STARLINK Funtionality After Hurricane Fiona

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Does anybody have Starlink in Samana? Or anywhere on the east of the island that got hammered by Hurricane Fiona?
We're told Telenord won't have the internet repaired for a couple of months in Las Terrenas.

I'm wondering if it's time to switch to STARLINK once and for all!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just out of curiosity, why do you think Starlink service would be affected by a hurricane?

Reactions: Billp16

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I posed your question on Google and this is the response:

Can Starlink dish handle high winds?

The Starlink dish (i.e., the user terminals) has “self-hearing capabilities” for melting snow & ice, and “is certified to operate” between positive 40 to negative 30 degrees Celsius. The Starlink dish “is not designed for tropical storms,” so “for high wind events” users should “bring the dish inside.”

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
I posed your question on Google and this is the response:

Can Starlink dish handle high winds?

The Starlink dish (i.e., the user terminals) has “self-hearing capabilities” for melting snow & ice, and “is certified to operate” between positive 40 to negative 30 degrees Celsius. The Starlink dish “is not designed for tropical storms,” so “for high wind events” users should “bring the dish inside.”

I guess that means removing the dish from a roof and bringing indoors....I guess like solar panels....
Wonder how re-enabling the system works after the process is reversed?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My guess would be that as soon as it's safe to put your dish outside and looking at the sky, you have internet. A hurricane won't affect the satellites in space.

The dishes steer themselves. So when a storm comes, bring your dish indoors. Once it's passed, put it back and it will align itself. But they need a clear view of the sky to work.

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If Starlink works in the DR, getting that service now will work anywhere in the DR that meets their requirements.
As others pointed out, take the dish to a safe area during a tropical storm or hurricane.
I avoided the south and east of the DR for the very reasons the original question was asked.

Hopefully services will be restored quicker than months, that sucks for those that live there.

drisforme

May 28, 2016
I live in Cabarete.I did have a couple of short interruptions with Starlink during the storm .Delancer ,our local internet provider was down for 2 days from the storm......

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Those who have Starlink installed, please tell me where you are located and what speeds you are getting. at this moment I am getting 20 MBps download and 24 MBps upload in the town of Cabrera.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
In cabrera, I left my Starlink dish up on the roof during Fiona. Had internet all during the storm,till the batteries faded after 12 hours. Of course we didn’t get what Samana got, but next incoming storm we will bring it down. Some of us learn slowly!

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
I have three quick questions for those with Starlink setups.

1. Where do the setups ship from?

2. How did you receive your set up. My address is rural, deep campo. I am concerned on how to actually receive the equipment.

3. Did you have to pay aduanas import tax on top of the 27,000 DOP equipment fee?

Thanks in Advance

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I have three quick questions for those with Starlink setups.

1. Where do the setups ship from?

2. How did you receive your set up. My address is rural, deep campo. I am concerned on how to actually receive the equipment.

3. Did you have to pay aduanas import tax on top of the 27,000 DOP equipment fee?

Thanks in Advance
1. I think mine shipped from Cincinnati OH.
2. Many people had difficulty entering their address. Maybe it was because their computer system could not recognize it. If you have an address deep in the Campo you might want to find someone in a city with a real address. I had mine shipped to Santo Domingo even though the ultimate destination is Samaná
3 whatever Starlink charged me was the final cost. I did not have to pay additional fees on top of that when the dish arrived

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
How fast is Starlink internet Dominican Republic?
250Mb/s - Is this about right?

the price to be paid monthly for the service will be RD$2,900. - is this right?

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
1. I think mine shipped from Cincinnati OH.
2. Many people had difficulty entering their address. Maybe it was because their computer system could not recognize it. If you have an address deep in the Campo you might want to find someone in a city with a real address. I had mine shipped to Santo Domingo even though the ultimate destination is Samaná
3 whatever Starlink charged me was the final cost. I did not have to pay additional fees on top of that when the dish arrived
Thank you for the info. I will give it a try. I am just worried about the aduanas charging an arm and a leg to get the unit in the country.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
I'm having trouble ordering starlink - anyone else having trouble and found a solution???????? thanks

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I'm having trouble ordering starlink - anyone else having trouble and found a solution???????? thanks
There is another Starlink thread with a lot of trouble shooting tips. We all had similar problems. Maybe something in there will help you.