Sosua Rte#5 paving update

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Have an airport run this afternoon, what are the chances they have resumed paving?

As of 10am this morning when I walked by there, no paving had resumed.

A few days ago they did continue paving. But it was only one lane (eastbound) from Playero to just past the SuperPola. From there to past the La Mulatta turn off, the road is still scraped down and rutted.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
At 11 the asphalt full trucks were in que by Playero no paving equipment in sight. Any progress this pm?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
well it after 4 in the afternoon and they are only about half way to super pola with another strip. the might get to pola tonight. I guess this is one strip per week. next week another strip and it will be reasonable superpola and westward

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Depends on if the mayor has any clout ? I think the paving company must be leaving the last 1/2 mile for bargaining purposes, like 'pay us and then we'll finish".............or they were paid in full and have no incentive to finish now, like cell phones on Mercado, you likely won't receive what you pay for in advance

From what I understand, the way it works with the DR government is you do all
of the work first and after we finish paying ourselves, we'll pay you manana.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Sunday, on a holiday weekend, and they're paving with trucks lined up waiting to unload.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
It is such a poor Job from Sosua Abajo to Batey that it will begin to show significant deterioration during this tourist season.

Some stretches are already showing slick spots from too high an oil content in the asphalt and there is a spot just past the turn from Caribbe Tours where water is appearing always (broken pipe or spring?) but it will not be long until the job visibly fails.
On the other hand the work on the West Side of Montellano is done well and with a smooth surface.
They can not be the same paving company as the difference is glaring

One month later, potholes emerging between Los Charamicos-El Batey :cry:

But the «policía acostado» still remains watching the misery

habi

Oct 17, 2015
And the paving stopped before Cabarete...

Remeber that the sign from Danilo/MOPC always stated:
Reconstrucción carretera Playa Dorada - Sosua and not to Cabarete...:cross-eye (I think there is still one to see close to CMC coming from Cabarete).
Yes I know that Cabarete belongs to Sosua but.... ;)

I hope MOPC shows some responsibility and fixes the road (and gets rid of the policias acostados... Our chance is that the elections are coming up so....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Remeber that the sign from Danilo/MOPC always stated:
Reconstrucción carretera Playa Dorada - Sosua and not to Cabarete...:cross-eye (I think there is still one to see close to CMC coming from Cabarete).
Yes I know that Cabarete belongs to Sosua but.... ;)

I hope MOPC shows some responsibility and fixes the road (and gets rid of the policias acostados... Our chance is that the elections are coming up so....

And the promise previously was all the way through Cabarete and much further east, but I never expect any promise to be kept.

As for filling the potholes, they cannot even do that.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I went through there today and stopped to take a look and it looks like an entire load of asphalt was bad or there has been a spill . Its about a hundred feet or so right past the speed bump. Im leaning to a fuel spill. The rest or the paving is ok except for spots not swept properly preventing the 2 layers of pavement from adhereing

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I was talking about the mountain rd. being finished, don't know anything about the rd. in Sosua.

.. sorry about being late on this...was on that mountain road in august, it was finished and wonderful..not sure about now..

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I went through there today and stopped to take a look and it looks like an entire load of asphalt was bad or there has been a spill . Its about a hundred feet or so right past the speed bump. Im leaning to a fuel spill. The rest or the paving is ok except for spots not swept properly preventing the 2 layers of pavement from adhereing

It may have been some fuel spill but I think it's from trucks wheel hoping and also spilling gravel which is being ground into the asphalt and grinding it away. It won't be long until they have to cut and remove the entire road.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
They are at it today, planning out sections in front of the gas station. It wasn't that bad through there so maybe they are also doing some of the other parts in worst condition.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Miracles are happening in election years! :laugh:
They actually working on repaving the road! Big traffic jam but...
And guess what? They put the policia acostado back they removed before.... :confused:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Isn't it great how the politicos take credit for major projects like this. I saw that Iliana made a video of the newly paved roads in Sosua to bolster her re-election campaign.

I wonder if she is still happy to endorse all her hard work after the road surface lasted all of three weeks.

Now the road between Sosua and Cabarete is deteriorating fast due the rains. Was there ever a plan to redo that road? And perhaps widen the stretch around Costa Azul that has been the cause of quite a few horrible deaths.

Who gets the credit for fixing roads BETWEEN towns? Not the mayor. So that's why it probably won't be fixed for election time.