Spousal sponsorship to Canada.....poster Castro's process start to finish thread

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
hey people don't try to get desperate and rush everything and be patient, the more patient you are the faster the process is going to be... my process started february 12nd and the website just changed last week and it now says "in process" you should at least wait 7 to 8 months to start enquiring about ur process in haiti or contacting your MP...hope this helps

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Why me????

Well I did'nt recieve a letter of acknowledgment from Haiti, but I did recieve an e-mail from Haiti on April 24/08. I don't know how I missed this but guess what. They said they recieved the papers my husband sent on March13/08, which according to the UPS tracking system it was recieved on March10/08. So I guess that's when it reached their desk. But anyways not good news as usual. Now they are saying the are doing further bachground check on my husband and this could take a FEW MONTHS. What does this mean??? By my calulations, Afew months would put us at 17 months in total. So I guess there gonna be axxes about it. Why do some people get through in 7-9 months. And others have to fight every step of the way to get anywhere. Well this time I will be sending my letter to Ottawa so the can investigate what is going on in Haiti. I was talking to them acouple of months ago, but held off because they started asking for him to redo his papers. So I thought it would'nt be long after that. Boy was I really wrong... Does anyone know what a few months means?? does'nt it mean 5 months??? :tired: They have never asked for any other paperwork, documents, proof of relationship so what's the problem, there's nothing missing .. They just want to put us through hell...

Johana

May 24, 2006
Castro,
I contacted my MP based on the fact that "most people" see their spouse's application as In Process approx. 6-8 weeks after they are approved as the sponsor.
Fireman sent his app. to Mississauga about a week and a half before me, was approved as a sponsor about a week before me and saw his wife's papers In Process at the end of Jan.
I expected it could be 10-12 weeks for mine as they were sent to Haiti mid-December and I was allowing for extra time due to Christmas holidays. They are supposed to start working on them by the date they are received.
I contacted my MP after waiting 16 weeks and still seeing no change on the website and no response to my email in March confirming they rec'd my Use of Rep. form and request for the B File number. As well I researched information on other Embassies. Plus I remembered Mart's post about her husband's papers being sent in Sept and then being told they did not show up until Feb.
Since contacting my MP I have read or know about 2 other situations where people were approved as sponsors after me and their applications are In Process. I am sure there are more than just those 2.
I had a bad feeling and didn't want to wait 17 months and then contact my MP.

I realize we haven't been waiting as long as you and your husband. I hope "the few months" really won't be that long. Maybe they write that so that you can't hold them to a specific time??

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Okay so I am just thinking about what the guy in Mississauga told me today not to worry about the papers getting there as they are all filed electronically....so....how do they get the photos and all the other bits and pieces you put in the application there if it is electronic?? Hmmm........

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Okay so I am just thinking about what the guy in Mississauga told me today not to worry about the papers getting there as they are all filed electronically....so....how do they get the photos and all the other bits and pieces you put in the application there if it is electronic?? Hmmm........[/QUOTE

Hi Lexi

When you wrote your first post, I was wondering myself how that works???
So if they send it electronically , maybe they scan all the pics to them. Or maybe, Mississauga are the ones who look over all the documents and send Haiti a letter stating if everything is in order, and what is missing or what needs to be done. I know Mississauga looks over everything on the checklist to make sure it's all there. So maybe they give Haiti the results. It would only make sense that Mississauga would review the application from this end. Only a thought.:confused:

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I was thinking that too but then I remembered reading how some people were asked if they wanted their pictures and things back at the interview? I am lost now! :)

The guy I was talking to said that they had sent a "positive response" to Haiti in my case so not sure what he meant. Was he talking about the fact that the papers were in order etc?

Who knows...maybe we are all overthinking everything! Then again what else can we do when we are waiting for months on end........

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I just called Immigration in Mississauga this morning and this is what the lady told me...

"Yes, we send everything electronically with a memo about your file. But we also send the file in a diplomatic bag so that they have everything. It goes both ways to ensure they have all the documents straight away. They still need the originals and photos etc. to look at when it gets to Haiti. After that all your papers (photos etc.) will be shredded."

Haven't we heard about people getting their things back at the interview stage?

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Okay so I am just thinking about what the guy in Mississauga told me today not to worry about the papers getting there as they are all filed electronically....so....how do they get the photos and all the other bits and pieces you put in the application there if it is electronic?? Hmmm........

ok if they are filed electronically then someone tell me why Mississauga says they sent our papers Sept 27th and Haiti says they received them Feb 8th. That's along time before an electronic file gets looked at. By the way the website still says unavailable for my status

castro

Jul 5, 2007
I'm just wondering if an e-mail from Haiti with my husbands b client number and a letter stating they are paper screening his papers and he will hear from them shortly. Is as good as getting a acknowledgment letter? I think so, it is confriming that they did receive his application and they did give him his b client number. Just a thought!!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I'm just wondering if an e-mail from Haiti with my husbands b client number and a letter stating they are paper screening his papers and he will hear from them shortly. Is as good as getting a acknowledgment letter? I think so, it is confriming that they did receive his application and they did give him his b client number. Just a thought!!

castro - who did they send the e-mail to? You or your husband? Was it after you had e-mailed them or did they just send you an e-mail out of the blue?

castro

Jul 5, 2007
castro - who did they send the e-mail to? You or your husband? Was it after you had e-mailed them or did they just send you an e-mail out of the blue?

Haiti sent the e-mail to my husband, and it was out of the blue. He never sent Haiti one.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Wow! That's definitely unheard of Castro! Sounds like things are looking up!! You must have been excited?

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Wow! That's definitely unheard of Castro! Sounds like things are looking up!! You must have been excited?

Well I really don't want to get my hopes up.... We were already let down once. So let's just say I think it's starting to go somewhere. Where I don't know? And how long, who knows either? But all I can say is without DR1 I would have lost it by now, this website keeps my mind on there things, besides worrying whether or not my status has changed on line. I'm not gonna lie I use to check it everyday until December. Now your luckly if I look, I know it's still the same... I have meet alot of great friends on here, who also taught me alot of things from all their posts and pm's . Anna you have been great too. Very informative when we needed to know something, you always seem to be there if someone did not know the answer.Thanks for all your help. ;)

castro

Jul 5, 2007
National security check?

Does anyone one know how long it takes to do a national security check ? They did a background check, this is different. My husband worked for the police so they need to do further screening for his application. Has anyone ever had to do this before?

Last edited by a moderator:

castro

Jul 5, 2007
I don't know who is asking. I think it is Immigration Canada. Haiti sent my MP an e-mail with an update. Or it is standard procedure for the Immigration process, because he worked in the police force.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Going For An Interview to Immigration Canada.

Has anyone recently gone for an interview in Santo Domingo. We are going for an interview next week, and wanted any help to what they might be looking for. Not that I am too concerned, but we have waited so long I don`t want anything to go wrong. We are going to bring all our documents, pics,ect. I don`t even know if they will let me go in to the interview with my husband. Any help would be great.

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
Castro.

I attended my husbands interview with him a year ago May. They also didn't know I was going to make a guest appearance. The immigration officer interviewed me separately from Jose. The officers questions will be pertain to everything that you have submitted on the documents. My best piece of advise is to go in there and speak the truth. Jose was asked many of the same questions I was. Don't get caught up on how to answer the questions. If you speak the truth you have nothing to worry about. Be prepared for questions of what your husbands plans are for when he arrives ie. job, english classes.

The officers job is to make sure that the relationship is genuine. If you have any phone bills, pics, cards. etc that they haven't seen take them with you. Take his passport with you. If they don't ask for it, offer it to them at the end of the interview.

After our interview Jose had his Visa within 15 days and was here in Toronto a week later.

Good luck!
Sandy

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Castro I have copied and moved the answer that SJSantos gave you in another thread.

Wishing you the best.

Last edited:

Johana

May 24, 2006
Castro,

it's great to see that Immigration is also proceeding with your husband's visa. I know you, Mart and Marxsis and your spouses have all been waiting an extremely long time.

It does give the rest of us some hope that have filed after all of you that one day they may get to ours :)

Best of luck with the interview and it's great that you can be there with your husband.