STARLINK is getting closer......

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I hear you. I made the decision to move to San Cristobal based on the confirmation of the availability of both paired lines and Fiber Optic service by the local CLARO office.

I never expected that I would not have access even though both pass in front of my home.

Starlink can't come soon enough.
CLARO ran Fiber Optic Cables by our development back when they were previously called CLARO (CLARO then Verizon and now CLARO again) . Still no fiber access in our development. They are one stupid company. They are a horrible company to interact with about almost anything. It is just like they are run by the government. Fortunately, there is competition that is better than them. Would I go with Starlink? Maybe.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You might want to read the faq. The satellite recievers are geo boxed into cells. If you take it out of the cell, it wont work. They say its not intentional.
I decided to cancel my order since it won't do me any good to keep it on record. I'll just keep checking in every couple of weeks or so until my area is available.
Thanks again for the heads up.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
CLARO ran Fiber Optic Cables by our development back when they were previously called CLARO (CLARO then Verizon and now CLARO again) . Still no fiber access in our development. They are one stupid company. They are a horrible company to interact with about almost anything. It is just like they are run by the government. Fortunately, there is competition that is better than them. Would I go with Starlink? Maybe.
I can literally walk out my front door and see the FO line. Bastids!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I decided to cancel my order since it won't do me any good to keep it on record. I'll just keep checking in every couple of weeks or so until my area is available.
Thanks again for the heads up.
Help me understand. If you buy one set for San Cristobal, and move to Bayahibe (for example), it won’t work there and you have to buy a whole new setup?

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Claro Fiber Optic works perfectly in Santo Domingo. I have 100 mbps down/50 mbps up, and it's really 100 and 50 with very low ping and very low latency.

They say that they have Fiber Optic in Bavaro and Cap Cana area. Do they have it in areas like Cocotal? Somebody can comment on their Fiber Optic speed in Bavaro/Punta Cana area?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Help me understand. If you buy one set for San Cristobal, and move to Bayahibe (for example), it won’t work there and you have to buy a whole new setup?
I'm not sure. If I understand correctly, each satellite sends it signal to specific cells (areas) and persons living in those areas are combined with the satellite sending the signals. If you move outside of that area your equipment wouldn't function.

I would imagine once they get the entire satellite grid set up, it will be a matter of them moving you from one satellite and changing you to the one over your new area.

Part of the reason behind that is the dish you buy isn't static, it can move to perfectly align with the satellite. I'm guessing it has to be reprogrammed if you move.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlterEgo

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I'm not sure. If I understand correctly, each satellite sends it signal to specific cells (areas) and persons living in those areas are combined with the satellite sending the signals. If you move outside of that area your equipment wouldn't function.

I would imagine once they get the entire satellite grid set up, it will be a matter of them moving you from one satellite and changing you to the one over your new area.

Part of the reason behind that is the dish you buy isn't static, it can move to perfectly align with the satellite. I'm guessing it has to be reprogrammed if you move.

I've been researching Starlink, and it looks like I'm stuck with my Iridium system for the near future. I pay 150.00 for 75 minutes of air time good for 30 days and 215.00 if I want my minutes for 60 day's.. Of course, I also had to buy the hardware that makes things work which wasn't cheap.. It's good world wide and is a must have when we're making a long passage, and I do like that I don't have to pay every month because I own the hardware. I just have to top up my SIM

I'm wondering why SpaceX doesn't network with the communication satellites that are already up there to increase their coverage. I guess ol Elon is the only one who knows the overall plan.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I've been researching Starlink, and it looks like I'm stuck with my Iridium system for the near future. I pay 150.00 for 75 minutes of air time good for 30 days and 215.00 if I want my minutes for 60 day's.. Of course, I also had to buy the hardware that makes things work which wasn't cheap.. It's good world wide and is a must have when we're making a long passage, and I do like that I don't have to pay every month because I own the hardware. I just have to top up my SIM

I'm wondering why SpaceX doesn't network with the communication satellites that are already up there to increase their coverage. I guess ol Elon is the only one who knows the overall plan.

There are not many satellites in the sky yet, but the final number will be somewhere around 40K satellites. The systems they are selling now are going to specific locations.

I'd find it hard to believe once the entire system is populated, you will be able to connect no matter where you are and your dish will point the satellite with the strongest signal.

They are supposed to have total coverage by the end of 2021, and the entire system up after another year or so.

Reactions: jstarebel

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Just started to read this thread. Can anyone comment on the effect of the technology on IP restrictions on
Viewing restricted sites?

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
.... to connect no matter where you are and your dish will point the satellite ...
Is there a dish with Starlink? I mean the dish type of antenna that has to be pointed to the satellite in case of traditional systems? Correct me if I am wrong, but I was thinking that the whole idea of this low–orbiting satellite network is that your antenna is not a dish type and it does not have to be pointed to any satellite at all. It has to self–orientate to optimal position, but not to any particular satellite, as they are moving too fast and too close to the earth. It still can be a round-shaped antenna, but not for the purpose to work as a traditional dish antenna.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Watching the Starlink mission #5 now.. This mission will put the total Starlink satellites at 1,204 total.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Is there a dish with Starlink? I mean the dish type of antenna that has to be pointed to the satellite in case of traditional systems? Correct me if I am wrong, but I was thinking that the whole idea of this low–orbiting satellite network is that your antenna is not a dish type and it does not have to be pointed to any satellite at all. It has to self–orientate to optimal position, but not to any particular satellite, as they are moving too fast and too close to the earth. It still can be a round-shaped antenna, but not for the purpose to work as a traditional dish antenna.
It's a motorized self-aligning dish.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
From Starlink FAQ

Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.

I signed up this morning and paid my $99 deposit. Expected service coverage - in 2022. Only 1 year wait, better than 10 year wait for Claro.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
From Starlink FAQ

Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.

I signed up this morning and paid my $99 deposit. Expected service coverage - in 2022. Only 1 year wait, better than 10 year wait for Claro.

Seems like Claro is centered on deploying 5G in the DR and removing residential services from terrestrial feeds. That will save them a wad of cash in payments to the local city and gov for ground usage/posts. Since they already pay the fees for their cell antennas, deploying ultrafast speeds on it will consolidate expenses and recover the initial investments on 5G upgrades.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Seems like Claro is centered on deploying 5G in the DR and removing residential services from terrestrial feeds. That will save them a wad of cash in payments to the local city and gov for ground usage/posts. Since they already pay the fees for their cell antennas, deploying ultrafast speeds on it will consolidate expenses and recover the initial investments on 5G upgrades.
As far as I'm concerned they better do it pretty quick or I'll be gone as soon as I can get my hands on the Starlink setup.

Then again, 5G will only get you to 10 Mbps under ideal conditions. The speeds Starlink customers are reporting are 10-15 times faster, and in some cases up to 200 Mbps.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
It's always interesting to see folks posting their speeds on the Starlink Twitter account, and Elon himself responding to them:

Starlink.jpg