Sosua Rte#5 paving update

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Went from Sosua to Los Charamicos this afternoon. Hwy 5 ripped up again between the gate in the new fence and further into Charmicos than I went. Didn't see any paving being done just scraping.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Went from Sosua to Los Charamicos this afternoon. Hwy 5 ripped up again between the gate in the new fence and further into Charmicos than I went. Didn't see any paving being done just scraping.

Yes tore up sections of bad asphalt, likely a mix problem, but also it was put down over wet substrate, cold and likely with no binder sprayed. Guess what - now it's raining like heck again and I suspect they will re-asphalt over the wet grinding again, maybe placing a high speed bump (policia acostado), which caused the cars & rock trucks to wheel-hop which tore up the pavement for 100' after the speed bump coming into Sosua.

Now that it is ground down they must have two full days of sun (zero rain) in order to place again. And if they are going to restore the speed bump it should be more gradual and they would greatly benefit from placing a street light over the speed bumps so unsuspecting night drivers don't launch their vehicles and litter the roadway with plastic Corolla & Rio bumpers.
If they want a speed bump it would be best to place it at an angle to the traveled way to affect one tire at a time, this will lessen the impact to the road (and save cars' suspensions)

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes tore up sections of bad asphalt, likely a mix problem, but also it was put down over wet substrate, cold and likely with no binder sprayed. Guess what - now it's raining like heck again and I suspect they will re-asphalt over the wet grinding again, maybe placing a high speed bump (policia acostado), which caused the cars & rock trucks to wheel-hop which tore up the pavement for 100' after the speed bump coming into Sosua.

Now that it is ground down they must have two full days of sun (zero rain) in order to place again. And if they are going to restore the speed bump it should be more gradual and they would greatly benefit from placing a street light over the speed bumps so unsuspecting night drivers don't launch their vehicles and litter the roadway with plastic Corolla & Rio bumpers.
If they want a speed bump it would be best to place it at an angle to the traveled way to affect one tire at a time, this will lessen the impact to the road (and save cars' suspensions)

Whether its fixing electrical problems, cars, A/C, plumbing or in this case road construction- these are NOT educated professionals doing these jobs (there may be .001% exception) so it becomes wasted brain cycles discussing all the mistakes that are made that lead to the next repair. It seems every year they need to fix the same roads done in the same inept manner. They have no clue how to do this! I would say its done purposely as "job creation" but that would be well thought out which leads me to believe its not.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Now that it is ground down they must have two full days of sun (zero rain) in order to place again.

Guess what? They don't care... :speechles
They getting ready to put the asphalt now and the surface at the Charamicos side is still wet... :disappoin

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012

they don't need 2 full days of sun. It just needs to be reasonably dry, apply a good tack coat and the heat from the fresh asphlt will give it good adheasion. If it was 2 full days of sun before paving nothing would get paved anywhere

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
they don't need 2 full days of sun. It just needs to be reasonably dry, apply a good tack coat and the heat from the fresh asphlt will give it good adheasion. If it was 2 full days of sun before paving nothing would get paved anywhere

Well I have built hundreds of miles of highway and roads, in the mountains, the deserts, cities and country. I can tell you when the substrate has puddles of water on it, as does the section in Charamicos, it does not matter how much binder you spray it will not adhere. And the asphalt that they are using sits in the trucks for hours before being dumped into the spreader box and it is not at a temperature advised to be used.
We would reject using asphalt after it dropped below 240 degrees Fahrenheit at the spreader. I can assure you they use it here down to whatever temperature it falls by the time they get to using it, even if it is 150.
But there are several areas where the water was puddled (in Batey too) - it won't be long until more lifting and potholes start appearing

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I also have a ton of experience in the road building business...40 plus years...mostly paving and I am agreeing with you, you don't pave over standing water. but 2 full days of sun is ridiculous

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Miracles are happening! :cool:
MOPC started to asphalt the road from Sosua towards Cabarete!! Let's see how far they get... 🤞🤞

Reactions: drstock

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Miracles are happening! :cool:
MOPC started to asphalt the road from Sosua towards Cabarete!! Let's see how far they get... 🤞🤞
I have to see this to believe it. How many car suspensions have been rattled apart already ?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I posted this on another thread, but they were paving on Friday and are several hundred yards east of Ocean Village now.