Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
When the President visited Sosua to announce the upcoming changes to Sosua beach he clearly stated that the beach would remain open to the public.
A politician making a promise!!!!!
We can take that to the bank?
What else could he say, the guy is no fool?

You guys suddenly have faith in political promises in this country because it aligns with what you think.
Healthy skepticism has disappeared.
Interesting to see people who claimed to be Libertarians suddenly develop trust in political promises.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

You guys suddenly have faith in political promises in this country because it aligns with what you think.
Interesting to see people who claimed to be Libertarians suddenly develop trust in political promises.
Can you name one public beach that the government has closed to the public?

Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

You believe what you want and I will go along with reality. Libertarianism has zero to do with it.

Reactions: thompstr

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The only place in the free world I have seen the gubmint control beach access is the Jersey shore. Many beaches there you must purchase a beach badge-pass. Florida tried and failed. Some spots on the beach may as well be private as they wont sell anything to a person not staying in the hotel resort, including umbrella, food and drinks.

Reactions: jd426

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The only place in the free world I have seen the gubmint control beach access is the Jersey shore. Many beaches there you must purchase a beach badge-pass. Florida tried and failed. Some spots on the beach may as well be private as they wont sell anything to a person not staying in the hotel resort, including umbrella, food and drinks.
The government will control beach access at Sosua by keeping it open to the public. I am only 99.99999% certain of that for Sosua beach.

All beaches that are not completely surrounded by private land can be accessed by the public. Only when the entire beach is surrounded by private land, like the tiny beach at Sea Horse Ranch for example can the public be prevented from accessing it by land.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You believe what you want and I will go along with reality. Libertarianism has zero to do with it.
Ouch, touched a nerve eh!

Just wondered as I know a few Libertarians and not a one has any faith in political promises.
To a man or woman they are skeptical of vote seeking politicians making promises.

I hope public access continues for our beach but am concerned when the camel's nose gets under the tent.
If the city had genuine interest in the beach why have they completely ignored it for years?.
Anytime a public asset has enormous value it deserves careful scrutiny.
That is all I am suggesting. I like my beach.

Why would the city refuse to let the beach vendors into the conversation?
It would seem they are the experts with the experience and could be helpful.
Could it be the city does not want prying eyes. Nothing here to see, move on?
In first world countries there are transparency requirements.

The DR has the unenviable well earned reputation for widespread corruption.
Be nice if the politicos in power are honest and only want what is in the public interest regarding changes to the beach.

Reactions: It wasn't me

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Just wondered as I know a few Libertarians and not a one has any faith in political promises.
To a man or woman they are skeptical of vote seeking politicians making promises.

I hope public access continues for our beach but am concerned when the camel's nose gets under the tent.
If the city had genuine interest in the beach why have they completely ignored it for years?.

Be nice if the politicos in power are honest and only want what is in the public interest regarding changes to the beach.

Although , on the surface what you say here almost makes Sense and sounds almost Reasonable.

Isn't it a fact that the Beach Vendors are in fact SQUATTERS who knew they were living on Borrowed time ? , They may be paying "rent" to someone , but it has no bearing on the Land beneath them , which does not belong to them .
Them are the Facts .. or is that no longer true ?

Just going by what we have Read so far about this .

Reactions: ctrob

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No, you have no idea how I really feel, and no nerves were touched by you.
I am going to have to start calling myself an Independent, since I don't fall into your theory of what a Libertarian is. Oh, well.
I do not expect you will ever be prevented from going on Sosua beach.

The Beach vendors have always been illegally there. The plans do not require their involvement. It is the government in this case that will make those decisions because the land usage is under the jurisdiction of the government.

How productive will a conversation be when they find out their number will be reduced to a few from the dozens there are now?

Far better to just remove them all in a day or two and implement the changes from then onward.

The access to the beach is for everyone.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Although , on the surface what you say here almost makes Sense and sounds almost Reasonable.

Isn't it a fact that the Beach Vendors are in fact SQUATTERS who knew they were living on Borrowed time ? , They may be paying "rent" to someone , but it has no bearing on the Land beneath them , which does not belong to them .
Them are the Facts .. or is that no longer true ?

Just going by what we have Read so far about this .
Those are the facts. They are squatters paying rent to someone that laughs all the way to the bank.

Zoomy fails to understand the "libertarian" concept that the beaches in the DR are public and for everyone and not for the squatters.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They are doing what's in the public's best interest. The secured a donation of land from the property owner and there will be a plaza of shops, restaurants, and bars at both ends of the beach for some of the vendors. The other option was for the government to do nothing and then there would have been nothing for the public there.

Reactions: ctrob

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I was told by friends who live in Charamicos back in July that all three public access points will remain open but the plots from Charamicos to El Batey are being carved up/ sold off to the highest bidders and favorite cronnies.

What they will probably do is limit the hours of public access. Will be easier for them to keep the beach clean and control all of those unruly libertarians.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
They are doing what's in the public's best interest. The secured a donation of land from the property owner and there will be a plaza of shops, restaurants, and bars at both ends of the beach for some of the vendors. The other option was for the government to do nothing and then there would have been nothing for the public there.
It was unique and was working well and they should of just left it alone imho.

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some people think nothing will happen. I doubt that.

I expect the plans will be implemented. Now that we are hitting Peack Covid, people are moving on, the land donations were made
with the President accepting them, beach unions are concerned, etc.

I expect plans that were on hold will start to be implemented. Like the W in Cabarete at the site of an old AI resort was stalled,
Sosua beach is likely to be changed forever starting within this year.

I am not sure how the government could limit hours of public access as was mentioned by CristoRey. Is that within the laws regarding beach access?

Reactions: rover

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If the government had just "left it alone", the owners of the property would have bulldozed all the casitas and there would be nothing there. The property is privately owned.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If the government had just "left it alone", the owners of the property would have bulldozed all the casitas and there would be nothing there. The property is privately owned.
Was privately owned : until the land owners donated it to the government.
Was there a "deal" going on? You decide.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Was privately owned : until the land owners donated it to the government.
Was there a "deal" going on? You decide.
I thought the land owners only donated parcels at either end of the beach where the new "plazas" with bars, restaurants, and shops will go(?).

Status
Not open for further replies.