Sosua Beach Unions Want More Involvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I thought the land owners only donated parcels at either end of the beach where the new "plazas" with bars, restaurants, and shops will go(?).
I have no idea on that.

The only reports I saw indicated the land donated was "in front of their land that goes further up the hill".

The casitas were/are either on private land, within the 60 meter public zone, or maybe both depending upon the casita.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have no idea on that.

The only reports I saw indicated the land donated was "in front of their land that goes further up the hill".

The casitas were/are either on private land, within the 60 meter public zone, or maybe both depending upon the casita.
There were other comments made that seemed to indicated the owners could build beachfront units. There is plenty of room there to do that - if they didn't donate all the land on the north side of the road to the government.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
There were other comments made that seemed to indicated the owners could build beachfront units. There is plenty of room there to do that - if they didn't donate all the land on the north side of the road to the government.
The land that was donated to the gov't consisted of 2 parcels, one at each end of the beach. These parcels were donated to build multi story plazas for restaurants, bars, gift shops, and others. The casitas will be removed so as not to ruin the view for the new property owners behind the beach.

Reactions: cavok

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The land that was donated to the gov't consisted of 2 parcels, one at each end of the beach. These parcels were donated to build multi story plazas for restaurants, bars, gift shops, and others. The casitas will be removed so as not to ruin the view for the new property owners behind the beach.

Anybody remember when a cow fell into a casita a few years back?

Reactions: CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The plans I heard about from locals were that three different condo groupings would be built on the land between the main road the the beach.
Giving the land to the government on either end of the beach means that the beach is not blocked to public access.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The plans I heard about from locals were that three different condo groupings would be built on the land between the main road the the beach.
Giving the land to the government on either end of the beach means that the beach is not blocked to public access.
That's correct and that's why I said in my post:
"If the government had just "left it alone", the owners of the property would have bulldozed all the casitas and there would be nothing there. The property is(was) privately owned."

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I realize that many people would prefer that the beach stay as it is, but that was not in the cards. It was not an option. At least now there is guaranteed access at both ends of the beach and there will be some bars, restaurants, shops, and probably beach umbrellas and chaise lounge chairs available for rent.

Reactions: windeguy

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
Some of the restaurants back right up against the hill...it rolled down and through the roof. When the owner arrived, the cow was standing in his restaurant.
I was there the next day.
Funniest thing was the owner Herman was not impressed at all.
He handled like just another day at the office.
Is Herman still around in Sosua? I know he retired, but lost sight after that.

Reactions: ramesses

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I was there the next day.
Funniest thing was the owner Herman was not impressed at all.
He handled like just another day at the office.
Is Herman still around in Sosua? I know he retired, but lost sight after that.
I remember it as being so amazing...he just shrugged his shoulders. LOL

He is still in Sosua. I have not see him lately but I still have contact with him on Facebook.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On speaking with Danny at Malibu Bar, he heard a rumor/story being told that the government accepted the land in order to allow the vendors to stay.
I personally doubt that, but ya never know.
At least one date was already scheduled and missed for the evictions from what he told me.

On local news tonight, Rosemary Encarnacion said the vendors will be removed soon. Perhaps February 15?

Reactions: It wasn't me

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
On speaking with Danny at Malibu Bar, he heard a rumor/story being told that the government accepted the land in order to allow the vendors to stay.
I personally doubt that, but ya never know.
At least one date was already scheduled and missed for the evictions from what he told me.

On local news tonight, Rosemary Encarnacion said the vendors will be removed soon. Perhaps February 15?
At least you're talking to the movers and shakers

• Haha
Reactions: Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I doubt the government would make a move during the peak tourist season!
It was already supposed to have been a done deal and then postponed.

Danny "owns" a bar on the beach, So Hijo dM he might know more about it then even I do :rolleyes:.

If nothing is going to happen soon, why was it stated to be soon on local news? Your guess is as good as mine.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I doubt the government would make a move during the peak tourist season!

I'd be willing to bet that doesn't even come into the discussion. It's just a short little beach, the initial disruption isn't going to have a major effect on anything except the vendors.

I just hope I don't miss the excitement.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The newswoman aslo said 20 businesses would be on each end of the beach after the removal of the casitas.
40 total? I cannot imagine how that would be done.
The newswoman also said she was certain the clearing would happen .

Bring on the PN with tear gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.