Sounds like a chaotic banana republic ghetto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Sorry to say that the South Bronx IS NOT what the OP is mentioning.

The South Bronx has come a long way.

Just the way it was when I was growing up there, I mean no disrepect to the Bronx or its people.

PS: I still love the Bronx.

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
You just hit the nail on the head.
And the reason that so much stuff you read is so negative, is because so many people write negative things.
How interesting would it be for me to start a post like this?

But this one will draw more attention.

It's a public forum, and that's the nature of the beast.

Two crazy drugged out Dominicans raped my billy goat lastnight.

this really happened!!!!!! no joke, wait I think it was a cow this happened to....hmmm

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
I understand NEGATIVE is always the first thing people mention. It is nice to read postive things about the DR. It does have a lot of POSITIVES!

PS I have wrapping paper for you.. does this put me on the top of your list?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I understand NEGATIVE is always the first thing people mention. It is nice to read postive things about the DR. It does have a lot of POSITIVES!

PS I have wrapping paper for you.. does this put me on the top of your list?
Big time, and I'm about to give you some happy points.;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, if you see your posts disappearing, you'll know it is because there is No -Dominican-content in them, or you answer a No-Dominican-Content post with No-Dominican-Content-Post. :cheeky: Let's answer the original poster's questions or comment on the observations.

New Year, New Broom, Keep it Clean!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Pursuant to your wonderful letter...

Titled,
Most unhelpful,
Your attitude sucks. YOU are the one who presupposes everything. You have totally missed (deliberately) the tone of my posting. I was honestly repeating things I have seen written here - and left out a lot more. Why do you have to be such an accusing azshole? You don't know who I am! But Iam beginning to see who you are from this posting.

A little defensive are we? Are maybe you too have had too much rum.

Rachel

My husband and I are thinking about moving to the DR and settling in the North area (although we don't like heat that much and would prefer the mountains). After reading a number of posts here on DR1, the impression left about living in the country is a pretty horrific one.
Pardon me for wondering, but why would you be considering moving to the North coast of the DR if you don't like heat and think it's horrific?

So, my question is, WHY IS ANYONE STILL LIVING THERE? WHY ARE PEOPLE MOVING HERE?
And my question is still, why do you want to move here?

TELL ME WHY WE SHOULD MOVE TO THE DR? What are the wonderful things about life there?
What did your last slave die of?
If you want to know how you will feel about the DR, first move here for awhile, or at least visit for a lengthy period of time, change your attitude and see if it suits you.
I, nor anyone else is going to write you a 10,000 word essay on why you should more here but I could easily write you a short sentence as to why you shouldn't.
YOU HAVE THE WRONG ATTITUDE !!!!

Which is why you got my also wonderful email reply,
Actually, I don't drink, but you're right, I am an azshole, in fact, we're all azsholes here in the DR, which is why you shouldn't move here.
Only an azshole will be happy with other azsholes, and clearly you are a saintly well to do person who not only isn't an azshole, but surely doesn't even own one, which might explain why you're full of shyte..
Warmest regards, The DR's #1 Azshole, Marco.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
The national slogan should be Dominican Republic: Still the best country on the island!!!!

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Getting back to DR; most people move here because is warm, the beaches are beautiful, is close to the USA, even with so much corruction in the goverment, we still have a "Democratic" society, Dominicans are always happy (99%) of the time.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Rachel B, if you want to move to the Dominican Republic, the best advice that I can give you now, is start making friends and don't be so fast to start making enemies. You'll need every friend you have! First laugh at any post, and then figure out whether it is actually serious.

Now, let's keep this clean or a few heads are gonna roll!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Rachel I believe I understand what you are trying to say, correct me if I'm wrong. Many of the long time posters on this site do indeed paint a bad picture of the DR, but remember just like the Newspapers good news is no news. When things are good people rarely say anything, but when things don't go right, rather that blaming their own poor judgement...etc they blame someone else, like Dominicans. Human nature I guess. One doesn't move to a place like the DR if they are not looking for adventure, can adapt to a different culture and language, and have the patience to put up with a few problems with traffic, electricity...etc. My wife who is Dominican says it well. If you are rich the DR is heavon on earth, if you are poor at least its warm and friendly.
I have only been to the DR 10 or 11 times spending at the longest 26 days, and would no problem adapting to the culture, the lifestyle, the prices...etc. Driving might be a bit more challenging. Since you don't like the heat check out Jarabacoa. Less tourists but plenty of people that speak English, and a nice safe secure apartment with airconditioning for about $75,000 US.

Rachel B

Dec 30, 2007
To Chris the Moderator: Tone of Responses

I have to say that I really did not deserve Rocky's ignorant and insulting replies - HE is the one who is starting off making enemies. Where is the civility here?

I was writing an honest inquiry and got slammed by Rocky for bringing up some observations- whom I wrote OFFLIST by the way and HE POSTED.

You need to address some comments to him. I have had some great replies from others who, even if they disagreed, were respectful and explanatory.

Rachel

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I have to say that I really did not deserve Rocky's ignorant and insulting replies - HE is the one who is starting off making enemies. Where is the civility here?

I was writing an honest inquiry and got slammed by Rocky for bringing up some observations- whom I wrote OFFLIST by the way and HE POSTED.

You need to address some comments to him. I have had some great replies from others who, even if they disagreed, were respectful and explanatory.

Rachel

What did you expect? Your original post was negative, inflammatory and quite prejudiced. Basically you said..."Gee, I heard the DR sucks...should I move there or not?"

Remember your very own words-chaotic banana republic ghetto. Not only was your tone out of line, those comments are racist. If you dare call the DR this you are also referring to the people who live there.

Marco is a businessman and an ex-pat who has lived in the DR for years. He can tell you as much if not more about the DR than just about anyone else, but instead you choose to get into it with him.

You should of phrased your question in a much more positive tone, or done a search about this topic. But it seems you just want to be negative and send poeple pms questioning their alcohol intake. You need to stop this because it is not getting you anywhere.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This is not a rant against the DR, it is not intended to be insulting. I am telling you this is the impression a newcomer once excited about the possibility of retiring to the DR has received, not only from this site but several others as well.

I am not shrinking violet either, both of us were hippies in California back in the day and have seen our share of life.

TELL ME WHY WE SHOULD MOVE TO THE DR? What are the wonderful things about life there?

Thanks - I am looking forward to your replies.

Rachel

No Rachel, I won't 'tell' you why you should move here because I'm not a salesperson & I don't sell the DR. But ask me, do I love living here and I'll respond 'you betchya'.

You were 'once excited' about the possibility of moving here you say. I would suggest you think back to what it was which excited you......it's probably still here. Would it have been something to do with the indomitable spirit and generosity of soul of the Dominicans? Still here. The wonderful climate? Still here. The opportunity to move to a country where a small & insignificant person like me can still make a difference? Still here.

And understand that if like me you are really committed to this country, sometimes you will post negative things about it. Because.....you're telling it like it is, you don't want to hoodwink anyone and perhaps above all because sometimes you are helping to throw light on issues which need improvement. If you can understand that sometimes people criticise out of a deep committment to improvement, not because they're whiners then it might be worthwhile you continuing to examine your wish to relocate here. If you think all the 'negatives' are just that - unhappy expats moaning, then it probably isn't worth considering relocating to any developing country.

At the end of the day what is important to you is why you want to live here. So........why do you want to live here? What is it you are looking for? If you can tell us this we might be able to tell you if you'll find it here. You can find most things here in the DR but the 'search' for the expat has to start deep within the self.............Do you understand what I mean by this?

P.S. If you have a message for the moderator it is normal convention to send these via PM. I would suggest omitting telling her what she 'needs' to do.....

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com

Don't get ulcers about comments on this site. The posters were having some fun with you and how you posted. Get over it already! Try to remember that it is 'our' chaotic banana republic ghetto.

Yola's to Haiti indeed! :laugh::laugh:

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
To OP:

No way you can get a nice young beautiful lady in California like you can in DR. No doubt it alone overweights all the minor inconveniencies that you rightfully mentioned.

So, if you are still able to be interested in women - it is nobrainer - come down here!! We are partying big time!!

BTW, anybody knows why user "natural lover" is blocked? Did she/he violated anything or anybody? Or else?

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I live in a non-touristy area of the country, but visit the resort/big city/north coast areas a lot too. I think those areas would be nice to live in from what I have seen, but I enjoy life in the DR in my small town too. Bottom line (for me)- the people are extremely friendly and the lifestyle is very laid back and relaxed. These 2 thing alone are hard to come by in the US and, for me, outway any of the negatives a person MIGHT encounter from your list of drawbacks.

I speak fluent Spanish ...someone else already said it, and I would agree that speaking the language makes life here A LOT easier. You will feel more like you belong, and the locals will treat you more like you do too.

There are some potential negatives about the DR (like the ones you mentioned), but I think only the stupid gringos have to deal with them, whereas for the rest of us just see them as humorous and a tad bit annoying now and then ...nothing that the amazing weather and friendly atmosphere doesn't smooth over.

Best of luck in your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.