SSSSS on Boarding Pass???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Today our daughter and grandson flew home from SDQ. Anyone have a clue what all this is about? She needed a stamp on her boarding pass??? Grandson is 16, they kept trying to separate them. They’re both dual citizens. Neither speaks Spanish, both understand a little.

Her texts:

What a mess in DR. I tried to go through first set of security and they stopped me and tried to force (her son) in and me to another door. I made them let him come back. We go somewhere else, to a VIP area and they tell me to take the elevator to 3rd floor. We do, no clue why. I go though security and they guy tells me I need a stamp, but not where to go. I wait in line with him for immigration to stamp passports and she shows me where I need to go. My boarding pass had “sssss” on it. She tried to separate us too, I refuse. He comes with me and we wait elsewhere for them to stamp my boarding pass and write my name and passport info into a log book. Then we shop a little. Get to the gate and they announce names and call mine. I go up and she looks and my documents and says something is Spanish- I nod and walk away. I think it was all about checking this boarding pass for this random stamp. Idk why. When I got in the plane they tore it too. Not his, just mine.

Jan 9, 2004
Today our daughter and grandson flew home from SDQ. Anyone have a clue what all this is about? She needed a stamp on her boarding pass??? Grandson is 16, they kept trying to separate them. They’re both dual citizens. Neither speaks Spanish, both understand a little.

Her texts:

What a mess in DR. I tried to go through first set of security and they stopped me and tried to force (her son) in and me to another door. I made them let him come back. We go somewhere else, to a VIP area and they tell me to take the elevator to 3rd floor. We do, no clue why. I go though security and they guy tells me I need a stamp, but not where to go. I wait in line with him for immigration to stamp passports and she shows me where I need to go. My boarding pass had “sssss” on it. She tried to separate us too, I refuse. He comes with me and we wait elsewhere for them to stamp my boarding pass and write my name and passport info into a log book. Then we shop a little. Get to the gate and they announce names and call mine. I go up and she looks and my documents and says something is Spanish- I nod and walk away. I think it was all about checking this boarding pass for this random stamp. Idk why. When I got in the plane they tore it too. Not his, just mine.

The dreaded SSSS. It is a secondary inspection that can be triggered by any one of a number of things including a gate agent deciding you need further inspection.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If you get SSSS on your boarding pass, it means you have been randomly selected for enhanced security checks. This normally means you have swabs taken of your hand luggage and they check for drugs, and do a more thorough inspection of your hand luggage. The computer throws this up every xx boarding passes. When you have been through the enhanced security they then stamp you and write it in a log book. It's a security measure.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The dreaded SSSS. It is a secondary inspection that can be triggered by any one of a number of things including a gate agent deciding you need further inspection.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Oh OK, I thought it was randomly generated every xxx boarding passes on each flight. But I guess the gate agent may also flag you for some reason too.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The "ssss" on a boarding pass is for a secondary screening. They are random for the most part. I have "heard" theories about them over the years but honestly it is just something random. What triggers it is based on the information in the airline system. I worked for the airlines, and I have had this happen to me. They call it the "dreaded ssss".

Jan 9, 2004
The "ssss" on a boarding pass is for a secondary screening. They are random for the most part. I have "heard" theories about them over the years but honestly it is just something random. What triggers it is based on the information in the airline system. I worked for the airlines, and I have had this happen to me. They call it the "dreaded ssss".

Again some are truly random and others are computer generated based on a number of criteria i.e., traveling alone, one way ticket, quick return time on international travel, law enforcement information, and even a ticket agent that you cross paths with at the counter can trigger an ssss as a revenge mechanism.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
If you get SSSS on your boarding pass, it means you have been randomly selected for enhanced security checks. This normally means you have swabs taken of your hand luggage and they check for drugs, and do a more thorough inspection of your hand luggage. The computer throws this up every xx boarding passes. When you have been through the enhanced security they then stamp you and write it in a log book. It's a security measure.
Incorrect, this has nothing to do with "swabs" of your luggage. It is a random selection. Something in the "reservation" system triggers the check but it varies. Again, I have been checked and I have every type of clearance there is.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010

Her texts:

SSSS on boarding Pass means" secondary security screening selection". Its written by airline check in screening. You can google for more
info. I would suspect because of travelling with a minor and just to bring attention to immigration to check that all is OK.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Again some are truly random and others are computer generated based on a number of criteria i.e., traveling alone, one way ticket, quick return time on international travel, law enforcement information, and even a ticket agent that you cross paths with at the counter can trigger an ssss as a revenge mechanism.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Again, there are different "profiles" that will "kick" a "ssss" on your boarding pass.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Exactly.

There are multiple criteria that can trigger it.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Correct, and Its NOT Random , there are multiple things which can Trigger it , but it most Certainly is not Random , dont care who told anyone that , dont care if you worked for the Airlines , and especially MR google . lmao
Ask someone who works in US Customs.. and they will tell you.

Reactions: Auryn and Big

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Correct, and Its NOT Random , there are multiple things which can Trigger it , but it most Certainly is not Random , dont care who told anyone that , dont care if you worked for the Airlines , and especially MR google . lmao
Ask someone who works in US Customs.. and they will tell you.
Very wrong, it can be and is random. Been there done it. Sometimes it just happens, the system can "select" you for a secondary check, "ssss" on your boarding pass. It has nothing to do with Customs/Border Patrol. Even if a counter agent feels you should have a secondary check, then they will have a "ssss" printed on your boarding pass. And please do not tell me no, because I have done it.

Last edited:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Very wrong, it can be random. Been there done it. Sometimes it just happens, the system can "select" you for a secondary check, "ssss" on your boarding pass.
U worked in US Customs for 35 years ?
thanks, but I will go with what a retired Top Security Clearance Officer tells me .

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Reactions: JD Jones

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How odd they chose her. She and her son have same surname. It was a quick trip, Wednesday to Sunday for him to play baseball for 4 scouts. Why would they keep trying to separate them?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
How odd they chose her. She and her son have same surname. It was a quick trip, Wednesday to Sunday for him to play baseball for 4 scouts. Why would they keep trying to separate them?
to see if they have the same exact story ..
its nothing personal .. but someone or something triggered it . and its usually nothing of substance .

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
It varies, could be travel history, length of trip, etc.. Also, there are times when a "travel warning" comes out. Airlines telling their employees to watch for this and that. Great to hear about the scouts, best of luck to him!!!

Last edited:

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I travel to and from SDQ and the Middle East and have had SSSS on my boarding pass many times, both at SDQ and a number of US airports. I have been called back from the gate at SDQ because a stamp was missing on my boarding pass. Nothing to worry about just let security go through the secondary screening.