Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ramessses: The beach in Sosua will not be made private. That is not going to happen. That was never a part of the plans and is not today. The government has even been gifted more land, the land in the area of the casitas in a recent ceremony, so that land is not even private for a distance behind the 60 meter mark which is already public and was never private property. So it does matter and will continue to matter for the people of Sosua and others that use the beach in the future.

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The first 60 meters from the mean high tide line will always belong to the public. It can't be taken away. Vendors won't be able to construct casitas there w/o government approval and private property owners can try to make access difficult though.
Access is likely to be from either end of the beach in the future. Hard to say what the access in the middle will become without knowing more.
(Keep in mind what happened recently when the government finally cleared out the beach shacks at Encuentro for the public 60 meter mark to be left open and will not let anyone encroach the 60 meter mark. It was a turning point in the corruption present on that beach.)

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Access is likely to be from either end of the beach in the future. Hard to say what the access in the middle will become without knowing more.
(Keep in mind what happened recently when the government finally cleared out the beach shacks at Encuentro for the public 60 meter mark to be left open and will not let anyone encroach the 60 meter mark. It was a turning point in the corruption present on that beach.)
What happened when the government cleared out the beach shacks?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What happened when the government cleared out the beach shacks?
They cleaned the area where the shacks were. Now there are a couple of businesses left that are behind the 60 meter protected mark at Encuentro and the public can now access the beach from either end as they could before. Other than that, nothing "happened" other than that the correct thing was done to eliminate a "land grab" attempted by a corporation building in that area. Things at Encuentro are now as they should be after the corrupt leadership was removed in Cabarete.

Reactions: anng3 and JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Was talking about the beach shacks in Encuentro. Remembered there was some gunfire?
Gun fire happened back when an illegal restaurant was "removed" at the east end of the Encuentro area near a small bay, and forcibly so by the PN. Yes, there were gunshots back then several years ago. Now back to Sosua beach and Sosua v2.0

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
None of this matters. The beach will be no longer available to the everyday person. It's the way things go. Like I said before, it is not the first time I have seen this happen, it certainly won't be the last. Money always wins. All the fight in the world ain't going to change that fact. One moves on the next beach and enjoys it until they take that one away and so on.
When the President visited Sosua to announce the upcoming changes to Sosua beach he clearly stated that the beach would remain open to the public.

Reactions: anng3 and windeguy

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
When the President visited Sosua to announce the upcoming changes to Sosua beach he clearly stated that the beach would remain open to the public.
ramessses: The beach in Sosua will not be made private. That is not going to happen. That was never a part of the plans and is not today. The government has even been gifted more land, the land in the area of the casitas in a recent ceremony, so that land is not even private for a distance behind the 60 meter mark which is already public and was never private property. So it does matter and will continue to matter for the people of Sosua and others that use the beach in the future.

You really think a group of young Dominicans or large families from in country will be be allowed to spend the day at the beach without being harassed. I would be flabbergasted if there were allowed to stay. It will be public to some but we all know once the condos are in...things will tighten up a fair amount,

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
You really think a group of young Dominicans or large families from in country will be be allowed to spend the day at the beach without being harassed. I would be flabbergasted if there were allowed to stay. It will be public to some but we all know once the condos are in...things will tighten up a fair amount,
I would bet with 1300/night rooms the beach will be significantly "modified", no matter what they are saying presently

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, well, they, as in private owners, tried to control Encuentro which is out of sight and out of mind for most people on the north coast and they failed. It did take a while to clear that up.

I am going with the public access will remain for Dominicans at Sosua regardless of what is or isn't built behind the government land and 60 meter mark. Sosua beach is a far more public and visible asset to be lost to public access. Harassing Dominicans that are on that beach? Good luck with that.
Time will tell if I am correct.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Yes, well, they, as in private owners, tried to control Encuentro which is out of sight and out of mind for most people on the north coast and they failed. It did take a while to clear that up.

I am going with the public access will remain for Dominicans at Sosua regardless of what is or isn't built behind the government land and 60 meter mark. Sosua beach is a far more public and visible asset to be lost to public access. Harassing Dominicans that are on that beach? Good luck with that.
Time will tell if I am correct.
Encuentro is peanuts. A pretty place, yes, but one of worlds largest hotel chains decide to build there and adios Benny's surfs up brau

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Encuentro is peanuts. A pretty place, yes, but one of worlds largest hotel chains decide to build there and adios Benny's surfs up brau
Encuentro is peanuts. So what? The squatters with money were cleared out. No squatters with more money are going to have the beach closed unless they change the laws in the DR or are somehow able to buy up all of the land around the entire beach, which I don't think is even possible since the access points are public roads.

But, this is about Sosua beach. Neither beach is going to be blocked to public access.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Encuentro is peanuts. So what? The squatters with money were cleared out. No squatters with more money are going to have the beach closed unless they change the laws in the DR or are somehow able to buy up all of the land around the entire beach, which I don't think is even possible since the access points are public roads.

But, this is about Sosua beach. Neither beach is going to be blocked to public access.
You brought up Encuentro. Things will change in Sosua. The more investment from big players, the easier and faster the change.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You brought up Encuentro. Things will change in Sosua. The more investment from big players, the easier and faster the change.
Indeed I did bring up another beach in the same district to show what the government does to squatters, even if it takes time and lots of hand wringing to get over the corruption. That took several years.

Agreed that things will change, even on Sosua Beach, but that has taken almost forever. That change isn't necessarily fed by big money investors, on that point I don't agree. It is based upon the laws finally being enforced.

danely18

Feb 22, 2018
I've followed along here and I'm trying to get to the facts. So far, I see that the President came and had a ceremonial announcement of a title transfer of land behind the Sosua beach area that might include the land now used by the vendors. The vendors participated in a meeting with Sosua officials to voice their opinions and request their participation in whatever happens next. Several people here mention the 60 meters rule, and how that may impact everything else. After that point, there are a lot of other ideas around what this all means. Are there any other big, known facts in this story? Who got title to the land?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I've followed along here and I'm trying to get to the facts. So far, I see that the President came and had a ceremonial announcement of a title transfer of land behind the Sosua beach area that might include the land now used by the vendors. The vendors participated in a meeting with Sosua officials to voice their opinions and request their participation in whatever happens next. Several people here mention the 60 meters rule, and how that may impact everything else. After that point, there are a lot of other ideas around what this all means. Are there any other big, known facts in this story? Who got title to the land?
The government was gifted the extra land from the landowners that have the land up the hill to the main road, and I understand that they own the land south of the main road as well further up the hill. The President of the DR was in town for this gifting of land to accept it.

The land owners planned to build three structures, but that has yet to be done and may never be done.

The casitas on public land or in part on what was once private land now given to the government (hence with no titles of ownership of said land possible) are likely to be replaced by buildings on each end of the beach with only a few vendors in each (plans are decades old) - also those are plans and talk with little action so far.

Most vendors will no longer have shops since there would only be a few shops at each end of the beach. IFF the plans happen to be completed.

Public access to the beach will be preserved, at least at either end of the beach.

That is how I understand the situation put as simply as possible.

Reactions: danely18

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The government was gifted the extra land from the landowners that have the land up the hill to the main road, and I understand that they own the land south of the main road as well further up the hill. The President of the DR was in town for this gifting of land to accept it.

The original conceptual drawings showed villas on the South slope. Not a bad idea, They would have awesome views.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The original conceptual drawings showed villas on the South slope. Not a bad idea, They would have awesome views.
The last I heard that instead of villas some type of multi-story apartments/ condos were to be built in 3 separate buildings just up from the land donated to the government and north of the highway. That is up to the land owner.
As always, please don't invest in pre-construction promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.