Dec 26, 2003
la pelota, el bal?n / la bola

My kids need to know
do you use la bola or la pelota for the following:

el beisbol
el f?tbol
el baloncesto

TIA

La pelota (more common in Latin America) and el bal?n are used synonymously to refer to a ball used to play a sport. Specifically with the sports you mentioned in your post you can use either la pelota de f?tbol, la pelota de b?isbol, and la pelota de baloncesto (that seems a bit ironic). However, with some sports you will definitely hear one used more than the other and vice versa. As well, when people say- 'let's play ball' in my experience, I have always heard, have been taught and used jugar a la pelota and not jugar al bal?n. Not to say it does not exist but I have yet to hear it used. Certain expressions are more common in certain areas of the Spanish-speaking world than others. It's good to listen, observe and ask the right people.

In my opinion, using la bola is the one you have to be most careful with because while la pelota and el bal?n refer to a ball used for sports, la bola also refers to the shape of an object. An object shaped like a ball but not necessarily used in a sport, for example, una bola de nieve- snowball (yes, for those of us who have to endure winter). However, in baseball, la bola is used a lot in the plays but la pelota is more commonly used when just referring to the ball. For example, a walk when a pitcher throws four balls as opposed to a strike is una base por bolas- base on balls, or a fast ball is una bola r?pida. Also, there are many other connotations for bola (outside of sports) so unless you have complete understanding of the usage, I recommend la pelota or el bal?n accordingly.

The differences in terminology in some sports is something I like to observe since I watch sports in English and Spanish and Spanish primarily for soccer. One aspect that I noticed right away is differences in vocabulary used in Spain vs. Latin America. For example, there are three common ways to say a goalie (in soccer)- el arquero, el portero or el guardameta but the usage depends on the country. Other examples are: el gol or el tanto both mean goal. As well, there are many English words used in Spanish in baseball whereas there are very few English words used in soccer (my observation) in comparison. This could be that soccer is not a dominate sport in the USA as it is in Latin America and Europe. Therefore, there is less of an influence although the passion and interest for the sport continues to grow in the USA.

I hope this helps. Instead of just giving the answer I like to add my observations about the usage of the words for clarity.

This has the potential to be a good thread. Hopefully others will add constructive observations.

-MP.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The formal Spanish word for football (soccer) is balompi? (good thing I checked the spelling). The team in our neighbouring town sports the grand name of Real Balomp?dica Linense.

Here are some football terms in Spanish:
Saque de me-ta* - goal kick
Saque de banda - throw in
Fuera de juego - offside
Una falta - foul
Un pen?lti - penalty
Un c?rner - corner

A full list can be found on Spanish Soccer Vocabulary

*read as one word - inserted dash because forum thinks it's a rude word

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
You guys are the best. Will be sharing parts of this thread with my students.

And I will likely share the video they are making for pre-school kids as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.