Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
This is going to be a shock to many of you but when men get older, their lives revolve less around sex and more around hanging out with their friends at a venue like Sosua beach. Sorry to tear down the prevailing whoremonger image.
This is me...I love the beach to hang and shoot the crap with my buddies. It's always a perfect relaxing day. I am going to miss it if it is gone. It looks like it will be taken away. A real shame.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
As I state above, I have no anger, just amusement at the situation.

Now, how long before the beach shacks are gone from Sosua Beach?

Will I be angry if the beach shacks go or stay? Not in the least.

How can you be amused at thousands of Dominicans having their livelihood destroyed?
Gleefully waiting for bulldozers to move in.
It's great you have resources, why be so callous in regard to the people of your adopted country who are not as fortunate?

The thread is specifically about the owners of businesses on the beach, not your favourite subject.

Sosua has a large ex-pat community from the US, CAN, EU who live there and some operate businesses.
They have absolutely nothing to do with prostitution.
Lay the blame on JetBlue trippers.

To have a shade treed beach with restaurants and bars where on can sit down in a simple atmosphere, is what the attraction is.
Obviously people don't flock to Cabarete Beach in great numbers to vacation there.
Cabarete has been in decline for a long time.
If you see value buy the many available condos, vacant land and build to cash in.

One can see Alicia beach, without seating or shade.
Few go there other than tourists from Casa Marina who walk down the stairs.
A little restaurant on a paved street above.

On Sosua beach there is good food available, with an international vibe from all the different Nationals.
If the beach services are bulldozed, a major reason for tourists to come to Sosua will be removed.
Having a pavilion on pavement at the entrance with now view and no beach, will not cut it.

People may as well just book an all inclusive.
One can have better and cheaper service in US beach resorts.
In the DR, ITBIS Tax is 18% Plus 10% mandatory tip adding 28% to food and drinks, as in Cabarete or any legal business.
If prices are at US or higher levels, with less quality or service why go?
Of course there are great restaurants in Santiago or S.D. but the average gringo wants a beach vacation.

Maybe then prostitution will be all that Sosua has to offer, in addition to condo tourism.
Either way no reason to rejoice, the pain and loss for local Dominicans and their families will be real.
It's not just the on beach businesses but all associated service suppliers.
Regardless, Dominicans in power will decide.

These include restaurants, bars, liquor stores, dining halls, shops, warehouses, banks and cafes. In addition to owners of boats, catamarans, snorkelers, divers, glass boats, banana boats, hairdressers, masseurs, manicurists, musicians, fruit growers, beach chair renters, shrimpers, and oyster farmers. But also motoconchos, taxis, public transport and hardware stores and supermarkets depend on it. According to these union representatives, the beach is the largest job engine in Sosúa.​

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Once again, I agree with your post 1,000 % + LT
Spot on , every word ... and I love the Bold part about how many different people will be seriously affected..
Why would anyone be gleeful at the thought of Bulldozers and excavators tearing up the Atmosphere on Sosua beach ?

Sure the business Owners may not even be there with any kind of DEED , and the Leases are probably worthless .
( so call them squatters if it makes you feel better about yourself)
And I cant for the life of me understand why any "business person" would want to participate in such an Investment ..

BUT it sure feels GOOD when I am laying under that Shade tree, with the sand between my toes, and Tostone Crumbs on my Belly and a Cold Presidente at my side .. and a guy who will run back and forth to get me more of same, for just a small Propina ..
You take all that away ,, and yes I may never have a good enough reason to go back to Sosua Beach . That Atmosphere will be lost forever .
The Whore mongers are just part of the scenery . nothing more .
So Gleefully thinking that tearing down the beach shacks will solve all those "Problems" ?
is like planning on burning down your House to get rid of some Mice .

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Let's get back to the subject of Beach vendors wanting more involvement in the decisions affecting the beach, shall we?

Reactions: ramesses

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
We.ve all heard about this happening for decades now any reason to believe this time its for real?
Fence built off hwy ..they government pushed for change and said what they wanted from area and all of Sosua 6yrs ago after gringo round up happened by accident..COVID slowed it down , 1st was move 100 sq meter play area from downtown…but in true Dominican time it will be done ,like it or not change is apron us nothing anybody here can do about it.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Fence built off hwy ..they government pushed for change and said what they wanted from area and all of Sosua 6yrs ago after gringo round up happened by accident..COVID slowed it down , 1st was move 100 sq meter play area from downtown…but in true Dominican time it will be done ,like it or not change is apron us nothing anybody here can do about it.
100 square meters seems kinda small to me.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This is not the first beach the national government has done the same thing in other beaches. Seems to a plan made for all the beaches used by tourists

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes. They did the same thing at Playa Grande years ago. In the end, the restaurants were nicer, but there were fewer of them and both they and the new parking lot were further away from the beach than before.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes. They did the same thing at Playa Grande years ago. In the end, the restaurants were nicer, but there were fewer of them and both they and the new parking lot were further away from the beach than before.
I seem to remember in the article about the President's trip that they were also going to do a beach in the Puerto Plata area in the same way

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
This is not the first beach the national government has done the same thing in other beaches. Seems to a plan made for all the beaches used by tourists
Yes, make them all the same...generic. It's a crying shame. I know a couple of owners who have said they are looking at other ways to make a living....just in case.

I wonder if they will remove the old road? I would think so as this is used by Dominicans to get from Charamicos to El Batey and back.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How can you be amused at thousands of Dominicans having their livelihood destroyed?

You have serious reading comprehension issues clouded by something. I said I am amused at whoremongers. Get it yet? You know what some people call Gentlemen? Whoremongers are the amusement. Not people losing jobs. The government wants the whore and whoremongers out of site. The government also wants to redevelop Sosua Beach. Take up the negative effects with them before it is too late.

Gleefully waiting for bulldozers to move in.
It's great you have resources, why be so callous in regard to the people of your adopted country who are not as fortunate?

The thread is specifically about the owners of businesses on the beach, not your favourite subject.

I am not gleeful about beach shacks being bulldozed. Once again you have very serious reading comprehension issues. I stated the government has had plans to remove the illegal shacks with no legal right to be there for decades and it appears that is going to happen. Far more formidable houses were removed in one day with all traces gone in one week from a spot in Cabarete on the ocean front directly across from where I live, so this could happen very quickly once the word is given. I have no say at all in the matter.

Sosua has a large ex-pat community from the US, CAN, EU who live there and some operate businesses.
They have absolutely nothing to do with prostitution.
Lay the blame on JetBlue trippers.
Agreed for the most part.
To have a shade treed beach with restaurants and bars where on can sit down in a simple atmosphere, is what the attraction is.
Obviously people don't flock to Cabarete Beach in great numbers to vacation there.
Cabarete has been in decline for a long time.
If you see value buy the many available condos, vacant land and build to cash in.
I don't disagree that Sosua has some attraction. In the 18 years I have lived full time in Cabarete, I probably went to Sosua beach 20 times.

One can see Alicia beach, without seating or shade.
Few go there other than tourists from Casa Marina who walk down the stairs.
A little restaurant on a paved street above.

On Sosua beach there is good food available, with an international vibe from all the different Nationals.
If the beach services are bulldozed, a major reason for tourists to come to Sosua will be removed.
Having a pavilion on pavement at the entrance with now view and no beach, will not cut it.
I never once said it was a great idea. It is simply the long term plan finally to be realized by the government.
People may as well just book an all inclusive.
One can have better and cheaper service in US beach resorts.
In the DR, ITBIS Tax is 18% Plus 10% mandatory tip adding 28% to food and drinks, as in Cabarete or any legal business.
If prices are at US or higher levels, with less quality or service why go?
Of course there are great restaurants in Santiago or S.D. but the average gringo wants a beach vacation.
I hate all inclusive resorts, but most people that have a week or two a year of vacation don't seem to mind them. Hence the growth of Punta Cana and the decline of north coast tourism in general. Cabarete now has a Lifestyles resort and a Marriott purchased piece of land which lies idle. Perhaps Marriott will eventually work on that. Sosua beach may also have some new condos up the hill from where the landowners donated the part closer to the beach to the government for the changes to be made.
Maybe then prostitution will be all that Sosua has to offer, in addition to condo tourism.
Either way no reason to rejoice, the pain and loss for local Dominicans and their families will be real.
It's not just the on beach businesses but all associated service suppliers.
Regardless, Dominicans in power will decide.

These include restaurants, bars, liquor stores, dining halls, shops, warehouses, banks and cafes. In addition to owners of boats, catamarans, snorkelers, divers, glass boats, banana boats, hairdressers, masseurs, manicurists, musicians, fruit growers, beach chair renters, shrimpers, and oyster farmers. But also motoconchos, taxis, public transport and hardware stores and supermarkets depend on it. According to these union representatives, the beach is the largest job engine in Sosúa.​

My original point is that whoremongers will disagree that Sosua Beach is the biggest job engine in Sosua, since whoremongers in this forum have many times stated that Sosua will disappear if they don't not fly down from NY on a regular basis. That is what amuses me. Get it yet?

Now that the major job engine in Sosua, allegedly the beach and not the whoremongers, is going to undergo a severe makeover, how soon will that start?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
You have serious reading comprehension issues clouded by something. I said I am amused at whoremongers. Get it yet? You know what some people call Gentlemen? Whoremongers are the amusement. Not people losing jobs. The government wants the whore and whoremongers out of site. The government also wants to redevelop Sosua Beach. Take up the negative effects with them before it is too late.

I am not gleeful about beach shacks being bulldozed. Once again you have very serious reading comprehension issues. I stated the government has had plans to remove the illegal shacks with no legal right to be there for decades and it appears that is going to happen. Far more formidable houses were removed in one day with all traces gone in one week from a spot in Cabarete on the ocean front directly across from where I live, so this could happen very quickly once the word is given. I have no say at all in the matter.

I don't disagree that Sosua has some attraction. In the 18 years I have lived full time in Cabarete, I probably went to Sosua beach 20 times.

I never once said it was a great idea. It is simply the long term plan finally to be realized by the government.

I hate all inclusive resorts, but most people that have a week or two a year of vacation don't seem to mind them. Hence the growth of Punta Cana and the decline of north coast tourism in general. Cabarete now has a Lifestyles resort and a Marriott purchased piece of land which lies idle. Perhaps Marriott will eventually work on that. Sosua beach may also have some new condos up the hill from where the landowners donated the part closer to the beach to the government for the changes to be made.

My original point is that whoremongers will disagree that Sosua Beach is the biggest job engine in Sosua, since whoremongers in this forum have many times stated that Sosua will disappear if they don't not fly down from NY on a regular basis. That is what amuses me. Get it yet?

Now that the major job engine in Sosua, allegedly the beach and not the whoremongers, is going to undergo a severe makeover, how soon will that start?
I always thought the beach was a major draw for tourism...not the money maker but the catalyst. The beach being gone will have no effect on the gentlemen, they will still come. It will affect retirees, guy's like me (visitor with connections to the area), beach lovers and locals..etc.

AI's are a boon to the government but not the regular locals.

Big

Apr 24, 2019

Why the continuous rage and disrespect for the chicas and their situation. What have they done to you? What have the gentleman done to you? Have they affected your property value, pickpocketed you? You say you live in Cab are you equally as angry at the many chicas in the bars there plying their trade. You claim to have all this knowledge about this massive transformation coming to Sosua . Go up there and walk around on a Friday or Sat night and report back. P.S you might not want to call the girls "whores " I doubt you are physically equipped to defend yourself against a group insulted working girls.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, make them all the same...generic. It's a crying shame.
What I like about the north coast beaches is how different they all are. Sosua, Cabarete, Rogelio, Caleton, Playa Grande etc - all are very different geographically with different atmospheres. At least one poster here keeps knocking Cabarete beach, but for me and many others it's a favourite. It's a matter of taste and mood and there is something for everyone. As they say, "Vive la difference!" - let's hope it's not ruined.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I always thought the beach was a major draw for tourism...not the money maker but the catalyst. The beach being gone will have no effect on the gentlemen, they will still come. It will affect retirees, guy's like me (visitor with connections to the area), beach lovers and locals..etc.

AI's are a boon to the government but not the regular locals.
I have no reason to believe the beach will be gone, I guess that is only me who thinks the beach will still be there.

Most of the beach vendors will be done if the government's plan is realized.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What I like about the north coast beaches is how different they all are. Sosua, Cabarete, Rogelio, Caleton, Playa Grande etc - all are very different geographically with different atmospheres. At least one poster here keeps knocking Cabarete beach, but for me and many others it's a favourite. It's a matter of taste and mood and there is something for everyone. As they say, "Vive la difference!" - let's hope it's not ruined.
I won't argue with someone who likes one beach over another. It is simply a matter of personal taste. My going to Sosua beach less than once a year since I have lived here certainly shows how much I liked it. I go to Calleton more frequently than to Sosua Beach and have been to Cabarete beach hundreds of times. To each his own on that.

Sosua beach will be different, but still there. That is how I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.