State of Emergency extended to 1 December

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Palacio-Nacional-Hoy-1024x819.jpg

The National Senate passed the 45-day extension of the National State of Emergency on Wednesday, 14 October 2020, in the evening. The bill had already passed in the Chamber of Deputies.

The status provides short cuts for government procurement and facilitates the enforcing of the curfew. The National State of Emergency will start on 18 October and continue to 1 December 2020. It has been in effect since 18 March 2020. Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM) legislators had opposed the state of emergency during the past government. Now as the new majority in both Congress houses, PRM legislators have been prompt to extend the status on two occasions.

The bill now moves to the Presidency for its signing and implementation.

In the arguments for the extension, President Luis Abinader stated: “Although the spread of the disease is contained thanks to measures adopted during the state...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
the health authorities are concerned the lowering of the guard of Dominicans could result in an outbreak, such as has occurred in other more developed countries.

(y) 🆙
🇩🇴

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And what will happen effective 2 December 2020?
That is the question on the minds of ALL Dominicans.
If I were a betting man, another SOE.

Onward and into infinity...

We are trying to prevent 0.6% of the population from becoming CV19 victims.
(Are they going to let Grandma get run over by a reindeer?)

Reactions: irishpaddy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No - it gives the government authorization to spend money without having to go through the normal parliamentary procedures
Indeed that is true as well. One reason SOE's are granted for only short periods of time.

I should have said: In the context of CV19, an SOE is necessary to violate human rights by imposing a curfew, forcing people to wear masks, closing certain businesses, limiting seating, etc .

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
If I were a betting man, another SOE.

Onward and into infinity...

We are trying to prevent 0.6% of the population from becoming CV19 victims.
(Are they going to let Grandma get run over by a reindeer?)

We?!?!?!?!?
As an admitted atheist, I would not expect a different answer from you.
Perhaps it's time to treat the curfew and SOE like overstaying a 30 day tourist entry.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
We= DR legal resident and citizens :cool:
I am a legal resident and normally wouldn’t say We and consider myself part of the system here and I know the mindset regarding that. I think a citizen like Windeguy has that right though.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I had a nice response, but believe it or not, there was a power surge that bumped me off for a few minutes. It's probably for the best.
Once again, the Lord works in mysterious ways.
I am curious to know what you mean. I sense some sarcasm. Can’t permanent legal residents and naturalized citizens say we similar to a Dominican when referring to the countries policies ?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I am curious to know what you mean. I sense some sarcasm. Can’t permanent legal residents and naturalized citizens say we similar to a Dominican when referring to the countries policies ?

No sarcasm.
There was a power surge which bumped off my internet connection for several minutes.
Some heavy thunderstorms rode through the region within the last hour.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We?!?!?!?!?
As an admitted atheist, I would not expect a different answer from you.
Perhaps it's time to treat the curfew and SOE like overstaying a 30 day tourist entry.
Not sure what being an atheist has to do with a contagious disease that kills 0.5% of those it infects.
Seems indepdent to me of this situation.

When I wrote we, I meant the "collective we" which in this case includes those with actual power.

Would you like it better if I said "they", meaning the actual powers that be who run the country, are trying to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed
by continuaing a string of curfews that will most likely go on for the foreseeable future? That time just happens to go until next year and even beyond.
They are not going to give more importance to silly holidays there are between now and then. After all, in the DR, Easter is far more important than Xmas and that was already sacrificed for Covid Control.