Sounds like a chaotic banana republic ghetto

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Thanks Fo Your Help

I have to say that I really did not deserve Rocky's ignorant and insulting replies - HE is the one who is starting off making enemies. Where is the civility here?

I was writing an honest inquiry and got slammed by Rocky for bringing up some observations- whom I wrote OFFLIST by the way and HE POSTED.

You need to address some comments to him. I have had some great replies from others who, even if they disagreed, were respectful and explanatory.

Rachel
:bunny: NOT SO LONG AGO http://www.dr1.com/forums/593525-post3.html
:bunny:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/70284-220-appliance-electronics.html

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
maybe instead of all the debating about whats good/bad fair/unfair rude/respectful etc you shoudl tell us a little bit about what kind of place you had in mind (to move to/retire) ...what things are you looking for ...what things would really turn you off ...and then those who already live in the area could give you some honest feedback on whether or not this place may suit you.

I haven't seen any cut and dry lists titled "great things about living in the DR" on this thread, so maybe you should try a different approach.

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
It'll be Okay...

TELL ME WHY WE SHOULD MOVE TO THE DR? What are the wonderful things about life there?

Thanks - I am looking forward to your replies.

Rachel

I've read the same threads and had the same question. Just got back from the DR and felt totally safe. Made a lot of friends both Dominicans and hotel guests. Life will be whatever you make it.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What did you expect? Your original post was negative, inflammatory and quite prejudiced. Basically you said..."Gee, I heard the DR sucks...should I move there or not?"

Remember your very own words-chaotic banana republic ghetto. Not only was your tone out of line, those comments are racist. If you dare call the DR this you are also referring to the people who live there.
Bingo.
I have to commend you, Berzin, for putting into words, the very essence of the problem.
The very title of this thread is so insulting and racist, the OP should consider herself lucky that I didn't tear her out a new one.
Who does she think she is, to use those words to describe this country and/or it's people?
I have little doubt that some people are wondering why I was so rude and sarcastic with her, but you sir, have described it perfectly.
I, DR1, and this country has no room for racist bigots.
May Rachel stay where she is and never come here to spread her venom.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Marcos, you gave her what she ask for with such title, sorry you always get back what you put in.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Let's see if she comes back. In all fairness I didn't pick up that she intended being racist. Her original post had me grinning as in 'here's another one who doesn't understand why she has read negatives about the DR'. AZB's response & yours had me chortling. I think a lot of this stuff stems from ignorance both about levels & spread of problems in this country & about why experienced expats might post negatives from time to time. However the attitude she displayed in PMing you (who had assisted her in a previous thread) gives us a bit more insight into the OP and the attitude displayed in 'advising' the moderator :rolleyes: kind of substantiates that. We all learned a long time ago that to survive here you have to have humility. Dominicans are very quick to recognise those who do & those who don't. I pick up a certain level of 'self-importance' from the OP rather than bigotry & if she wants to move here & survive happily, that self-importance will need an adjustment.

Let's see if she can come back, apologise, clarify, clear the decks & start again.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Bingo.
I have to commend you, Berzin, for putting into words, the very essence of the problem.
The very title of this thread is so insulting and racist, the OP should consider herself lucky that I didn't tear her out a new one.
Who does she think she is, to use those words to describe this country and/or it's people?
I have little doubt that some people are wondering why I was so rude and sarcastic with her, but you sir, have described it perfectly.
I, DR1, and this country has no room for racist bigots.
May Rachel stay where she is and never come here to spread her venom.

I didn't like it either...I found it offensive too. basically if she heard its so bad.. then why the heck would she want to consider moving down there in the first place.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Let's see if she can come back, apologise, clarify, clear the decks & start again.

With that overinflated sense of 'entitlement' ;)

Anyway, I hope that she does. People don't always understand their own impact initially. Coming on strong with such bold initial statements, of course someone is going to 'kick back' somewhere along the line! :laugh::laugh:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I don't see the lady becoming an expat in the Dominican Republic any time soon....or for that matter ever.....Panama you can have her.:paranoid:

postalmanpaul

Oct 25, 2007
as you can see

Hello everyone, as you can see I never post here. This being my first one I just had to post because the OP really has no idea what she is talking about.I have been to the D.R. twice a year for the last 10 years and what a lovely place it is and what wonderful people exist there. I really hope that I am able to retire here. I can see that the OP only reads the negatives about the D.R. because if she were able to see this wonderful place, the thread would not have been started in the first place. I guess this is what makes the world go round. Always loving the Dominican Republic. What more could you want in either a vacation or lifestyle, what a great place to be.Thanks to all the D.R.1 people for making this forum what it is. Great job.
regards, Paul:squareeye

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
To OP:

No way you can get a nice young beautiful lady in California like you can in DR. No doubt it alone overweights all the minor inconveniencies that you rightfully mentioned.

So, if you are still able to be interested in women - it is nobrainer - come down here!! We are partying big time!!

BTW, anybody knows why user "natural lover" is blocked? Did she/he violated anything or anybody? Or else?

AK74 - please learn to read - Rachel is a woman! She also stated her husband and her were thinking of relocating. She is not coming here looking for woman!

But then again - you obviously are one of those guys that come here only to "party", sleep with as many women as you can and have nothing of importance to contribute to the welfare of the society or bring solutions to the table.

There is a lot more to the DR than just bars and prostitutes, and I would hope that the next time someone asks "why they should move to the DR" that your answer is more insightful and not so derogatory!

Please do not get angry with me for my comments - it is just demeaning to only talk about how easy it is to get woman - there is a lot more the DR offers and when responding, especially to a woman, there is no need to think that woman and partying is the only reason to move here.

Marlie

swyse

Jan 4, 2008
I'm with you Rachel

I was all excited about making the DR my canadian winter getaway. Now I am spooked about all the crime, but I am looking at living in Punta Cana so I'm hoping its safer. I guess its just overwhelming when reading post after post about the possibilities of crime.

I am still considering my big purchase.

Manigault

Dec 26, 2006
My husband and I are thinking about moving to the DR and settling in the North area (although we don't like heat that much and would prefer the mountains). After reading a number of posts here on DR1, the impression left about living in the country is a pretty horrific one.

Constant and epidemic theft, from common pick pockets to customs agents to government police.

Robberies of persons and households common. Pros and cons of gated communities aside, some even recommend carrying weapons.

People see you as a target and many of them are dishonourable to say the least.

Government is so corrupt you cannot send anything saving in the DR from abroad without overpaying on tax (with no published rates) or having it stolen outright.

Drugs out of control in the cities. Haitians pouring into the country to be exploited for cheap labour (like Mexicans in California years ago) and perhaps to contribute to the overwhelming crime problem.

Can't really trust the police so don't even bother to report crime. Don't pull over for them at night or in rural areas even if they flag you. You could get robbed or shaken down.

The DR is the second poorest country in the Caribbean. People have said that the massive infiltration of drugs within the last 7 years so so has changed the place dramatically.

So, my question is, WHY IS ANYONE STILL LIVING THERE? WHY ARE PEOPLE MOVING HERE?

This is not a rant against the DR, it is not intended to be insulting. I am telling you this is the impression a newcomer once excited about the possibility of retiring to the DR has received, not only from this site but several others as well.

I am not shrinking violet either, both of us were hippies in California back in the day and have seen our share of life.

TELL ME WHY WE SHOULD MOVE TO THE DR? What are the wonderful things about life there?

Thanks - I am looking forward to your replies.

Rachel

Well one good thing about DR is that you can buy your way out of any problem. People that I know move here because you can do more with little..For example, if you are a lowlife nobody in the North America you can easily come down to DR and live rather well.

Im talking house paid off, maid, chauffer etc. I like DR the mostly because its a big ego trip for me. I walk into certain places, everyone knows who I am and pleades for my attention.

Also the societal constraints of N.A. are just not there in the DR..You can freely be who you want to be, and not have to worry about being PC or dealing with all the fake people.

I know plenty of guys that are grocery baggers in the USA but come to the DR and live like kings for a week or two..

Where else on earth can I 60-70 year old guy actually have a shot at a model type 18 year old woman..that will worship the ground that the man walks on??

I could go on, but that is it for now.

Manigault

Dec 26, 2006
Have you seen the movie Apocalypse Now, with Marlon Brando? You know when he was living off the land in organized chaos in Vietnam? Well its kinda like if you would enjoy, and be excited by the grime and barbarism of DR.

There are other countries with better economic infrastructure like Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica etc so if you want that then its better to move there..Like in those countries the people are more educated, write proper spanish, and the people don't inheritantly beg strangers..they would instead prefer to work for what they want.

So going to DR is basically if you want to be a gringa living couped up in some gated community, while hubby makes his weekly contributions to the cabana business. If you like living in a jungle where who screams loudest and pays the most wins..then you will love DR.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Have you seen the movie Apocalypse Now, with Marlon Brando? You know when he was living off the land in organized chaos in Vietnam? Well its kinda like if you would enjoy, and be excited by the grime and barbarism of DR.

Friend, you truly know the DR. Great summary.

Status
Not open for further replies.