Standardized tests will be easier

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I thought about posting about PISA in my first post. This guarantees dead last in 3/3.

It has crossed my mind several times in the past month that we are in the early stages of the end of public education as we know it in North America. DR included.

It is intentional.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I would like to present another view:

Public education does not matter in the Dominican Republic.
@CristoRey hit a walk off grand slam in Post #8 when he identified why education is not a priority here.
And I agree with him.

The reality is that specialized skills are more important to getting a job here and making a successful financial life than general education is.
Learning English. Basic math. And having a entrepreneurial mindset will take you further if you are young person planning to make their financial life in 🇩🇴

And I rarely agree with the Professor on anything up in here, but what he wrote in Post #11 was spot on. I might even have to give him a like.
Since the Dominican Republic is a different culture.
They are going to have to do things differently in order to make the achievements they have set out to do.

The economy in the 🇩🇴 is booming.
Tough to argue the need to change the status quo.

Respectfully,

Gringo Negro reppin EASTSIDE!!

Aug 21, 2007
I would like to present another view:

Public education does not matter in the Dominican Republic.
@CristoRey hit a walk off grand slam in Post #8 when he identified why education is not a priority here.
And I agree with him.

The reality is that specialized skills are more important to getting a job here and making a successful financial life than general education is.
Learning English. Basic math. And having a entrepreneurial mindset will take you further if you are young person planning to make their financial life in 🇩🇴

And I rarely agree with the Professor on anything up in here, but what he wrote in Post #11 was spot on. I might even have to give him a like.
Since the Dominican Republic is a different culture.
They are going to have to do things differently in order to make the achievements they have set out to do.

The economy in the 🇩🇴 is booming.
Tough to argue the need to change the status quo.

Respectfully,

Like it or not, we now live in a global world, and the current DR President is working hard to be part of it. No one can compete on a global level without the necessary basic education. DR is included.

Secondly, uneducated people cannot make sound political decisions. Their vote is easily swayed with 500 pesos. Corruption will continue.

Finally, as much as we love this precious culture, Dominican children have a right to a sound education that can equal that other children around the world receive. I believe education is the only true path to emerge from poverty.

llapaglia21

Dec 19, 2013
The government has no desire to have an educated populace in this country. The wealthy along with the political class prefer things exactly how they are.
Why do you think so of their children are educated overseas?

Factory workers and low paying hospitality jobs in the tourism sector are just fine.
Very true. This is also the reason why so many expats have their properties up for sale or have sold them and moved out of DR. I have more than 30 friends who have been in DR for a number of years and decided that between the corruption, the lack of respect, the highway robbery with electricity bills, and the rise in costs for mostly everything, they can spend time back in their home country or countries like Belize, the Caymen Islands, etc and be more at peace. We are about ready to leave as well and the sad thing is my husband and his family are Dominican and can't wait to leave. They said they would never return.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Every time an announcement regarding education has been made over the past few years regarding education in the DR has been made, I’ve thought they’ve hit rock bottom.

This announcement on standardized tests is next level and even more intentional than I could have imagined.

It’s only a matter of time before the effects of their decisions go beyond impacting society at large. The negative implications of this downward slide will infiltrate their precious resorts within 2 generations.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Like it or not, we now live in a global world, and the current DR President is working hard to be part of it.
With all due respect...
The current POTDR is not working hard to make the Dominican Republic a part of the global world.
In my opinion and what I see actually having boots on the ground and living and working among Dominicans
Is that the current president is doing his best to make the Dominican Republic appeal to others in the world at his Socio Economic Status level
Between selling the country off to the highest bidders...
Throwing money into tourist development spots...
These are not policies designed to strengthen the Dominican Republic as a whole.

How about starting with keeping the lights on through out the the country by using the renewable energy sources available to the country?
How much productivity is lost because kids cannot study at night "no luz"?💡
How about going hard in the paint on crime by starting with a "no tolerance" policy in the controlling legal authorities who enforce the laws of the country?

The mere fact that the POTDR would allow an educational policy like the one we are discussing to be implemented is prima facie proof of my statements.
What I see is: "Now that I own (oops run) the place, I am going to gussy it up so I can have my friends over".
No one can compete on a global level without the necessary education
I disagree with you.
A farmer in campo can sell into the global markets even if he cannot read if his children or grand children help him do business on the internet.
And every kid that I know can work the internet better than I can.

All anyone has to do is look out into the world and see the changes
To see the new disconnect.
Better figure out how to make your money at home.
One of my favorite bakeries was having problems preparing their best desserts because of global supply chain problems.
They lost of my sale everyday because they had not base ingredients to prepare the treats I liked.
How is education going to help with that?
🤯 wao des b dem hard preguntas
Secondly, uneducated people cannot make sound political decisions. Their vote is easily swayed with 500 pesos. Corruption will continue.
I believe in vote buying. It is a more honest system. Dominican people should group together and tell the politicos that this particular group is going to accept no less than 2000 pesos, plus lunch and transportation. And we are proferring an offer to your opposition and are waiting for their response.🤪
Finally, as much as we love this precious culture, Dominican children have a right to a sound education that can equal that other children around the world receive.
No dog in this fight.
Dominican children deserve no more than their parents choose to provide them just like other children around the world receive.
Maybe stop hanging the financial well being of their children on being MLB players, when you got the NBA, NFL, WNBA, golf, tennis, fútbol and many other sports to choose from?
Maybe the current POTDR can teach financial literacy classes?
I don't know, but is financial education included in these standardized tests?
I believe education is the only true path to emerge from poverty.
⬆️that is straight 💯 unadulterated bull:poop:
But written like a educator (got a love um)

Look at the richest people in the world
Ask about their education backgrounds
This is an exercise left to the reader

Now don't get me wrong. I know people think I am uneducated because I don red o spel 2 gud. But, I had a english tutor who was a retired teacher, my physics teacher who taught me about economics, a badminton coach who taught me the true meaning of sportsmanship, university professors that I looked up to and taught me a lot that made a HUGE difference in my personal development.

But I also had parents that valued education and sacrificed a lot in order to get me a great education. But it had nothing to do with my long term success in life other than to initially get me an job interview because of the name of the university I had on my degree. My real education started when my Dad handed me a duffle bag full of cash, put is boot in my ass and told me to get out of his (expletive deleted) house and go make my own life. I then went hard in the paint and earned my :poop:

In my opinion, educators in general over estimate their importance in life. And that has been my life experience.

Respectfully,

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Every time an announcement regarding education has been made over the past few years regarding education in the DR has been made, I’ve thought they’ve hit rock bottom.

This announcement on standardized tests is next level and even more intentional than I could have imagined.

It’s only a matter of time before the effects of their decisions go beyond impacting society at large. The negative implications of this downward slide will infiltrate their precious resorts within 2 generations.

While I believe you are correct in general, I don't think it's 100%. Look at Luis as a perfect example. Harvard and Dartmouth. I think the elite know the value of an education and will continue to push their kids to excel and get American college degrees. The problem is they won't flow that down to the masses. That is beyond sad.

Reactions: Auryn

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
@NanSanPedro you have just inspired a new project in the Dominican Republic

The International Education Project of the the Dominican Republic (ISPDR)

The ISPDR will send all children of the Dominican Republic to other countries so that all can receive the education that those with high Social Economic Status in the Dominican Republic already receive. If POTDR is preparing the country to compete on the world stage you would think that he would want all citizens to receive the same opportunities he had and the ones that I am sure he is giving his children through education and political patronage.

🤪

The answer to the problems of the Dominican Republic do not lie in the public educational system.
This is the country of "medio culo" trabajo.
And in my book the is worse than the expression "close enough for government work" that we used as a joke in my country of origin.
I just didn't think those attitudes went straight to the top with officials charged with educating the general public.

Aug 21, 2007
With all due respect...
The current POTDR is not working hard to make the Dominican Republic a part of the global world.
In my opinion and what I see actually having boots on the ground and living and working among Dominicans
Is that the current president is doing his best to make the Dominican Republic appeal to others in the world at his Socio Economic Status level
Between selling the country off to the highest bidders...
Throwing money into tourist development spots...
These are not policies designed to strengthen the Dominican Republic as a whole.

How about starting with keeping the lights on through out the the country by using the renewable energy sources available to the country?
How much productivity is lost because kids cannot study at night "no luz"?💡
How about going hard in the paint on crime by starting with a "no tolerance" policy in the controlling legal authorities who enforce the laws of the country?

The mere fact that the POTDR would allow an educational policy like the one we are discussing to be implemented is prima facie proof of my statements.
What I see is: "Now that I own (oops run) the place, I am going to gussy it up so I can have my friends over".

I disagree with you.
A farmer in campo can sell into the global markets even if he cannot read if his children or grand children help him do business on the internet.
And every kid that I know can work the internet better than I can.

All anyone has to do is look out into the world and see the changes
To see the new disconnect.
Better figure out how to make your money at home.
One of my favorite bakeries was having problems preparing their best desserts because of global supply chain problems.
They lost of my sale everyday because they had not base ingredients to prepare the treats I liked.
How is education going to help with that?
🤯 wao des b dem hard preguntas

I believe in vote buying. It is a more honest system. Dominican people should group together and tell the politicos that this particular group is going to accept no less than 2000 pesos, plus lunch and transportation. And we are proferring an offer to your opposition and are waiting for their response.🤪

No dog in this fight.
Dominican children deserve no more than their parents choose to provide them just like other children around the world receive.
Maybe stop hanging the financial well being of their children on being MLB players, when you got the NBA, NFL, WNBA, golf, tennis, fútbol and many other sports to choose from?
Maybe the current POTDR can teach financial literacy classes?
I don't know, but is financial education included in these standardized tests?

⬆️that is straight 💯 unadulterated bull:poop:
But written like a educator (got a love um)

Look at the richest people in the world
Ask about their education backgrounds
This is an exercise left to the reader

Now don't get me wrong. I know people think I am uneducated because I don red o spel 2 gud. But, I had a english tutor who was a retired teacher, my physics teacher who taught me about economics, a badminton coach who taught me the true meaning of sportsmanship, university professors that I looked up to and taught me a lot that made a HUGE difference in my personal development.

But I also had parents that valued education and sacrificed a lot in order to get me a great education. But it had nothing to do with my long term success in life other than to initially get me an job interview because of the name of the university I had on my degree. My real education started when my Dad handed me a duffle bag full of cash, put is boot in my ass and told me to get out of his (expletive deleted) house and go make my own life. I then went hard in the paint and earned my :poop:

In my opinion, educators in general over estimate their importance in life. And that has been my life experience.

Respectfully,

I shared my opinion. And I respect yours. To listen to one another is another way to learn. Always we can learn by exposing ourselves to other perspectives.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Vegas, back off!

As I've told you before, the posturing cuts no ice with me. I mod this forum and I shall not tolerate your nonsense.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I shared my opinion. And I respect yours. To listen to one another is another way to learn. Always we can learn by exposing ourselves to other perspectives.
This is the most intelligent response I have ever received to one of my posts the ENTIRE time I have been a member of DR1‼️

@LindseyKaufman I salute you and applaud your efforts to educate those not as fortunate materially as ourselves. 👏

Respecfully,

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Very true. This is also the reason why so many expats have their properties up for sale or have sold them and moved out of DR. I have more than 30 friends who have been in DR for a number of years and decided that between the corruption, the lack of respect, the highway robbery with electricity bills, and the rise in costs for mostly everything, they can spend time back in their home country or countries like Belize, the Caymen Islands, etc and be more at peace. We are about ready to leave as well and the sad thing is my husband and his family are Dominican and can't wait to leave. They said they would never return.
You do realize that on a global scale Dominican eletricity is not very expensive. My largest bill ever was less than 50 dollars American.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
@NanSanPedro you have just inspired a new project in the Dominican Republic

The International Education Project of the the Dominican Republic (ISPDR)

The ISPDR will send all children of the Dominican Republic to other countries so that all can receive the education that those with high Social Economic Status in the Dominican Republic already receive. If POTDR is preparing the country to compete on the world stage you would think that he would want all citizens to receive the same opportunities he had and the ones that I am sure he is giving his children through education and political patronage.

🤪

The answer to the problems of the Dominican Republic do not lie in the public educational system.
This is the country of "medio culo" trabajo.
And in my book the is worse than the expression "close enough for government work" that we used as a joke in my country of origin.
I just didn't think those attitudes went straight to the top with officials charged with educating the general public.
The public education system, because of the numbers of children involved and the level of income of the parents, has to be the main player in at least establishing a basic primary education. What is really discouraging is that 50 years ago the basic education with no advanced technology was better than the current product.

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
This is the most intelligent response I have ever received to one of my posts the ENTIRE time I have been a member of DR1‼️

@LindseyKaufman I salute you and applaud your efforts to educate those not as fortunate materially as ourselves. 👏

Respecfully,
This seems a good time to suggest that there is no one posting here that cannot afford to make a reoccurring donation to "Strength for the Journey"!

I have been donating for a long time, intend to continue forever, and may well increase my amount given. It's the best cause in the DR that I've ever found and I've looked LOL

Please put any differences, anger, frustration, aside and do something positive and great for the future of the children who benefit. It's win-win for everyone...and a registered charity!

D'Arcy (Apostropheman)

Karma, it's worth waiting for ;)
Apr 10, 2022
Here and there
This seems a good time to suggest that there is no one posting here that cannot afford to make a reoccurring donation to "Strength for the Journey"!

I have been donating for a long time, intend to continue forever, and may well increase my amount given. It's the best cause in the DR that I've ever found and I've looked LOL

Please put any differences, anger, frustration, aside and do something positive and great for the future of the children who benefit. It's win-win for everyone...and a registered charity!

Reactions: LindseyKaufman
Aug 21, 2007

Thank you again, and again for your ongoing support, D'Arcy. Every donation counts.

I work as a full time volunteer (unpaid) director/teacher. I have a masters degree in global education and started a private school in Ghana with 8 children. It now has 800. My point is not self promotion. I don't need that. Instead I am telling you this as a reflection of my commitment to the children of the Dominican Republic and my dedication to education.

We have had some great support from dr1 members and would love more dr1 members to support us. I welcome you to come visit and see what we do.

However, I believe each person is entitled to support his/her own favorite cause. What ultimately is important is that each of us reach out a hand to help someone else. That makes our life worthwhile.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Very true. This is also the reason why so many expats have their properties up for sale or have sold them and moved out of DR. I have more than 30 friends who have been in DR for a number of years and decided that between the corruption, the lack of respect, the highway robbery with electricity bills, and the rise in costs for mostly everything, they can spend time back in their home country or countries like Belize, the Caymen Islands, etc and be more at peace.
Anyone complaining about the price of electricity here in the DR is going to have a tough time adjusting to the cost of living in the Caymen Islands.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
While I believe you are correct in general, I don't think it's 100%. Look at Luis as a perfect example. Harvard and Dartmouth. I think the elite know the value of an education and will continue to push their kids to excel and get American college degrees. The problem is they won't flow that down to the masses. That is beyond sad.
Be careful not to fall into that trap, as the majority of Dominicans do.

2- to 6-weeks-long certificates from Harvard and Dartmouth, or from any US school, are available to folks willing to pay for them, and Abinader is rico de cuna.

Consider:
Finance for Senior Executives, 2-weeks-long, US$13,250

Get the HBS certificate, attach it to your CV, AND BOOM! Abinader attended Harvard. Dude must be sharp. And Dominicans, most of whom are easily impressed, fail to exercise a less-than-minimum modicum of curiosity.

Case in point:
INTEC students competed in one of 8 NASA Human Exploration Rover Challenge.
INTEC shared a 1st prize with students from a Tennessee high school (2021), and an India high school (2022), but the Dominican press bragged about it in incredible terms:

"INTEC students win the NASA competition"

Communicators and educators even suggested the government should pay for these students' PhDs, as "they elevated to the D.R. to stratospheric levels."
One well-known communicator went as far as saying that the INTEC team beat all those US schools, such as MIT, Stamford, Harvard, etc...

Not EVEN close.

Reactions: NanSanPedro