Sosua to get a RD$135 million aqueduct

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
CORAAPPLATA-invertira-en-mejorar-Sosua-N-Digital-1024x531.png

The Puerto Plata Aqueduct and Sewer Corporation (Coraapplata) announces RD$135 million will be invested to solve in the short and long term needs for drinking water and sanitary system situations in the municipality of Sosua.

Oliver Nazario Brugal, director of Coraapplata, met with community and business leaders to explain the plan for the new water works. He said that three tubular wells will be built in the sector María La “O.” An impulsion line with a system of valves will solve the lack of water in Los Castillo, La Mina and El Cachimbo.

Nazario Brugal said the La Ciénaga and Callejón de La Loma neighborhoods in Cabarete will be connected to the wells already built in that area. A new water storage facility will be built. The funds will also be spent on the cleaning and habilitation of the treatment plant in the aqueduct of La Catalina. This will...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Good news is that Sosúa got the message from CORAAPPLATA.

Since I want to end this post on a positive, I will not mention anything of when it will be ready.

Last edited:

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I will miss the smell of raw sewage and flooded streets after a rain.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well of the $135 million - $95 million will 'disappear' and many new Range Rovers will be driving about as a result.

I live in Los Cerros and Corraplata was given extra money over two years ago to repair infrastructure here.

Never happened. Pipe leaks are everywhere and they are obvious including on the huge water tank (2 million gallons) with more dripping holes than there are walkIng the streets around Pedro Clisante.
When they fill the tank it pisses water out on all sides at multiple levels.

Plus there are many illegal (non-meteted) connections and no one cares. Of course the Corraplata workers know about all of this.
And they keep the valves closed on some streets until someone slips them some pesos - graft and kickbacks are more common here than Chinese motos.

Yes they also get money from the water truck delivery drivers.

Reactions: windeguy

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
They always say "drinking water" and even on their bill it mentions that the water is potable. I don't know anybody who dares drink this water out of the tap. Anybody here drink that water?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As if a few tubular wells dug by the caves in Cabarete could supply the thousands of people in Callejon de la Loma and La Cienage , "water storage
added or not. Who makes up such nonsense?

As for bringing in an aqueduct I expect that will progress as quickly as the sewer system did for Cabarete. When we applied for a well, the inspector told us an aqueduct was going to be built and I replied I would like to get water while I was still alive so let's proceed on the well.

While getting rid of CORAAPPLATA is a great idea that isn't going to happen, their meager efforts or water delivery trucks is all most have that cannot dig their own wells, and that is going to remain a problem. We get water every second day from CORAAPPLATA. There is not enough pressure to get to the first floor, let alone the second floor. It still fills our cistern since we have no renters at this time to drain the cistern daily. Our own well is likely going to be the only way we get water in the future, but carry on thinking CORAAPPLATA will actually do good work. I certainly don't.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They always say "drinking water" and even on their bill it mentions that the water is potable. I don't know anybody who dares drink this water out of the tap. Anybody here drink that water?
I hope nobody is ignorant enough to drink it. I too find the word potable laughable. From this thread already, I see there are some people that are not quite clued in to how the DR actually works that already posted in this thread, so maybe they are drinking cool aid made with CORAAPPLATA "potable water"? :eek:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The efforts being made to provide real infrastructure is laudable.
I don't drink the tap water in my country of origin with passing it through a filter or buying bottled water.
Welcome back 🤪
As chico bill points out, you did misspell laughable.

3 "tubular wells" and a few thousand gallons of water storage for thousands of people in La Cienaga and Callejon? That is joke 1.

Talk of an aqueduct that has the same probability as when Pedro the plumber and I discussed the "sure thing" sewer system for Cabarete that was going to require pumps to get the sewage to where it was going... That is joke 2.

Both jokes are on us. Obviously you are unaware of how things are not done here, but promised.

As for my duration here, remains to be seen.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Laudable
adjective(of an action, idea, or aim) deserving praise and commendation.
"laudable though the aim might be, the results have been criticized"
The efforts being made to provide real infrastructure is laudable.
I don't drink the tap water in my country of origin with passing it through a filter or buying bottled water.
I used the word to describe my opinion of the project.
When completed it will help all the people of that it serves, not just a privileged few like the other major Sosua "infrastructure" project.
When it comes to that project (Beach Improvement), the joke is on the people of the Dominican Republic.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Laudable
adjective(of an action, idea, or aim) deserving praise and commendation.
"laudable though the aim might be, the results have been criticized"

I used the word to describe my opinion of the project.
When completed it will help all the people of that it serves, not just a privileged few like the other major Sosua "infrastructure" project.
When it comes to that project (Beach Improvement), the joke is on the people of the Dominican Republic.
And I mentioned there are people that don't understand how things are said the don't get done, didn't I?
This is a government run utility that has a tremendously bad track record.
I don't expect any real improvement from a few wells and an aqueduct that is years away from being started yet alone completed.

CORAAPPLATA could fix the leaks in the system, but that would only help if they ever have enough water to pressurize the system.
I don't expect that to ever happen where I am, so I had to take alternate measures for my water.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
This is a government run utility that has a tremendously bad track record.
I don't expect any real improvement from a few wells and an aqueduct that is years away from being started yet alone completed.

CORAAPPLATA could fix the leaks in the system, but that would only help if they ever have enough water to pressurize the system.
I don't expect that to ever happen where I am, so I had to take alternate measures for my water.
You have expressed your opinion
And I have expressed mine.
Thank you for sharing.
It is how I learn.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I hope nobody is ignorant enough to drink it. I too find the word potable laughable. From this thread already, I see there are some people that are not quite clued in to how the DR actually works that already posted in this thread, so maybe they are drinking cool aid made with CORAAPPLATA "potable water"? :eek:
I've thought of drinking it, getting sick, and then suing them but we all know how that would turn out even though it clearly says on the back of their monthly bill that their water is potable.

Reactions: windeguy

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've thought of drinking it, getting sick, and then suing them but we all know how that would turn out even though it clearly says on the back of their monthly bill that their water is potable.
The key point of that statement is that the water supply is potable when it leaves their processing plants.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Technically the water is potable as it leaves the plant. Along the way it gets contaminated as often the pipes are not well maintained (much water is also losts due to leaks along these pipes which could be eliminated with proper maintenance).