Spanish speakers recommend me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Anyone has advice to improve my 'r' sound. Its sounds kinda like a french-accent r, coming from the throat. I've been trying forever to make a nice rolling r, but its not working at all.

In order to trill the r, the tongue tip must strike the alveolar ridge (the area right behind the upper front teeth) several times in rapid succession.

It is not an easy sound for English speakers, but it can be learned. Did you play with toy cars as a child? How do cars go? (Don't use your lips.)

Do the following drill twice a day (when you get up, before going to bed) for 5 minutes or so. (Lips must not touch!)
carro - rosa - perro - corro - barra - cerrado - enterrado - Roberto

You will improve with time.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I had to spend hours practicing the sound so I bought a cat who liked listening to it.
I felt and looked less insane talking to cat !?
And I can now roll my R's at will for as long as I want, which is nice.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Funny, I didn't really have a problem with this part, but other parts I have had more than my share of problems, like getting rid of my gringo accent, cripes.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
aha... well almost every letter is not pronounced the same - they are only disguised as the same letter.I would like to hear your English accent sometime ...lol only joking

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
I can make a long rolling r, like perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrro. But I cant make it short (like just a normal natural r), as soon as i want to say pero it sounds like pejro (r in the back of the throat). When I try to put my tongue in the front pronouncing the short rolling r it come out like an english r.
I have been practising this with word like ramon, perro...basically any word with an r that i can think of, but its not improving. So frrrrrrustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.