starbucks coming to DR

B

Big

Mohawk-Man-Bun.jpg

lol classic ,and he's wearing a keffiyeh scarf as well

R

RDKNIGHT

I'll stick with my Santo Domigo Coffee at 80 peso's....they should put the starbucks in dirt hole Sosua .....

B

Big

I'll stick with my Santo Domigo Coffee at 80 peso's....they should put the starbucks in dirt hole Sosua .....

lol, Sir Knight, Sosua aint that bad, just as long as you get in and out before 1000p.m when the zombies come out. As far as Starbucks, totally agree,. there are several spots on P.C where you can partake in an nice Dominican espresso and watch the sights, only prob the caffeine jolt will keep you up.

R

RDKNIGHT

lol, Sir Knight, Sosua aint that bad, just as long as you get in and out before 1000p.m when the zombies come out. As far as Starbucks, totally agree,. there are several spots on P.C where you can partake in an nice Dominican espresso and watch the sights, only prob the caffeine jolt will keep you up.

Yes Sir downtown mall sit inside and watch all the ladies walk back and forth to jumbo.... also San Juan plaza only thing it's outside........las lenas is nice for the starbuck feel.....

O

ohmmmm

Santo Domingo does not seem like a nice Caribbean Island experience... just another city. So Starbucks would fit right in with the cars, pollution and hectic city life... I will visit Starbucks Santo Domingo...

D

Dr_Taylor

Santo Domingo does not seem like a nice Caribbean Island experience... just another city. So Starbucks would fit right in with the cars, pollution and hectic city life... I will visit Starbucks Santo Domingo...

I agree. I am certain that the bathrooms will be clean.

J

JDJones

Starbucks wont live in DR, eventually.

I wouldn't bet on it with the financial backing and connections they've got.

Caribbean Cinemas owns Downtown Center for one, and they could install one there and leave it there forever.

C

chico bill

I found Induban Gormet molido Sunday at Jumbo. Gonna give that a try next.

Also grabbed a Monte Alto. Good stuff.

Monte Alto had the least flavor of any coffee I tried in DR yet. Did I get a bad bag ?

J

JDJones

Monte Alto had the least flavor of any coffee I tried in DR yet. Did I get a bad bag ?

Everyone's tastes are different.

I make mine a little on the strong side (as big a heaping tablespoon as I can manage for each cup in my coffee maker)

B

bigbird

I believe they will survive, especially in one of the better malls in SD Centro. Certainly not in Plaza Central or Mega Centro.

One of the newer malls with seating in front of main store where one sipping there can be better seen by those walking by.

It is not always how good the coffee is but sometimes how nice is the atmosphere. Just look at how much coffee Cafe Santo Domingo in Agora Mall sells compared to Krispy Kreme. They both taste the same. Cafe Santo Domingo is like 40 pesos more a cup but if you just want to sit and have a relaxing time it is the "place to be seen".

A

AlterEgo

it´s all bad. fillers. I drink Bustelo. Classic, old world Cuban style. The best

Buy beans and grind them yourself, or buy a machine like we have that automatically grinds them and makes espresso. Saeco. No fillers.

My suegra used to swear there were ground up guandules in Cafe Santo Domingo molido. :)

E

El Rey de Mangu

Buy beans and grind them yourself, or buy a machine like we have that automatically grinds them and makes espresso. Saeco. No fillers.

My suegra used to swear there were ground up guandules in Cafe Santo Domingo molido. :)

actually, yes. Very good. lots of work though, the toasting, grinding. I guess if I had a machine for it that would be the way to go.

It's actually part of the corn husk I think that goes into the grinds mixure for those commercial brands - so your mother in law was close

E

El Rey de Mangu

It absolutely will , in Santo Domingo. All the yuppie Dominicans who shop at Agora and eat sushi and at the 200/meal steakhouses will love it. Anything for another status notch in the belt. Sorry MiamiDRGuy

A

AlterEgo

actually, yes. Very good. lots of work though, the toasting, grinding. I guess if I had a machine for it that would be the way to go.

It's actually part of the corn husk I think that goes into the grinds mixure for those commercial brands - so your mother in law was close

No roasting, they’re ready out of the bag. You can buy a cheap electric grinder for $10, or a nice burr grinder (we have a Cuisinart in DR) for under $50. We buy the beans in supermarkets all over DR, from Cobraboy (the best!) when he has them, and from a Santiago wholesaler when we’re flying to the states (20 pound minimum).

N

NanSanPedro

Everyone's tastes are different.

I make mine a little on the strong side (as big a heaping tablespoon as I can manage for each cup in my coffee maker)

Without regard to price, what do you like the best?

C

cobraboy

it´s all bad. fillers. I drink Bustelo. Classic, old world Cuban style. The best
I know the Monte Alto folks very well. They will also roast the beans from my wife's family coffee plantation.

There are no fillers in Monte Alto. The raw beans are very high quality and 90% is for the lucky export market.

With a medium roast the coffee is low acidic and medium caffeine.

What people usually describe as "taste" are poorer quality beans in a dark roast that increases the acidity and burnt flavors, as well as an increase in caffeine. Some like coffee like that.

Different strokes.

When we don't have Olivo beans---the plantation took a serious whack with the rust and is just now coming back---we drink a Santiago brand only found in National called Maroma. Their vanilla, if the store has it, is yummy. The regular is very, very smooth.

E

El Rey de Mangu

I know the Monte Alto folks very well. They will also roast the beans from my wife's family coffee plantation.

There are no fillers in Monte Alto. The raw beans are very high quality and 90% is for the lucky export market.

With a medium roast the coffee is low acidic and medium caffeine.

What people usually describe as "taste" are poorer quality beans in a dark roast that increases the acidity and burnt flavors, as well as an increase in caffeine. Some like coffee like that.

Different strokes.

When we don't have Olivo beans---the plantation took a serious whack with the rust and is just now coming back---we drink a Santiago brand only found in National called Maroma. Their vanilla, if the store has it, is yummy. The regular is very, very smooth.

good to know and appreciated. where are you located. AE mentioned she gets bean from you.