Sosua Beach Vendors Worried

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chivo? :) you are welcomed to use it as much as you can.

there are so many wasted opportunities in POP... luis ginebra and malecon could be both so nice... there are decent size lots, fit for nice houses. both locations are perfect to attract decent dominicans with money as well as tourists and gringos. the views and the ambiance are great. yet both malecon and luis ginebra are filled with dirtiest chivos there are, poisoned with fumes, contaminated with deafening music. keep barrio in a barrio. why spread that crap over the nicest and most beautiful parts of the city?

in other countries ocean front is a buzzing heart of the city, with best hotels, nicest apartments, lovely restaurants and the atmosphere of peace and relaxation. in POP the ocean front is... oh well... i should stop here and wash that foam off my mouth...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
chivo? :) you are welcomed to use it as much as you can.

there are so many wasted opportunities in POP... luis ginebra and malecon could be both so nice... there are decent size lots, fit for nice houses. both locations are perfect to attract decent dominicans with money as well as tourists and gringos. the views and the ambiance are great. yet both malecon and luis ginebra are filled with dirtiest chivos there are, poisoned with fumes, contaminated with deafening music. keep barrio in a barrio. why spread that crap over the nicest and most beautiful parts of the city?

in other countries ocean front is a buzzing heart of the city, with best hotels, nicest apartments, lovely restaurants and the atmosphere of peace and relaxation. in POP the ocean front is... oh well... i should stop here and wash that foam off my mouth...

then let me take up the slack for you. only some genius minds could take waterfron property and turn it into a barrio. the malecon should be the showcase of POP. look at it! a darn ghetto, with buildings that look like inner city public housing. there is not one restaurant on it that is worth a darn, and not even a decent club, or disco. there is one paryicular disco that has changed hands at least 6 times since 2000. every time it closes, some new fool takes it over, and does the same thing the guy before him did, then closes in 6 months.

the best thing that the malecon has going for it is the chinese restaurant in the little strip mall. that ain't saying much.

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
If the shops are moved from the Sosua beach and put into a designated building, where does that leave the other shops who sell alcohol and food? Iam curious if getting rid of the "shops" mean everything or just those that sell trinkets.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
are there no Sosua examples of this??????????? I am sure there are.

yes, but is there something inherently off topic in looking to the errors of other towns IN THE SAME PROVINCE, and applying them to what could happen in Sosua? i mean, it is not as though we are talking about a seal fishing camp in the Aleutians.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is only sort of off topic. we are talking about improvements within POP, some worked, some did not. maybe if the government of sosua could look at issues and solutions from other cities they would be able to avoid the same mistakes. like parking/access problem we talked about? noise pollution? exact location?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The beach shops at Sosua rely on passing trade. I very much doubt if many people will make the effort to enter some sanitized "mall". Personally, I quite like the selection of beach-side shacks which make Sosua a bit different.

But, as has been said previously, the Tourism Minister and Mayor would do better looking at the run-down, dirty state of Sosua's streets. Fixing that problem would make the whole town much more attractive to tourists.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The beach shops at Sosua rely on passing trade. I very much doubt if many people will make the effort to enter some sanitized "mall". Personally, I quite like the selection of beach-side shacks which make Sosua a bit different.

But, as has been said previously, the Tourism Minister and Mayor would do better looking at the run-down, dirty state of Sosua's streets. Fixing that problem would make the whole town much more attractive to tourists.

It really depends on what they mean by "mall". If it's some type of open air building that beach go'ers need to walk thru then it won't be so bad. They'll still have the traffic. But I don't know how they'll accommodate 300 vendors? The vendors know there's probably going to be a game of musical chairs, and some will lose out. I don't blame them for being nervous.

After the vendors are gone, my design for the beach would be to build four six-story condo buildings back in the trees, with a pool at the bottom of each building but raised off the beach level (to keep the riff raff out). And a few shops at ground level at the foot of each building for a FEW restaurants & bars. Not 300 restaurants, bars and trinket shops.

Now THAT's a plan.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
I think the real question is..... how is this going to benift the people in power? I honestly don't see this as a way to improve Sosua, but as a plan to break the beach association and develop the land. This is about prime real estate and who profits from its use.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
hmmmm, maybe a new discoteca in the shopping mall ?? nightlife on the beach !!!!!

just kidding....

May 29, 2006
Will pricing guns be provided to the new shop owners?

One thing I always thought would be a hit would be a beach shop with everything for 100 pesos on one side of the shop and everything for 300 pesos on the other. But they love to haggle too much. When someone can sell a knocked conch sell for 500 pesos, you think anything is possible.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I hope the restaurants on Sosua Beach are not affected by the changes.

Last edited: