Sosua - Welcome to the Red Zone - Sosua

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I am guessing you guys aren't talking about the corner bar in Negril. Makes Sosua look high class.

• Haha
Reactions: Fulano2

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Marty Byrde??? Are you kidding??? This guy is more Vinny Boom Bots😂 to paraphrase: an yous can come ova heres to da baar and getch ur drinks and ova here's is da pools and we got your batrooms ova heres, look, never been ust, an ova heres is da strip areas gethchur lap dances an more batrooms ova heres 🤣
Bottom line: I wouldn't want to get on da wrong side of dis guy...ova heres😜

No, I was not kidding.
Moreso, your regional/ethnic stereotyping is far from original, unique, cute, or containing basis in reality.
You are exposing youself to all, as a person less traveled in this world.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Very interesting thread. I'll try and touch on a few things that made me curious.
First, Niagara Falls. It's nice, but if you lived near there as I once did it's more like so what? People still come. The motorcycle ride to Ft Erie for a beer is better (so's the beer).
Now I'm near Cape Canaveral, I see so many launches that it too became a 'so what moment'. Still people still throng to see a rocket go up. Okay for them if that's what they're into. Personally I can't see it as worth the travel.
Now about Sousa, I am not there yet, thanks covid, but am planning. Reading this thread I'm getting an impression it's becoming akin to a Vegas slum.
Sports or billiards? I like some, and can play fairly well. I have also seen many a fight over them. Like a card game, know your dealer, stay out of hospitals and prisons.
Get the rules straight first about the game. Do not bet your health on either. On that health thing, here people are starting fights over not wearing a mask. Dosen't matter if they don't if you do right?
Punta Cana? Out of my tax bracket for a round of golf, oh well.
So I ask, what is the hwy. like from Santiago to Sousa? To travel at night? I'm flying in to find a place to keep my boat.
Or should I just go to Cuba and sail back and forth to Great Ignagua for cash?
Thanx folks.

1.I can not respond/comment on your opening comments, as they do not pertain specifically to RD, and there is not an Off Topic variant within this web forum any longer.

2. Sosua does not equate to a Las Vegas slum. A Yemeni slum would be more adequate.
The 'current' (last 20 years) sleeze factor that arrives from abroad, severely devalues the geographic opportunities within.

3. A sports bar, with a proper billiards table within your own personal VIP section should not cause troubles.
Are you not aware of who those other 10-15 people you are partying with are? If not, yes, you may have some troubling issues.

4. Being a boat owner, I would imagine the very same tax bracket would allow you to play a round of golf in Punta Cana.
If not, enjoy the boat. Will it be around long, or do you plug holes?

5. If you are happy ferrying between Cuba and RD, continue at your enjoyment. Remember that US-SOUTHCOM is very active in the vicinity.

All in all, it is your life. Enjoy it, as you so see fit.

Reactions: CristoRey

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Very interesting thread. I'll try and touch on a few things that made me curious.

Punta Cana? Out of my tax bracket for a round of golf, oh well.
So I ask, what is the hwy. like from Santiago to Sousa? To travel at night? I'm flying in to find a place to keep my boat.
Or should I just go to Cuba and sail back and forth to Great Ignagua for cash?
Thanx folks.

If you're looking at the north coast, you have two options for your boat. One is anchorage at Luperon, the second is the Marina at Ocean World.. This is your safest bet as a newcomer. As a newcomer, if you are planning on leaving her unattended for extended periods, your choices are reduced to the marina. If you're like me and hate marinas, then you will need to make a few local boatie friends fast. You mentioned Sosua and if you know some people there, the bay is pretty good anchorage but boat security is sketchy. I'll give you the same piece of advice I got when I was in your position some years ago.. Stay away from the Puerto Plata Marinas or Govt. dock.. Like everywhere else, as you grow accustomed to the area and people, other opportunities for mooring your boat become available.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
If you're looking at the north coast, you have two options for your boat. One is anchorage at Luperon, the second is the Marina at Ocean World.. This is your safest bet as a newcomer. As a newcomer, if you are planning on leaving her unattended for extended periods, your choices are reduced to the marina. If you're like me and hate marinas, then you will need to make a few local boatie friends fast. You mentioned Sosua and if you know some people there, the bay is pretty good anchorage but boat security is sketchy. I'll give you the same piece of advice I got when I was in your position some years ago.. Stay away from the Puerto Plata Marinas or Govt. dock.. Like everywhere else, as you grow accustomed to the area and people, other opportunities for mooring your boat become available.

It is good to see you posting again. There was a recent threadline started regarding boating in Luperon.
You're knowledge of the region, and realistic input regarding the lifestyle would have been appreciated.
Hope all is well.

Reactions: ctrob and JD Jones

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
1.I can not respond/comment on your opening comments, as they do not pertain specifically to RD, and there is not an Off Topic variant within this web forum any longer.

2. Sosua does not equate to a Las Vegas slum. A Yemeni slum would be more adequate.
The 'current' (last 20 years) sleeze factor that arrives from abroad, severely devalues the geographic opportunities within.

3. A sports bar, with a proper billiards table within your own personal VIP section should not cause troubles.
Are you not aware of who those other 10-15 people you are partying with are? If not, yes, you may have some troubling issues.

4. Being a boat owner, I would imagine the very same tax bracket would allow you to play a round of golf in Punta Cana.
If not, enjoy the boat. Will it be around long, or do you plug holes?

5. If you are happy ferrying between Cuba and RD, continue at your enjoyment. Remember that US-SOUTHCOM is very active in the vicinity.

All in all, it is your life. Enjoy it, as you so see fit.
Thanks for the effort. Just 'cause I own a boat doesn't mean I'm rich. 'Sports Bars' here are in name only, nothing private at all.
And I shall do my best to avoid the sleeze.

Reactions: jd426 and JD Jones

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Thank you. I'll look into that marina at Ocean World. Luperon is not on any cruisers list of places to go.[ Check out some reports on CSSN> Cruiser's saftey net. ] Dire circumstances aside.
There seem to be a few west of Sousa also. By the way, I'm renting a car so I can look around (carefully). Will be staying at a BNB.
Better way to know people.

Reactions: JD Jones

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Thank you. I'll look into that marina at Ocean World. Luperon is not on any cruisers list of places to go.[ Check out some reports on CSSN> Cruiser's saftey net. ] Dire circumstances aside.
There seem to be a few west of Sousa also. By the way, I'm renting a car so I can look around (carefully). Will be staying at a BNB.
Better way to know people.
Luperon is on every Dominican cruising guide I've ever seen. It's great anchorage and very friendly too with a large boatie community.. HOWEVER, there is no denying that boaters have experienced theft from their boats there when leaving them unattended for any period of time without someone looking out for them while they are gone.. Luperon is also a very good hurricane hole.

Make sure you document everything and every scratch with the rental agent when renting your vehicle.. I'm not saying they want to rip you off.. I'm saying it's the smart move when renting a car in a foreign country.

If you are respectful, watch your six, and travel smart, you should have a very enjoyable trip to the DR.. The people here for the most part are very friendly and helpful..

Reactions: JD Jones

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Thanks for the effort. Just 'cause I own a boat doesn't mean I'm rich. 'Sports Bars' here are in name only, nothing private at all.
And I shall do my best to avoid the sleeze.

You do not need to be "rich" to play golf in Punta Cana either.
What exactly is "rich"?
Regardless, most hobbies persons pursue do involve somewhat of an investment of not only money, but their time if the person is truly zoned in and dedicated to that specific hobby. This investment could be interpreted as excessive by those that do not possess the same enthusiasm for said hobby.
Whether it be sailing/boating, games of skill, games of chance, collections, whatever their respective hobby might be.

In regards to Sports Bars, your broad brush assertion could not be farther from the truth. While yes, some bars advertised as such may be in line with other dubious affairs, just like Car Washes. Not all.
The vast majority are exactly that Sports Bars. A sports bar catering to expatriates of various nations will have a multitude of live or delayed events.
Americans like their basketball, football, and baseball.
Canadians like their hockey and lacrosse.
Europeans and South Americans like their fútbol and tennis.
Dominicans are all in on baseball and basketball.
These events can be found in the majority of Sports Bars. All one need to do is visit these locations during Super Bowl, NBA Finals, or World Cup time.

The privacy factor regarding Sports Bars was in reference to the video presented within this thread line. The manager/front man for the property in question stated that there would be several VIP areas that would be presented to small groups. The video shows these respective private cutout areas. It is within each cutout that a billiards table will exist, according to him. So yes, your group would potentially control who was admitted and participating within that/their specific VIP. Most VIP sections have security stationed at the entrance. There should be minimal problems as long as respective groups can control themselves amongst themselves.
I agree it would be much different if there were only one or two tables in the center of the establishment for all to utilize.
Yes, that scenario could cause issues, but that was not the case provided within the presentation.

Again, as it pertains to this specific locale, their investment and future goals.....I wish them tremendous success moving forward.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Reservations!! Maybe a few moments in the vestibule, never sit at the bar, not my style.

While I have dined all over the globe, I do not think the moments would have been as enjoyable if I had to rush to my table to be seated, fed, and then rushed out. After all, it is not fast food. That does not seem to be such an enjoyable experience.
A pre-dinner cocktail, supported by an after dinner cordial at the bar area following, usually adds a bit of pizzazz to the event.
We are all different.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
While I have dined all over the globe, I do not think the moments would have been as enjoyable if I had to rush to my table to be seated, fed, and then rushed out. After all, it is not fast food. That does not seem to be such an enjoyable experience.
A pre-dinner cocktail, supported by an after dinner cordial at the bar area following, usually adds a bit of pizzazz to the event.
We are all different.
Agree !! In a sitting area ( lounge) for a aperitif or digestif never at a bar, not for me.

Reactions: Caonabo

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Guys, gals, please forgive my ignorance and don't jump down my throat, but if prostitution is not illegal in the DR, why are girls arrested on Pedro Clisante? And how is the selection made? I mean, most of the girls on PC look like prostitutes (I imagine that they are). Why aren't the same girls arrested/hassled on Playa Sosua?

Reactions: jd426