sosua rental help / newbie

borismmg

New member
Sep 13, 2005
8
0
0
51
Hi there,

What a great site. Just joined today, but I was reading through for last few days. I found most answers in living message board, but I have few questions. I live in Florida, Tampa area as PR. My girlfriend is from Serbia, and since she is unable to get a US visa for now, we decided to meet in DR. We planned for her to stay there for about 6 months, starting in December. Now, I was never in DR, but Sosua looks like a decent area. Basically, I need a apartment in Sosua for a period of 6 months minimum. Also, what is a best way to fly to Sosua from US and Europe?
Serbian citizens (my girlfriend) does not require any special visa, but what she needs to bring with her to prove her stay there? I will have more questions later, as they come, but will try to browse through forum and get some answers.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

b
 

HOWMAR

New member
Jan 28, 2004
2,624
2
0
borismmg said:
Hi there,

What a great site. Just joined today, but I was reading through for last few days. I found most answers in living message board, but I have few questions. I live in Florida, Tampa area as PR. My girlfriend is from Serbia, and since she is unable to get a US visa for now, we decided to meet in DR. We planned for her to stay there for about 6 months, starting in December. Now, I was never in DR, but Sosua looks like a decent area. Basically, I need a apartment in Sosua for a period of 6 months minimum. Also, what is a best way to fly to Sosua from US and Europe?
Serbian citizens (my girlfriend) does not require any special visa, but what she needs to bring with her to prove her stay there? I will have more questions later, as they come, but will try to browse through forum and get some answers.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

b
Sosua is located only a few miles from Puerto Plata Airport (POP). It is serviced by flights from both the US and Europe.
There are many apartment and condo rentals available in Sosua. December is the beginning of the "high" season. What kind of budget are you considering for rent? With that known, there will be more help.
 

borismmg

New member
Sep 13, 2005
8
0
0
51
HOWMAR said:
Sosua is located only a few miles from Puerto Plata Airport (POP). It is serviced by flights from both the US and Europe.
There are many apartment and condo rentals available in Sosua. December is the beginning of the "high" season. What kind of budget are you considering for rent? With that known, there will be more help.
I was planning $600-$700 a month. I dont need a big place, but something close to the beach and with good security. Should I consider bringing a car from the US since we will be there 6 months or that is too complicated?
thanks again
 

HOWMAR

New member
Jan 28, 2004
2,624
2
0
borismmg said:
I was planning $600-$700 a month. I dont need a big place, but something close to the beach and with good security. Should I consider bringing a car from the US since we will be there 6 months or that is too complicated?
thanks again
You have just opened a flood gate of people that will want to seperate you from your money. You can live quite well in Sosua for much less than $600-$700. Don't even think of trying to import a car for 6 months.
 

rellosk

New member
Mar 18, 2002
4,159
54
0
There seems to be a small group of people from the former Yugoslavia living in Sosua at this time. I believe bar in the Europa hotel is run by Serbs.
 

borismmg

New member
Sep 13, 2005
8
0
0
51
HOWMAR said:
You have just opened a flood gate of people that will want to seperate you from your money. You can live quite well in Sosua for much less than $600-$700. Don't even think of trying to import a car for 6 months.
Ok. Lets close the gate...:) What do you think that I should pay for a decent 1 bedroom apartment? I checked the flights from MIA and TPA and it seems that there is only one good one (non-stop) AA flight 979. Since I plan to "commute" at least twice a month does anyone knows of any other carrier or AA frequent flyer discount?
Thanks for the car tip. I was just guessing. It looks like residency first, than imports. Well, i have a lot to learn.

thanks howmar
 

borismmg

New member
Sep 13, 2005
8
0
0
51
rellosk said:
There seems to be a small group of people from the former Yugoslavia living in Sosua at this time. I believe bar in the Europa hotel is run by Serbs.
Yes. I heard that too. Serbs everywhere :) From what I learned here, DR is very similar to Serbia in a way of life, government, poverty and wealth...difference is the weather. I have a friend that just moved to Juan Dolio for the same reasons as me, but I cant reach his 809 number for days. Sounds like Serbia, all over again :)
thanks
 

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
13,998
184
0
108
www.rockysbar.com
Escott said:
Oh really? Care to share this information with the rest of us that live here?
That's his budget for rent, not for everything.
I do understand that luxury condos rent for more, but this fellow could easily find a very nice place in his budget range, either in a hotel or a 1 bedroom condo.
 

HOWMAR

New member
Jan 28, 2004
2,624
2
0
Escott said:
Oh really? Care to share this information with the rest of us that live here?
As I said, you have opened the flood gates to those who want to part you from your money. Especially watch out for middle-aged presbyopics who fail to wear their reading glasses when reading the posts.
 

duhtree

New member
Jun 2, 2003
414
0
0
Repeat, please. Where in sosua? Oh yeah. Long term rentals at the Europa would do the trick. All utilities, a/c, cable, etc with full kitchen = approx. $450.00 U.S. per month.
What will become expensive is the commute twice a month. John
 

Escott

New member
Jan 14, 2002
7,716
6
0
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Rocky said:
That's his budget for rent, not for everything.
I do understand that luxury condos rent for more, but this fellow could easily find a very nice place in his budget range, either in a hotel or a 1 bedroom condo.
I was replying to Marty who said "Originally Posted by HOWMAR
You can live quite well in Sosua for much less than $600-$700. "

Now that is impossible.
 

swake

New member
Oct 27, 2002
200
8
0
rellosk said:
There seems to be a small group of people from the former Yugoslavia living in Sosua at this time. I believe bar in the Europa hotel is run by Serbs.
This bar has quite a log. I have known a French bloke in charge before a Swiss guy made a lame effort in turning it into an Alps chalet style joint.
Now the Serbs seem to run the show. Very cute Serbian girl bartending there in case you'd be interested ;)
 

rellosk

New member
Mar 18, 2002
4,159
54
0
duhtree said:
Repeat, please. Where in sosua? Oh yeah. Long term rentals at the Europa would do the trick. All utilities, a/c, cable, etc with full kitchen = approx. $450.00 U.S. per month.
Europa will rent a room for $15 per day with a long term commitment? That's an incredible rate. Most other hotels only give a slight (15%-25%) discount for long term stays.
 

rellosk

New member
Mar 18, 2002
4,159
54
0
swake said:
This bar has quite a log. I have known a French bloke in charge before a Swiss guy made a lame effort in turning it into an Alps chalet style joint.
Now the Serbs seem to run the show. Very cute Serbian girl bartending there in case you'd be interested ;)
It doesn't look like the Serbs are going to have any more of a success, even with the cute bartender. The bar and the restaurant was most empty. Also, the bar was not well stocked. There was a patron drinking Vodka, and they ran out. He asked the bartender to get another bottle and for some reason she didn't.
 

duhtree

New member
Jun 2, 2003
414
0
0
I agree with you, Scott. Geez! it costs me $5000.00 pesos plus just for my massages. John
 

HOWMAR

New member
Jan 28, 2004
2,624
2
0
Escott said:
I was replying to Marty who said "Originally Posted by HOWMAR
You can live quite well in Sosua for much less than $600-$700. "

Now that is impossible.
That was my reply to his stating that his budget for rent was $600-$700 per month. Sorry I didn't repeat the entire post history for you to approve. Feel free to review this thread from the beginning.
What is your budget for rent?
I was planning $600-$700 a month. I don't need a big place
You can live quite well in Sosua for much less than $600-$700
 
Last edited:

borismmg

New member
Sep 13, 2005
8
0
0
51
HOWMAR said:
That was my reply to his stating that his budget for rent was $600-$700 per month. Sorry I didn't repeat the entire post history for you to approve. Feel free to review this thread from the beginning.
Thank you guys. RENT budget was $600-$700USD. I will check that hotel out.
Century 21 office in sosua was giving me some info as well, but they forwarded my mail to some other rental agent that never wrote back. Guess persistancy will be the answer. And, yes, I know that "commute" will kill me, but that what I do for love. Maybe that serbian bartender is an cheaper alternative :) Anyway, I have to keep working in US untill my citizenship get finalized.
 

joecanada

New member
Jan 15, 2004
114
0
0
Studio Apt

Furnished studio apartments at the PAM building will run you $300/month for long-term rentals, including electricity, hot water, generator, parking etc.

Safe, clean building on Alejo Martinez (down the road from Casa Marina towards Playa Chiquita), just across from Profeta Supermarket

Martha at Sosua by the Sea takes care of the details (809) 571 3222

Best of luck with the move!

Joe

PS: Importing a vehicle for a 6 month stretch? Not the best idea. Of course, if you wanted to do it anyways, just let me know when you're leaving the country and I'll be happy to buy it from you for much less than it's worth!
 

borismmg

New member
Sep 13, 2005
8
0
0
51
joecanada said:
Furnished studio apartments at the PAM building will run you $300/month for long-term rentals, including electricity, hot water, generator, parking etc.

Safe, clean building on Alejo Martinez (down the road from Casa Marina towards Playa Chiquita), just across from Profeta Supermarket

Martha at Sosua by the Sea takes care of the details (809) 571 3222

Best of luck with the move!

Joe

PS: Importing a vehicle for a 6 month stretch? Not the best idea. Of course, if you wanted to do it anyways, just let me know when you're leaving the country and I'll be happy to buy it from you for much less than it's worth!
Thanks Joe. Will call her for details. Considering car, I am in the car export business, so if you need anything cheap, let me know...but thats a topic for different discussion. My guess was that I can drive US licensed car for 6-7 months without paying customs, but will research DR laws for that. No big deal anyway.