Started sponsorship to Canada for my wife....Carlos process from start to finish

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
thanks. I did the same for everyone here. Things will go well for everybody. I am sorry about your situation MBG but I am sure that when you reapply they will have no choice but to give it to you ASAP. because there wont be any reasons they can use to refuse your case

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Carlos - awesome news!!! I am soooo happy to hear that!! Our cases were very close at the beginning for timelines and I have been waiting for you to get good news finally!! I am so sorry you had to wait this long but it will all be worth it very soon!!

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hi Carlos!

Thanks for your words!

Again, I 'm truly happy for you! At least, your news put a smile on my face!

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
flight help for first time to Canada on a PR visa

guys, I need to know what airline could offer flights directly from Dominican Republic to montreal for early June. I called Air Transat and they said they dont sell one way flights from DR to YUL montreal.... can anybody help me here? the flight needs to be directly from DR (punta cana or Puerto plata are the only airports available, I would prefer santo domingo or la romana but they are not flying there) because my wife has no american visa to take a flight through the states...

any help?

thanks

Johana

May 24, 2006
Hi Carlos,
check Air Canada. They fly into Montreal. Not sure what their pricing is like right now but when I bought a ticket about 6 weeks in advance is was 550 with taxes.

Very exciting that you are ready to buy a ticket!!!! Por Fin!!!!

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
I guess you have to buy a roundrip ticket if nothing else works....Only Air Canada sells one way tickets (now)...Roundtrip with Airtransat is probably cheaper the AC one way.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
There is a decent priced ticket on Air Canada for June 6th, however there is an overnight stop over in Toronto. Other than that I didn't see anything else.
Good luck

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
thanks guys... yeah, I saw that one from Air canada that has an overnight stop, but I am wondering, what is going to happen with her when they see her passport and immigration documents when she is in toronto? are they going to ask her the questions they normally ask when they arrive directly from DR to Montreal or are they going to wait until she arrives in montreal to ask her the questions and all that??

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I'm sure she'll have to go through customs and immigration and all that in Toronto, although I could be wrong. All I have to go by is a month ago I flew from POP to YUL to YYZ and I had to get my bags, go through customs, and then re-check my bags on my connecting flight to Toronto. Then when I got to Toronto I only had to get my bags and leave, however I don't know if things will be different with immigration. Maybe you could meet her in Toronto and fly back together or even drive back, since it might be a little nerve racking being in a new country in the airport over night alone.?

Johana

May 24, 2006
Carlos,
your wife will go through customs at the first place she lands so yes if the flight routed through Toronto that is where they would process her residency.

My husband had to stop in Montreal before coming to Toronto and had no problems.

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
do they have people that speak spanish there all the time 24 hours a day? because we dont know the time the flight will be at and she only speaks spanish, no english or french

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I think it would be a requirement to have someone on hand from immigration who is fluent in multiple languages and Spanish would be at the top of the list... but if you want to be certain there must be a number you could call at the airport to ask.

Johana

May 24, 2006
You could check with either airport - but I think they have access to translators. Not sure that they have someone speaking spanish on at all times though. Considering the number of people that immigrate from all over the world the customs officers surely can't cover every language.

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
okay. those are my main concerns, the existence of someone that speak spanish in the airport for the immigration offices and processing the permanent residence in toronto instead of montreal (because my wife doesnt speak any other language than spanish)

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Even though they couldn't cover every language, I think Spanish is a very common language, especially with the countries in close proximity to Canada that are Spanish speaking. However, maybe not available 24 hours.
Here are some numbers, I believe, for Pearson Airport regarding immigration and citizenship... not sure if this is exactly what you want, but just in case, here you go:
Citizenship and Immigration Canada: 1-888-242-2100
Immigration General Information: 416-973-4444