Sosua International School at UN

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I know parents who send their children to ISS who are by no means "rich", although that is a relative term, but they are prepared to dedicate the vast majority of their income and savings to provide their children with the best possible education and start in life. I think it is quite right that people on this forum jump all over them for such a disgraceful attitude!(That's sarcasm by the way)

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I know parents who send their children to ISS who are by no means "rich", although that is a relative term, but they are prepared to dedicate the vast majority of their income and savings to provide their children with the best possible education and start in life. I think it is quite right that people on this forum jump all over them for such a disgraceful attitude!(That's sarcasm by the way)

Yep. A huge chunk of my income goes to educating my kids. They haven't got the latest play stations and expensive trendy fashion accessories. Perhaps they'll thank me when they've grown up and got themselves a decent profession.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Vast majority of ISS students are from wealthy families. School teaches in English and students are from all over the world. A trip to the UN in New York would be parents pay and require a US visa or passport. The school gives it's teachers a one kid free ticket. 8000 USD per kid per year requires wealth. It's a private school in business to make money just like Canadian/ Dominican Bob's school in Jarabacoa, although I believe Bob teaches in Spanish using Dominican teachers. ISS uses mostly expats with some Dominicans. The Dominicans are paid less as you might expect.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The idea that a private for profit business could pay Dominicans substantially less than foreigners for the exact same job and responsibilities goes to elements that are fundamentally wrong about the Dominican Republic.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Foreign teachers speak native english and have elevated skills due to experience/education in better learning systems. There is nothing wrong with that !! That is why we had our little guy lined up at CMS before we decided to bounce. Thankfully we get a similar experience as CMS for free in Tampa Florida.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Vast majority of ISS students are from wealthy families. School teaches in English and students are from all over the world. A trip to the UN in New York would be parents pay and require a US visa or passport. The school gives it's teachers a one kid free ticket. 8000 USD per kid per year requires wealth. It's a private school in business to make money just like Canadian/ Dominican Bob's school in Jarabacoa, although I believe Bob teaches in Spanish using Dominican teachers. ISS uses mostly expats with some Dominicans. The Dominicans are paid less as you might expect.

Sorry 8 k a year does not make you wealthy in the Dominican Republic. That is a year of jeepeta payments for lower middle class people. Congrats to all who make that effort for their family, calling them wealthy and upper class especially by SD standards is laughable.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Foreign teachers speak native english and have elevated skills due to experience/education in better learning systems. There is nothing wrong with that !! That is why we had our little guy lined up at CMS before we decided to bounce. Thankfully we get a similar experience as CMS for free in Tampa Florida.

Nothing is free, you pay taxes for that schooling experience in Tampa. I agree with you, the school system in the DR is a product of years of neglect and improper bandage solutions. Despite that, many Dominicans are intelligent and clever enough to succeed.