Sosua Rte#5 paving update

Z

zoomzx11

I love the style of the Sosua News reporting. Such optimism along with failing to remark on how poor a job is actually being done.

It has always been done in a poor fashion and they do not know any better.
What you and I see as optimism is their reality.
I am wondering how the mountain road going from PP to Santiago will last if it ever gets finished.
Willing to wager the first rainy season will wash it away in sections.

M

monfongo

It is finished, they did a nice job, put a lot of work into it.

C

chico bill

It has always been done in a poor fashion and they do not know any better.
What you and I see as optimism is their reality.
I am wondering how the mountain road going from PP to Santiago will last if it ever gets finished.
Willing to wager the first rainy season will wash it away in sections.

It is such a poor Job from Sosua Abajo to Batey that it will begin to show significant deterioration during this tourist season.

Some stretches are already showing slick spots from too high an oil content in the asphalt and there is a spot just past the turn from Caribbe Tours where water is appearing always (broken pipe or spring?) but it will not be long until the job visibly fails.
On the other hand the work on the West Side of Montellano is done well and with a smooth surface.
They can not be the same paving company as the difference is glaring

R

ramesses

Are they just paving over top of the old pavement, dips and potholes?

C

cavok

It is such a poor Job from Sosua Abajo to Batey that it will begin to show significant deterioration during this tourist season.

Some stretches are already showing slick spots from too high an oil content in the asphalt and there is a spot just past the turn from Caribbe Tours where water is appearing always (broken pipe or spring?) but it will not be long until the job visibly fails.
On the other hand the work on the West Side of Montellano is done well and with a smooth surface.
They can not be the same paving company as the difference is glaring

Have they put any shoulders on the new road, or are they just the same rutted dirt shoulders filled with potholes and litter?

T

Timotero

Yes, they are doing on the cheap

Actually I don’t think that’s correct. The part that’s still “undone” (from Playero to Super Pollo) looks like all the old surface has been scrapped away mechanically.

W

william webster

Yes -- scraped.....

not 2 'p's... long A needed.... only one consonant between them

E

Ecoman1949

Actually I don’t think that’s correct. The part that’s still “undone” (from Playero to Super Pollo) looks like all the old surface has been scrapped away mechanically.

The pavement scraping process is different here. Our machines cut deeper and use a crosshatch pattern which makes for better adhesion and longer pavement life. The base is relatively smooth and is tapered from centre to end on each side of the middle line area to ensure proper run off during periods of heavy rain to reduce hydroplaning. The scraping in Sosua is shallow, has many high and low spots, gaping holes and is not tapered for proper runoff. The edges of the adjoining pavement strips are not rolled together properly. It the first area separated by rain and the first area to release chunks of new pavement applied on top of old pavement. You can feel the ridges as you drive on the new pavement. The concrete ditching along the new paved areas appears to be a lot better than the old ditches but they are already filled with large amounts of debris and will block and over wash during heavy rain periods. MOPC has the best of intentions but has difficulty executing them properly.

W

william webster

Not tailored for frost/freeze..... process might be different

M

monfongo

I was talking about the mountain rd. being finished, don't know anything about the rd. in Sosua.

L

ljmesg

The road from Sosua to POP is awesome. Nice and wide and black topped. Will be nice when its finished from CMC to Playero.

W

william webster

I have a POP pickup on the 22nd....fingers crossed for completion by then !!

C

chico bill

All pavement work seems to have stopped. There are about 5 places where the new curb is already broken, an area near Charamicos where an obvious water leak will soon destroy a section of the road and rough jarring very uneven pavement grinding from Playero to Super Pola.
Let's hope someone sends some experienced engineers to supervise before this project is finished with slaps on the back for a huge success, when the work is so sloppy and of poor quality.
It would have been better to just have cut out and repaired potholes on the old road.
I also noticed some manholes have been paved over on Pedro Clisante.
One just past Super Super Surf liquor store.
While the Deep depression was an annoyance to car suspensions, manholes have a function.
If someone in DR needs instruction on how to raise and patch around a manhole I can teach two Haitians how to do the job in a morning. Some tools and material required.