SSSSS on Boarding Pass???

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
Again some are truly random and others are computer generated based on a number of criteria i.e., traveling alone, one way ticket, quick return time on international travel, law enforcement information, and even a ticket agent that you cross paths with at the counter can trigger an ssss as a revenge mechanism.

Happens to us …almost every time in PUJ and GRU ….the last time?…last week …I just 🙄🙄🙄🙄…assume the position….and let them do their dance ….as long as they don’t try to walk away with the kids ….or the passports….I’m good .

Last business trip….at the initial security counter….young “security “ man asked what I did for a living …told him …how long? …told him …where ?…told him ….then “ please explain to me the challenges you face day to day in your business “ …..erm …NO! ..what is this? …a job interview? ….refused to answer ….got the “SSSS” ….

Long story short….half an hour later …there we were chatting about our kids and soccer with “ senior “ security….then…10 minutes before boarding….name called …collected a new boarding pass ….this time with ..…”DOCS-OK” …Vamos!

A tip…don’t panic ….you go through security quicker with SSSS ….especially in PUJ …they let you jump …not skip …the long ‘tourists shoes off baggage check’ queue….see it as Dominican VIP service 🇩🇴🇩🇴.😬😁

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Incorrect, this has nothing to do with "swabs" of your luggage. It is a random selection. Something in the "reservation" system triggers the check but it varies. Again, I have been checked and I have every type of clearance there is.

Sorry I think you misread what I wrote. I said that when you are pulled over for the enhanced testing, they then do swabs of your hand luggage - they use the little wipe things and put them into the machine to test for drugs - at least every time I've had the SSSS this has happened. But I agree with you, it's mainly a random thing that is triggered by the airline systems.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
How odd they chose her. She and her son have same surname. It was a quick trip, Wednesday to Sunday for him to play baseball for 4 scouts. Why would they keep trying to separate them?

It's the computer that randomly picks passengers, nobody chose them. If one has the SSSS and the other one doesn't, then one has to go through one channel and the other is treated differently.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's the computer that randomly picks passengers, nobody chose them. If one has the SSSS and the other one doesn't, then one has to go through one channel and the other is treated differently.

That makes sense, except when the other person is a minor and you’re in a foreign country. She was pretty freaked out.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
That makes sense, except when the other person is a minor and you’re in a foreign country. She was pretty freaked out.

Agreed, if one is a minor they should have let him tag along with her. I'm sure they would have done in another country. I would suggest you put in a complaint - I'd suggest you start with the Dominican Republic tourist board in your home country as they usually have very good contacts. They certainly should not be separating children from their parents at any stage of the process.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
The wife and got pulled aside a few years back. Fortunately they let her stay with the bags and marched me down the hallway surrounded by 4 very serious looking fellows. When they started asking questions I broke out my best Cibaeno Spanish accent. Lots of responses that started out with Si senoi... Walked out of that room doing abrazos with a bunch of smiling security guys. My wife could'nt wait to get me aside and ask wtf happened in there? I had the dreaded ssss.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
How many trips does one need to be picked " at random" by this mysterious computer algorithm ?
I would like to be picked once too .

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
If it's random then I must be the unluckiest person on the planet,I get the SSSS every single time,50+ times....to be honest,I know exactly why I get it and it sure as heck isn't a random decision on their part :cool:

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
If it's random then I must be the unluckiest person on the planet,I get the SSSS every single time,50+ times....to be honest,I know exactly why I get it and it sure as heck isn't a random decision on their part :cool:
I run at about 20% leaving the DR and 50% entering Canada. Get a lot of complaints that there isn't enough stuff to search.

What do they call doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result?

Reactions: jd426

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Care to share?
Your fellow dr1er's are calling out for enlightenment on possible reasons for being fingered for the dreaded ssss.
lol.
I know. I know.
Mind my own beeswax and all that stuff.
Just curious.

Reactions: AlterEgo

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I ALMOST got picked, once , coming from Mexico ... I had a Leak in my Carry on ( red flag # 1) , and I was wearing dark sunglasses and refused to take them off because I thought they looked Cool ( red Flag # 2) .. the Moment I took off my sunglasses , they guy immediately randomly cleared me ..

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Never noticed the SSSS thing on any of my boarding passes.

I never have any problem getting in or out of the DR--- touch wood--- but every where else just seem to love me.

I'm that guy that gets intercepted by guys in black suits AFTER going through passport control.

I'm also that guy that gets off the plane first because there is announcement asking everybody to stay seated, and could the passenger in seat 10B please present himself to the front of the plane ...... then the door opens and I am greeted by a couple of police officers.

The crazy part is nothing ever comes out of these checks. All very polite and courteous. I always keep answers to a minimum, thankfully no police states in europe, yet Passport check.
Where am I coming from ? ( really ? I literally just took 1 step off the plane ....).
You seem to visit the DR a lot. I like it.
Where am I going ? Home.
What do I do for a living ? this and that.
Then they thank me and I am on my way ...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Never noticed the SSSS thing on any of my boarding passes.

I never have any problem getting in or out of the DR--- touch wood--- but every where else just seem to love me.

I'm that guy that gets intercepted by guys in black suits AFTER going through passport control.

I'm also that guy that gets off the plane first because there is announcement asking everybody to stay seated, and could the passenger in seat 10B please present himself to the front of the plane ...... then the door opens and I am greeted by a couple of police officers.

The crazy part is nothing ever comes out of these checks. All very polite and courteous. I always keep answers to a minimum, thankfully no police states in europe, yet Passport check.
Where am I coming from ? ( really ? I literally just took 1 step off the plane ....).
You seem to visit the DR a lot. I like it.
Where am I going ? Home.
What do I do for a living ? this and that.
Then they thank me and I am on my way ...

Here is a Big Clue .
They usually ask you questions they already KNOW the answers to .
This is especially true at Immigration checkpoint , ( different topic perhaps )
they have all your info at their fingertips , and it better match what comes out of your mouth ..
If you visit someplace a LOT , there better be a Reason for it . not just " its my Vacation , the weather is always nice"
Also u can assume they have all your Cell phone , Employment , & Tax records as well .. all nice and neat.

Reactions: JD Jones

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
From what I’ve read today, this is something triggered by USA Dept of Homeland Security, and only happens on flights going to USA (or wholly within USA). No idea if my daughter was random, or if it’s because she flies often for baseball with her sons. She’d just spent a long weekend in Florida where her other son was a guest ball player for a team run by former ball player (Dominican) Mo Peña. She hasn’t been in DR for 11 years.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
They always ask if I have friends there, and the answer is always no. Might mix it up sometime as I have quite a few friends, just have no idea of their last names. Can rattle off about 8 Mikes, normally identified by occupation or home town/state/province.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The only times I’ve ever been flagged is when I’ve brought rescue dogs DR-Canada. They used to check both the dog kennels and my luggage very thoroughly.

I remember thinking that it might be an easy way to smuggle drugs.

One guy in line with me once said he got flagged all the time. He had full body tattoos and blamed it on that.