STARLINK is getting closer......

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wasn’t aware of starlink until JD started this thread. Last week there was a long article about it here in NJ as an alternative to the hated Comcast. I wonder what the equipment entails? Other than the dish, I’ve got visions in my head of getting it for here, then bringing the hardware on the plane with me to DR when we come for 4 months. We already have 2 dishes on our house in DR. I’m probably simplifying it too much.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I wasn’t aware of starlink until JD started this thread. Last week there was a long article about it here in NJ as an alternative to the hated Comcast. I wonder what the equipment entails? Other than the dish, I’ve got visions in my head of getting it for here, then bringing the hardware on the plane with me to DR when we come for 4 months. We already have 2 dishes on our house in DR. I’m probably simplifying it too much.
You may want to log onto the Starlink webside and see if you can place an order. The northern U.S. states are the ones getting it first.

It's probably available for you in Jersey now, but won't be operational in the DR until the end of this year. So if you were to bring it down, it probably wouldn't connect.

The whole setup comes in a box which you then assemble and it automatically orients itself to get the strongest signal.

The box costs $499 and then $90 and change a month afterward.

I've been following the Starlink sub on Reddit, and quite a few users are saying the router is the weakest link of the setup. Most are buying a higher quality router and using that instead.

I just paid my $99 pre order deposit. I tried first with my San Cristobal location and they didn't accept it, but the second time I used a pre existing Bonao address and that was accepted.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

For that price I'm in. (for English version click top right)
We as cruisers are really looking forward to this.. Right now, Satellite is really expensive and we only use it for weather updates during long passages and extreme emergencies,, We mainly use data sims on a dongle for internet.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
We as cruisers are really looking forward to this.. Right now, Satellite is really expensive and we only use it for weather updates during long passages and extreme emergencies,, We mainly use data sims on a dongle for internet.
I hear you. I made the decision to move to San Cristobal based on the confirmation of the availability of both paired lines and Fiber Optic service by the local CLARO office.

I never expected that I would not have access even though both pass in front of my home.

Starlink can't come soon enough.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
One night last fall we sat outside watching what seemed like hundreds of satellites continuously move in a straight line and off into the distance overhead. It was part of a StarLink launch.
We’re in a hole where we live and can’t access more than 2Mbps. I signed up for StarLink as soon as I heard it was possible for my area.

TommyJo

Feb 11, 2021
United Kingdom
I wonder what will happen to Starlink's theoretical competitors. OneWeb and Sphere are also working on global satellite internet projects. Can it be considered competitors at all (at least future ones)?
China is actively testing 6g satellites. Could it be that 6g becomes a more serious alternative?

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
You may want to log onto the Starlink webside and see if you can place an order. The northern U.S. states are the ones getting it first.

It's probably available for you in Jersey now, but won't be operational in the DR until the end of this year. So if you were to bring it down, it probably wouldn't connect.

The whole setup comes in a box which you then assemble and it automatically orients itself to get the strongest signal.

The box costs $499 and then $90 and change a month afterward.

I've been following the Starlink sub on Reddit, and quite a few users are saying the router is the weakest link of the setup. Most are buying a higher quality router and using that instead.

I just paid my $99 pre order deposit. I tried first with my San Cristobal location and they didn't accept it, but the second time I used a pre existing Bonao address and that was accepted.
You might want to read the faq. The satellite recievers are geo boxed into cells. If you take it out of the cell, it wont work. They say its not intentional.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I wonder what will happen to Starlink's theoretical competitors. OneWeb and Sphere are also working on global satellite internet projects. Can it be considered competitors at all (at least future ones)?
China is actively testing 6g satellites. Could it be that 6g becomes a more serious alternative?
Amazon will be there biggest threat. They all ready fighting because Starlink wants to raise their satellites into Amazon's constellation. (Amazon hasnt launched but they have orbits reserved. Google Project Kuiper

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Amazon will be there biggest threat. They all ready fighting because Starlink wants to raise their satellites into Amazon's constellation. (Amazon hasnt launched but they have orbits reserved. Google Project Kuiper
Space reserved in Space. Let the Space Wars begin.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Straight to JD Jones' apartamento.

1614361017232.png

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Space reserved in Space. Let the Space Wars begin.
Yep. they call them constellations. Starlink forced Kuiper to take a different altitude because the objected to FCC. The Starlink wanted to move closer to kuiper and then Amazon objected to FCC. LOL

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
JD, I was buying a new iPhone a few days ago at a TMobile store, and I had to wait my turn. The guy ahead of me said he just bought a new car, I forget the make, but it came with Starlink! He was there because his phone wasn’t compatible with it and he had to upgrade. Made me think of this thread......didn’t realize it came in cars too!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I received an email from Starlink yesterday inviting me to reserve my place. I entered my location as Cabarete and it resolved the location to Cabarete, Santo Domingo Este. Close enough I guess. Anyway the website said that service will be available in that area in 2022.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
JD, I was buying a new iPhone a few days ago at a TMobile store, and I had to wait my turn. The guy ahead of me said he just bought a new car, I forget the make, but it came with Starlink! He was there because his phone wasn’t compatible with it and he had to upgrade. Made me think of this thread......didn’t realize it came in cars too!
Are you sure he didn't mean "Homelink"? That's a feature available in cars

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
You might want to read the faq. The satellite recievers are geo boxed into cells. If you take it out of the cell, it wont work. They say its not intentional.
I didn't catch that. Thanks. In any case I can always do another "reservation" once my area is available and get my money back for the other.

I'll let you know when that happens.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Make sure to wear your foil hat to keep you safe from the falling satellites..
Visions of John Belushi on one of the funniest SNL skits ever when SkyLab was falling. Back when SNL was actually funny and not idiotic.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

STARLINK is getting closer......​

And so are the rsing sea levels from global warming. which will happen faster