Started sponsorship to Canada for my wife....Carlos process from start to finish

Johana

May 24, 2006
I would check with the individual airports - and ask if it would help if you contacted them once you have the ticket booked so that you could give them the advance notice. Might help save some time.

I know my friend at work who is Polish told me that when they landed in Toronto they called a translator for them. Not sure how long that took though.

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
good. guys you are a great help, I really appreciate that information. I called air transat and they said people cannot use a round trip ticket as a one way ticket when traveling because they lose the 2nd portion if the first one is not used. what do you guys think?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
i believe thats true carlos because the air transat offices in pop & puj sell those empty seats.

a few years ago i needed to buy a 1 way ticket home and had to wait for the flight to arrive at the beginning of the week to see if there were any people who missed the flight into the Dom Rep (empty seats). luckily i got one but there were only 2 available that particular week.

You are probably best to go with air canada because they are used to flying new residents and everything you have been through the last thing you want is a problem at the airport!!....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
guys, I need to know what airline could offer flights directly from Dominican Republic to montreal for early June. I called Air Transat and they said they dont sell one way flights from DR to YUL montreal.... can anybody help me here? the flight needs to be directly from DR (punta cana or Puerto plata are the only airports available, I would prefer santo domingo or la romana but they are not flying there) because my wife has no american visa to take a flight through the states...

any help?

thanks

If your wife has her permanent residence visa(stamped passport) she can apply for an American Transit Visa. My mother-in-law did this, and one of my wife's teachers is coming for an English course this summer and they gave her a transit Visa also.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
good. guys you are a great help, I really appreciate that information. I called air transat and they said people cannot use a round trip ticket as a one way ticket when traveling because they lose the 2nd portion if the first one is not used. what do you guys think?

Absolutely true. If you don't board in Canada for your roundtrip ticket, you will lose your return flight as they will put it back on the market for the return trip. Your best bet is to buy a ticket directly in the DR to Canada. My husband immigrated here in 2005 and bought his ticket directly from a tour operator in POP. Make sure your wife has all her approved documents on hand and her passport as they will want to see all that and may want a photocopy before they will sell her a ticket. I don't know the name or number of the place he went to but if you called the tour operators for Sunwing, Sunquest, etc. in the DR, I'm sure they could tell you where the local office was. Sometimes the reps in Toronto or Montreal can check the seating availability for a return flight once the departure of the first leg of the trip has left (i.e. if a rountrip flight leaves from Montreal to POP on May 19 and is scheduled to return on May 26, after the departure on May 19, the tour operator can see if there will be empty seats on the return flight on May 26). If you know there will be an empty seat on a return flight, your wife can just go to the airport and buy the ticket the day of the flight if she goes to see one of the tour operators that come with the hotel guests. Hope that makes sense? This way, she could likely get a flight from La Romana but if not POP or PUJ.

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
Carlos

I booked an Air Canada flight to Montreal on the 7th of June. I am not sure what the availability is or cost is at this point.

Terry

todiscover

May 17, 2007
Carlos,
I have called Air transat 5 times since yesterday so i can get different reps and different departments. I have talked to Customer Service, Airline, and Sales.
All three of them have confirmed that you can purchase a roundtrip and that you dont lose the second seat. As long as you book with AT directly, tell them the situation ,etc. they will notify operations so that the seat is still there for the return.
As long as you have the ticket, and you check in early you have the right to get on that plane.

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
thank you for letting me know. I will call now with base and have that solved. I believe that the reason why they keep on telling me the same thing is because i am calling the montreal office instead of the office where you are calling. can you PM me the phone number where you are calling for air transat todiscover??

thanks a bunch.. I will post my story when my wife gets here early next month and will tell you what a great experience I had with the person handling my case... after going through the pain of having to wait, I just got a call out of the blue and things were just like heaven from there on.... but Iwill tell you later on guys....

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
my wife got the call, visa approved coming june 6th to Montreal from Punta Cana

guys,
I know I am the one that had the short posts and didn't say much... I bought a direct ticket for my wife to come to Montreal from Punta Cana on june 6th. She got the call today to pick up the passport (she dropped it off 2 weeks ago) and we are both super happy.

I will post my thoughts on the process as well as my timeline after my wife is here.

and by the way, to all of you that gave me support and will give me support (especially MGB and PRINCESA PINEDA) thanks a bunch!!! you have no idea how thankful I am.

and to the ones that haven't finished their process and are still waiting to hear the first update GUYS, THIS IS NORMAL!!!! THEY RARELY ANSWER EMAILS WHEN THE PROCESS IS WITHIN ITS TIMELINE AND IF YOU APPLIED AND YOUR CASE IS WITHIN THE FIRST 20 MONTHS, DONT FREAK OUT, GET YOUR CAIPS AND WAIT!!! I KNOW ITS FRUSTRATING BUT its just the way it is....

thank you all!!!

princesa_pineda

May 13, 2008
AAAHHHH!!!!! FELICIDADES!!!!! I am sooooo happy for you Carlos, I can imagine how happy you and your wife are! Can't wait to post that papi got his visa! Soon I hope!!! He has been approved so now it's just a mattar of time! Again I am sooo happy for you, hope to some day meet you and Stephanie! Muchas felicidades amigo!

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
gracias a todos!!!

thanks a bunch guys... princesa, when is your husband getting it? do you have a contact name from the embassy in port au prince?

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
Carlos....I am so happy to hear this. Good things come to those who wait!!! I hope my husband follows shortly after!!

Johana

May 24, 2006
Carlos,

That is wonderful news!!!!!!! Congratulations to you and your wife. Enjoy this special time together :) Wishing you both all the best.