Sosua: Where can I buy these foods?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Sosua needs a bagel shop. And muffins.

I am looking at opening a restaurant with health IER food options - not all healthy but a mix so that there is an option to eat for $5 or less that is not fried chicken and rice dipped in high cholesterol grease and salt. Kind of like a highbred or LaPrep and Chipoltles. I am looking at offering bagel options in the morning at one of the less healthy options but experimenting by using healthier ingredients. What are your top 3 favorite bagels? Curious to know.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
This thread has become Ground Hog's Day @ this point.

I am gonna cut up a Dominican Mango now with California Blueberries, and a Colombian Banana!
FRESH.....NOT CANNED!!!

First of all if you didn't spend your time following me around, assuming my thoughts are meaningless and actually read the conversation I was looking for things on my personal grocery list. If you read what I posted I eat canned oranges preserved in sugar free water - and only when actual oranges are not available. The oranges I saw in Playero are all banged up and don't even look like oranges to me. I like to eat fat free yogurt for breakfast with granola and fruit. At home one of those fruits is oranges.

Geesh - and you think I need to get a life...

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
What they call mandarinas are sold along the side of the streets here, but during their season, which is Late November thru maybe Easter. We called them tangerines in Florida.

Do they taste like American tangerines? What does one do in the off season?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Has anyone ever seen the small tangerines, the ones they call "cuties". I have had them in the states but could not find them here. They are sweeter than tangerines and clearly smaller (hence the name). Not a fan of the canned mandarins (sp).

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Do they taste like American tangerines? What does one do in the off season?

The locals eat other fruits. Each fruit is eaten when available and of course
there is a season for each fruit.

Year round there is always some type of fruit available.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
The locals eat other fruits. Each fruit is eaten when available and of course
there is a season for each fruit.

Year round there is always some type of fruit available.

If you were to select a group of Dominican fruits to put in a yogurt parfait - what group would you choose? Maybe I need to switch it up because I am beginning to think that oranges are not going to be an easy option lol.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
If you were to select a group of Dominican fruits to put in a yogurt parfait - what group would you choose? Maybe I need to switch it up because I am beginning to think that oranges are not going to be an easy option lol.

My favorites: guayaba, mango, lechosa, pina

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Begs the question - how did your restaurant do? and why did you close?

When I had a restaurant we pushed batidas. Or smoothies. Just fruit and milk, no infusion of sugar. Our best seller was zapote. I called it Toad Tea to my bilingual friends. Sapo tea?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My favorites: guayaba, mango, lechosa, pina

tropical fruits tend to be very much on the sweet side, there is nothing here like european sour cherry or blackberry. i'm a bit fan of cinola (passion fruit) especially if slightly sour. i also like pineapple and watermelon too. and some mangoes. even the weird oranges. and no one can beat locally grown bananas.