sponsorship to canada....process postings from start to finish

eve_bebe00

Jan 21, 2008
i agree with you mart, i was talking with my husband that if you compare the USA consulate website to the canadian , you will see that the canadian is not so informative and complete as the USA one.

Johana

May 24, 2006
Well I think the fact that they will ask for a copy of a document you submitted when they have the original document speaks volumes to the way they are processing applications.
Instead of them making the copy we get to spend 1550RD or $50cdn to send a photocopy...if it wasn't for having to also send an original marriage certificate I really would have been saying what the %$#*?? :)

FM,
my husband's application went in process Jan 31st - we sent an original birth certificate and have been asked for a copy....you sent a photocopy and are asked for an original.

To me it seems like they are creating delays by requesting these documents. Perhaps they would like to go back to having the longest processing times in the world (currently they moved slightly ahead of Accra). And what options do we have? We pay for more documents, more translations and more shipping costs.
I'm not sure if the poster from the thread regarding the cost of sponsorship is reading any of these threads about our trials and tribulations with Haiti - but the cost is definitely not just the application. It's all these extras....plus the additional time spouses have to spend on long distance and travel just to talk to each other and be together. And if you don't travel then what...you risk them questioning the validity of your relationship?

Sorry for the rant!!! But this "support group" are the people who truly understand what everyone is going through - or could go through. It's too bad we are all so spread out in where we live - it would be great to have a get together in Canada once all our spouses are here :)

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm following everyone's process here and I was thinking of the reason they are doing this lately. Could it be that Haiti has run into fraudulent documents recently and that is why no matter what you send in they will ask for the opposite? Are they testing to see if the applicant can come up with the same documents twice?

Just thinking out loud here ;)

I wonder what they would ask for if you send in originals and copies.

Johana

May 24, 2006
Anna,

perhaps you are right :)

Hopefully any one new going through the process will read these threads and make sure they leave their spouse with the extra documents so they are ready for this type of request.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
It's been awhile since anyone has posted that they have had any luck in completing the process of getting their loved one over.... The last time I have heard of anyone coming over here was Feb'08 ... I guess things have really slowed down now. But I know there are three of us here that have been waiting the longest, and alot of people that began this process earlier this year. Hoefully one of us here going through this will hear something soon.;)

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
update from Ottawa

Hi all

I received an update from Ottawa today, they said in an email that Haiti is satisfied our marriage is bonifide, all appropriate documents have been submitted and all they have left to do is a background check. I don't know what they mean by background check, but they added that in most cases like this it takes 8 - 11 months from start to finish. Haiti says they have been processing our file for 8 months. This time frame is a little different from what I see it as. Don't know where they get the 8 months from. But whatever at least I know things are moving. So let's see what the background checks consist of and how long it will take, but at least I know there are no questions about our relationship. Does anyone know about the "background checks" Is this not what the police checks are for, what else coudl there possibly be in a background check. I do know this things sure have moved a lot quicker since involving my MP and the office in Ottawa.

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
basically make sure he hasnt been involved in some sort of delinquent activities since he was 16 I believe....but anyways that is great news, I wish I had the same answer you got today from anyone in the world....

fireman9119ca

Mar 1, 2008
mart

Good Morning M

Nice to hear things are at least moving for your and you husband.

Please keep us posted

FM

(latested update for us...sent in more original documents last week and also recieved a B number...not sure if i mentioned that..

have a good day everyone

Also I will have a fully funished apartment for rent in Santo Domingo in a few months if anyone is interested. EL Milon area...

Johana

May 24, 2006
Mart,

thanks for the update. It's nice to see that you have received a response from Ottawa. Maybe Haiti's timeline is from when they started working on the file not when you submitted the application to CPC Mississauga.
Could this be the same background check that Castro's husband is going through? The one that takes at least 3 months? Maybe that is the latest thing.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Mart0417 - when you talk to "Ottawa" who is it you are talking to?
Great news BTW!!!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
fireman9119ca - did you check your B file # online? Did it say anything different from using the case #?

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Mart0417 - when you talk to "Ottawa" who is it you are talking to?
Great news BTW!!!

My Mp calls and emails the minister of Immigration office, and asks them to respond to me. Ottawa has all our information on the computer, they can tell you when things were processed, who is assigned your case, any notes the office in Haiti makes about your file etc. etc.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Well, when my husband sent in his new documents, I had my MP e-mail to see if the recieved them(which I knew they did, because we tracked them online) just to see what they would say , and they told my MP that they would now have to do a bachground check which could take afew months. So the MP said they would e-mail them at the beginning of June. Well it's the beginning of June, and next week will be three months they have been doing a background check. So what gives...... I'm gonna call them MP to e-mail on June 16/08 I don't want to **** them off at this point.....I just want them to finish this before I have to go in July. The background check is the last stage of the process. I posted a thread about that awhile ago....

castro

Jul 5, 2007
My Mp calls and emails the minister of Immigration office, and asks them to respond to me. Ottawa has all our information on the computer, they can tell you when things were processed, who is assigned your case, any notes the office in Haiti makes about your file etc. etc.

Wow that's great.. Why did'nt my MP do the same thing. We were told to write a letter of complaint and back it up with all our e-mails from Haiti and ones we sent too.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
http://Family Class Application Process - Rss Canada Immigration
Hi all

I received an update from Ottawa today, they said in an email that Haiti is satisfied our marriage is bonifide, all appropriate documents have been submitted and all they have left to do is a background check. I don't know what they mean by background check, but they added that in most cases like this it takes 8 - 11 months from start to finish. Haiti says they have been processing our file for 8 months. This time frame is a little different from what I see it as. Don't know where they get the 8 months from. But whatever at least I know things are moving. So let's see what the background checks consist of and how long it will take, but at least I know there are no questions about our relationship. Does anyone know about the "background checks" Is this not what the police checks are for, what else coudl there possibly be in a background check. I do know this things sure have moved a lot quicker since involving my MP and the office in Ottawa.

Remeber when I posted a link for the process. It tells you everything here in detail how it all is done. ] .http://Family Class Application Process - RSS Canada Immigration The background check is the police certifcate . So they want to see if you have a certifcate for" good conduct "or "no criminal activity" and they usually are valid for 6 months.. So I hope they will complete this process before they expire again. We are already at the 3 month mark, so they should be done before September... That still so far away.... When will this ever end....

Last edited:

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
When we completed the process last year at the interview the IO told us she believed in our relationship and would do the background check. We had the visa less than 2 weeks later. Then again that was June 07 things have changed since then.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
That's great..... Only if that would be happen now... It seems they are making things harder now. But we have had our application in since March/07.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I briefly saw something on the news about 1-2 weeks ago regarding cracking down on family sponsorship applications & the number of people only getting married for purposes of a visa to Canada.

They didn't elaborate on how they proposed to do this but maybe it explains some of the delays.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes I mentioned that before. It seems that this asking of originals and or copies of documents already sent in, is something new lately which is really slowing down the process. Unfortunately some Innocent people are getting caught in the middle of it all.

Sangria where did you read this?