starbucks coming to DR

R

RockyM

I am a self proclaimed coffee snob. I like the really dark bitter coffee, normally French Roast. Once we permanently land in RD next year I will need a source for my morning obsession. Not sure if the grocery store stuff will do.

RockyM - bringing first world problems to the third world ;0)

G

Garyexpat

MAYBE if you drink it with sugar and milk it tastes ok but for me, I drink my coffee black, no sugar their coffee is bitter. When in the states I prefer Dunkin Donuts coffee by a long shot.

B

Big

MAYBE if you drink it with sugar and milk it tastes ok but for me, I drink my coffee black, no sugar their coffee is bitter. When in the states I prefer Dunkin Donuts coffee by a long shot.

D&D is the best. I would like that coffee and then sit in the velvet chairs at Starbucks.

K

Kip

Same here. We always mule DD coffee back when we visit the US, and have all our visitors carry it down as well.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

G

Garyexpat

Same here. We always mule DD coffee back when we visit the US, and have all our visitors carry it down as well.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

I have to remember to do that the next time over. Good thinking.

C

chico bill

Some of the best coffee I've ever had was the Monte Alto special stuff I used to get from my good friend in Jarabacoa (I can't believe I don't remember the name of that coffee!)

I've been buying Cafe Caracolillo by Cafe Santo Domingo the last few months. Good enough for me.

Does anyone here realize how many brands of coffee Induban (Cafe Santo Domingo) produces? Eight different brands!
I'm trying to determine the meaning of Caracolillo. Anyone know

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

T

tee

Since buying my Keurig coffee machine that uses the pods I have been buying so many different types of coffee pods online, always the mixed boxes and are between 80-100 pods for around U$30 I don't drink coffee anywhere else. There are so many brands to choose from you never get tired of them...and the coffee is ready in less than 2 minutes. Including the shipping each cup of coffee costs less than 50 cents. After drinking percolated Santo Domingo brand coffee for the last 15 years, this makes a really nice change! Don't get me wrong though, Dominican coffee is still one of the best.

A

AlterEgo

Since buying my Keurig coffee machine that uses the pods I have been buying so many different types of coffee pods online, always the mixed boxes and are between 80-100 pods for around U$30 I don't drink coffee anywhere else. There are so many brands to choose from you never get tired of them...and the coffee is ready in less than 2 minutes. Including the shipping each cup of coffee costs less than 50 cents. After drinking percolated Santo Domingo brand coffee for the last 15 years, this makes a really nice change! Don't get me wrong though, Dominican coffee is still one of the best.

Have you tried using the refillable plastic pods with local coffee?

T

tee

Have you tried using the refillable plastic pods with local coffee?

Yes, I use the refillable pods with Santo Domingo brand coffee too but I actually prefer using the percolator for that. The percolator runs hotter so you get a better cup of coffee than using the refillable pod. I am guessing the granules in the pre filled pods are a little different to the Santo Domingo ground coffee.

K

KyleMackey

In Santo Domingo there are plenty of Dominicans who would pay 6 bucks for a cup and coffee and not even think twice about it. Starbucks will just be another place to be seen in SD.
Is that how much a cup of coffee is there? Last one I went to a medium cup of coffee was $2 bucks. Was a few years ago.

C

cobraboy

Yes, I use the refillable pods with Santo Domingo brand coffee too but I actually prefer using the percolator for that. The percolator runs hotter so you get a better cup of coffee than using the refillable pod. I am guessing the granules in the pre filled pods are a little different to the Santo Domingo ground coffee.
The percolator works best because of the coarser grind of the coffee, kinda running hot water and coffee over it repeatedly.

Think about re-grinding the coffee into a finer powder, THEN put into those "pods."

I have noticed Dominican coffees are a coarser grind than many US offerings.

I re-grind Dominican coffee for a more robust drip coffee.

BTW: I may have 100lbs of Olivo coffee. The plantation is producing again.

A

AlterEgo

G

Be still my heart.......

The best coffee I’ve ever had in DR was made by Mr AE’s mother. Campo style, no greca for her. Regular Santo Domingo coffee. She boiled it on the stove , with sugar, in a large metal cup. Then she filtered it through what I called “the sock”, which was a long cotton filter she sewed herself onto the frame of a small strainer, which sat on a metal frame. She had two steel cups, and she caught the filtered coffee in one, then switched and ran the coffee/sugar mix through the sock again. Always perfect.

J

JDJones

G

Be still my heart.......

The best coffee I’ve ever had in DR was made by Mr AE’s mother. Campo style, no greca for her. Regular Santo Domingo coffee. She boiled it on the stove , with sugar, in a large metal cup. Then she filtered it through what I called “the sock”, which was a long cotton filter she sewed herself onto the frame of a small strainer, which sat on a metal frame. She had two steel cups, and she caught the filtered coffee in one, then switched and ran the coffee/sugar mix through the sock again. Always perfect.

I've got one of those. Best way to make coffee.

CB, I hope you don't mind if I start calling you every..... oh.......30 minutes or so. lol

J

JDJones

I'm trying to determine the meaning of Caracolillo. Anyone know

Caracolillo is the Spanish word for peaberry coffee.

It means "snail" in Spanish and refers to the distinct small, round shape of the beans (like a snail's shell)

C

chico bill

The percolator works best because of the coarser grind of the coffee, kinda running hot water and coffee over it repeatedly.

Think about re-grinding the coffee into a finer powder, THEN put into those "pods."

I have noticed Dominican coffees are a coarser grind than many US offerings.

I re-grind Dominican coffee for a more robust drip coffee.

Wouldn't it make more since to buy the whole bean than regrind molido ? I think the flavor would be better

C

Cortez

I'm still saying prayers for a McDonalds and Krispy Kreme on the North Coast - Puerto Plata, Sosua or Cabarete

...Bill wow Krispy Creme you are hard core...that goes right to plaque in your veins.....about the coffee, not saying starbucks wont work here but their coffee in the USA where I am from is sub standard...in the small town in Colorado I came from out of 3 coffee places...starbucks last then caribou ,,...then the best one that is really going strong.. Dunn brothers........

C

chico bill

...Bill wow Krispy Creme you are hard core...that goes right to plaque in your veins.....about the coffee, not saying starbucks wont work here but their coffee in the USA where I am from is sub standard...in the small town in Colorado I came from out of 3 coffee places...starbucks last then caribou ,,...then the best one that is really going strong.. Dunn brothers........
Dutch Brothers (drive-thru only) make way better coffee than Starbucks as does McDonalds and Dunkinv Donuts.
As far as Krispy Kreme clogging my arteries - I only go to Santo Domingo for a couple days per year so a dozen won't kill me.

J

jeb321

Some of the best coffee I've ever had was the Monte Alto special stuff I used to get from my good friend in Jarabacoa (I can't believe I don't remember the name of that coffee!)

I've been buying Cafe Caracolillo by Cafe Santo Domingo the last few months. Good enough for me.

Does anyone here realize how many brands of coffee Induban (Cafe Santo Domingo) produces? Eight different brands!

Can't help it... Cafe Santo Domingo? Uh huh. It is stuffed with fillers. Sad! Drink Bustelo.