Starbucks in the DR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The photo was very recently taken at the Downtown plaza in Santo Domingo. The very first one of several in the country. Expect this to be the next "epidemic" after the pandemic.

B2-A9542-B-DCC7-487-C-8-BF0-0-B42-AC2-D7-D9-B.jpg

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
That's like borrowing a watch to tell the owner what time it is.
Why would a country which grows its own coffee allow a shop like this?
That would only make sense if there would be a Dominican coffee shop chain in the US. We would speak of cultural exchange then.

I love Azua

Dec 3, 2011
If your going to the Downtown Plaza, go to Breve Cafe under the escaltors not Starbutts.Great coffee and half the price of Starbutts. I go there 3 or 4 times a week as it is 4 blocks from my apartment. Great desserts and gelatto too!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Hey everyone should forget that their coffee is too expensive, they do make a 'decent' product.

But celebrate that a corporation sees the DR as a place to invest for the future, it is a sign that, at least in Santo Domingo, a corporation views it as worthy of investment.
Let's see if it actually is worth it for them.

Reactions: rfp

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
$30 Billion in annual revs on a bad product. Coffee no less. $30 Billion on COFFEE per annum.

What a clown show this thread is.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Am I the only person here who likes Starbucks coffee? We buy their whole bean espresso for our machine from time to time, it’s my favorite (Mr AE prefers Lavazza)

Reactions: waytogo

pokerplayer

Mar 22, 2020
Am I the only person here who likes Starbucks coffee? We buy their whole bean espresso for our machine from time to time, it’s my favorite (Mr AE prefers Lavazza)
No doubt it's a good product that is enjoyed by many. Sure it's not everybody's taste but a tall Pikes Place or Sumatra is a pretty damn good cup o' joe. Throw in some half and half and hippie sugar and hit the road.

Some people take issue with it because of the "liberalism" of the corporate culture. Others don't like it simply because it's a chain that squeezes out the small fry. They are costly though and I've heard people say they should change their name to "fourbucks". I can buy a 12oz bag of quality Sumatran coffee at Aldi's for the price of one cup there.

I'm not going to go there while I'm in the DR though as there are too many other good local options.

• Love
Reactions: bienamor

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
lol

Well, someone needs to like them. They are still in business, soon in the DR too. Nothing says it more clearly that it is what people want than offering it for a price and having lots of money in the bank due to that. The best vote people make is with their money.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
lol

Well, someone needs to like them. They are still in business, soon in the DR too. Nothing says it more clearly that it is what people want than offering it for a price and having lots of money in the bank due to that. The best vote people make is with their money.
I like a rich bold coffee taste, which is what attracts me to Starbucks, and I’m a coffee person (coffee ice cream, coffee candies, coffee yogurt, you get the idea). Some people say Starbucks coffee tastes burned, I guess that’s what makes horse races.

Sep 22, 2009
I like their dark roast. But $3 for one cup is not gonna happen unless it's an emergency. And yes, there is such a thing as a coffee emergency!
Does anyone know the price points? I used for pay 4.50 for a Grande Moca. I can't imagine 250-300 pesos for a coffee. I really am very happy with my cafe Bustelo.