Standardized tests will be easier

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Pruebas-Nacionales-Diario-Libre-1024x656.png

To ensure that more students pass the Standardized Tests, the Ministry of Education is working to eliminate difficulties that could lead to a large percentage of non-pass grades. The “Pruebas Nacionales” have not been applied since 2020, when the government ordered all schools to go virtual or close for the pandemic.

Diario Libre reports adjustments are being made in the sections testing mathematics, Spanish language skills, sciences and social studies. The mathematics tests are being significantly watered down. The reason: the topics were not covered during the 2021 school year due to the pandemic and remote learning limitations.

An editorial in Diario Libre criticizes the decline in the quality in Dominican public education despite billions poured into this highly politicized sector.

As reported in El Dia, the president of the Dominican Association of Public School...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2007
Of course, If you are not teaching the required material and if students are not learning, just dumb down the test and brag about your improved results.

Bob - I never heard that curriculum objectives had been changed due to COVID. Is that true?

Public education is such a disappointment here. I guess the only good thing is that it makes us - the alternative learning options - look even better - sometimes.

Yesterday I was told by a parent that her daughter had been accused of cheating on a math exam because she scored 100%. The girl is in our afterschool math enrichment class. She is one of our top students. The mother was upset, copied the test, and gave it to her daughter to take at home that evening. The girl scored 100% again. The parent asked the teacher to have the girl take the test again in her classroom after school. The teacher refused and said that she is failing the girl.

Too many rotten eggs in education here.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
This will just make matters worse. I think it’s intentional.

Lindsey your story makes me absolutely cringe for its lack of common sense and integrity.

llapaglia21

Dec 19, 2013
WOW! What a ridiculous decision. Instead of increasing the qualifications of teachers, improving the curriculum, requiring ALL children from K-12 to attend school, and helping improve education in the country so that it can actually improve the nation and move from a third world status, they go ahead and dumb down the test so that it can look like students are doing better and schools are improving their teaching. WHAT A JOKE! ONLY in the Dominican Republic would an absurd decision as this be made. While other countries are increasing educational standards, the DR is decreasing them. Perhaps if the children were better educated (and I mean ALL children required to go to school for the traditional 7 to 8 hours a day) there would be less poverty, less crime, and more advancement. It seems everyone here is ok with the status quo and they do not care about educating their children for a better life. There is NO excuse as to why the proper material was not taught, even throughout COVID. There are children all around the world who were forced to take classes online and had little to no personalized teacher assistance yet, they learned what they needed to. Even though the situation required them to also sit at home and learn some material on their own and review it in the class, there is no reason it was not done. This decision is just SHAMEFUL! My daughter has been homeschooled for over 3 years now and no matter what is happening around the world, she does the assigned curriculum. All this country is doing is fooling themselves and cheating the next generation to make themselves look better. The Dominican Republic is already rated/ranked extremely low worldwide in regards to education so they are fooling no one but themselves. Until the powers that be actually make proper well educated decisions, this country will remain poor, corrupt, crime-riddled, and less desirable to all.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
The parent asked the teacher to have the girl take the test again in her classroom after school. The teacher refused and said that she is failing the girl.
My inner Bronx tells me it's time for a "meet and greet" with the teacher, but I suppose that sort of thing is discouraged nowadays.

Reactions: llapaglia21

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Of course, If you are not teaching the required material and if students are not learning, just dumb down the test and brag about your improved results.

Bob - I never heard that curriculum objectives had been changed due to COVID. Is that true?

Public education is such a disappointment here. I guess the only good thing is that it makes us - the alternative learning options - look even better - sometimes.

Yesterday I was told by a parent that her daughter had been accused of cheating on a math exam because she scored 100%. The girl is in our afterschool math enrichment class. She is one of our top students. The mother was upset, copied the test, and gave it to her daughter to take at home that evening. The girl scored 100% again. The parent asked the teacher to have the girl take the test again in her classroom after school. The teacher refused and said that she is failing the girl.

Too many rotten eggs in education here.
That is horrible. I think the parent needs to take it higher and lodge a complain against the teacher. There has been no change to the curriculum because of covid. The dumbing down of exams happens regularly in the US as well.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The government has no desire to have an educated populace in this country. The wealthy along with the political class prefer things exactly how they are.
Why do you think so of their children are educated overseas?

Factory workers and low paying hospitality jobs in the tourism sector are just fine.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The government has no desire to have an educated populace in this country. The wealthy along with the political class prefer things exactly how they are.
Why do you think so of their children are educated overseas?

Factory workers and low paying hospitality jobs in the tourism sector are just fine.

I think 2 or 3 years ago I would have argued with you on that. But the evidence shows you to be correct.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I think 2 or 3 years ago I would have argued with you on that. But the evidence shows you to be correct.
I would love for them to prove me wrong.
Singapore did it in under 40 years.
South Korea did it in under 50 years.
What's their excuse?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
those cultures are studiers serious work ethic..
I spent several years living in Asia.
This was not the case 40, 50 years ago.
Their governments were the ones who decided to change course. The biggest problem they face now is too many qualified applicants for far to few postions available.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Back on topic, please. No further posts about education and/or emphasis upon in other countries.
Understood.
The message I was trying to convey is with a little know-how and a lot of effort.. it can be done and change many people's lives in the process.

Reactions: bob saunders

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Sounds what they do in many USA school districts. Students not surpassing a benchmark? Lower the standards and watch the miracle. lol

The DR doesn't have to copy the USA on everything. Just saying...

Last edited: