this will result in Abinader's Last Stand ?

Where will be left to go for the Non-AI crowds or those that don't want to wear a plastic bracelet ?

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016

Bring a lawn chair.

And some body armor.
You might want to bring lots of food and drink just in case things develop in Dominican time. Never can figure out the obvious joy some of you people get out of hard working locals losing their jobs. Must be a subsection of the gringos thing.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
You might want to bring lots of food and drink just in case things develop in Dominican time. Never can figure out the obvious joy some of you people get out of hard working locals losing their jobs. Must be a subsection of the gringos thing.
This is the part that amazes me. Here we have people who work for a living. Many revel in the fact people will lose those jobs and be drawn into the corporate cogs. The joy is palpable.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

Bring a lawn chair.

And some body armor.
9B2F6C55-DD29-4B53-863D-41A19008B599.jpeg

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Silliness. Everything comes to an end. We live in a world of impermanence. Everything we have is on loan. We think it's "ours". We feel good because look at all "my stuff". Well lo siento mucho. One day we get the call and we'll inevitably have to turn it all in.

People lose jobs. People go through tough times. Other opportunities almost always come along. It's like this dirty beach front shanty row is a sacred cow. Its time is up. Let's all move on. No one's revelling in others' misfortunes.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
They didn't seem to consult anyone before tearing up the hillside across the road from the Charamicos entrance, so don't expect them to listen to anyone's input about maintaining the quaintness of the beach.

Everything has to be modeled after something "modern", or in other words the poorer people are making some money, that draws some attention from the wealthy and so the vultures decide they want to profit off those ideas, expand on it and make it more expensive and force those peasants out.

Like taking The Blackhills from The Lakota Indians when gold was discovered there.
Maybe this will result in Abinader's Last Stand ?

Where will be left to go for the Non-AI crowds or those that don't want to wear a plastic bracelet ?
"Seem" being the operative word. We don't know. We don't even know what we don't know.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
This is the part that amazes me. Here we have people who work for a living. Many revel in the fact people will lose those jobs and be drawn into the corporate cogs. The joy is palpable.
It's sad. We've known some of these business owners and their families for almost 20 years and many of the businesses were handed down within families.

Some say "the business owners have no rights", "They don't own the land", etc....but of course, the people who do own the land have allowed people to parcel off the lots, have a beach business association, collect "rent" from the businesses and control who gets to have a business and how much they are charged, etc... This is not at all a case of people squatting, or in any way taking advantage of the owner of the land. They've just put in a few levels of control and management.

If the actual owners now choose, and of course the Gov't is involved too, then there's really nothing to stop the inevitable, but it's a damn shame. I'll wait and see what happens and give it a chance, but I anticipate the worse as has happened many times over in the DR. Sterile, boring design, too much concrete, and absolutely none of the ambiance, the atmosphere, the sounds of the treefrogs, the wind through the beautiful trees, and cows falling through roofs LOL

I doubt I'll return there after 1 miserable visit. Thankfully I'm almost never there now anyway and have many other beaches to choose from.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
Silliness. Everything comes to an end. We live in a world of impermanence. Everything we have is on loan. We think it's "ours". We feel good because look at all "my stuff". Well lo siento mucho. One day we get the call and we'll inevitably have to turn it all in.

People lose jobs. People go through tough times. Other opportunities almost always come along. It's like this dirty beach front shanty row is a sacred cow. Its time is up. Let's all move on. No one's revelling in others' misfortunes.
Easy for you to say. A little empathy and sympathy are called for. Not the usual cliches and callousness. People's livelihoods and fortunes are at stake, as are hundreds of jobs that will not be replaced. There's virtually no chance for most of the vendors to be allowed, even if they could afford the new investment and what will almost certainly be much higher rents for the new businesses. The cronies of the politicians and those in control of the project will all get rich and our friends, their staff, and families with get screwed over.

Status
Not open for further replies.