Stay away from Haina/San Cristobal today

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I agree it can be intimidating, depending on where you learned to drive. People who grew up driving in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens highways won’t bat an eye. Those accustomed to suburbia or country roads will have a steep learning curve.
This one I'm not sure about. I spent some time driving around the boroughs for hospitals. The LIE may have the same stretch of road under construction by the mob for 7 years going. The Cross Bronx may be bumper to bumper and take you an hour to move a mile, but I've never seen the carnage on NYC highways like I've seen here.

Adding I just thought about interstate 95. I spent 3 years driving between NJ and Clemson. I would say I95 is bad like 6 November, but because there are no small motos like here you see less cadavers in the road

Reactions: Auryn

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Those accustomed to suburbia or country roads will have a steep learning curve.
I did... Not any suburbia, Scandinavian one... I have previously described my first ever time driving in the DR.... I broke a few things (not by colliding with other vehicles, but by colliding with the imperfects of the DR roads before getting the hang of it (including one complete exhaust system, a few tires and a one side mirror entering a very narrow garage...)...

• Wow
Reactions: AlterEgo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This one I'm not sure about. I spent some time driving around the boroughs for hospitals. The LIE may have the same stretch of road under construction by the mob for 7 years going. The Cross Bronx may be bumper to bumper and take you an hour to move a mile, but I've never seen the carnage on NYC highways like I've seen here.

Adding I just thought about interstate 95. I spent 3 years driving between NJ and Clemson. I would say I95 is bad like 6 November, but because there are no small motos like here you see less cadavers in the road

I was thinking more about coming down Queens Blvd to the 59th Street Bridge, then trying to get downtown in Manhattan, dodging all the taxis. Or coming out any of the tunnels and merging to get anywhere in Manhattan. If you can do that in your sleep, you’ll be fine in DR.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Any more updates about the crash? Not really interested in how humans drive in other countries.
Nothing other than they identified the driver by his dental records.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Doesn't matter who points the finger at who. Nothing will change when it comes to the way Dominican truckers drive. If you've ever met one/ sat down and had a converstion with one....
you would understand why.
They seem to select only inbreds, lobotomy patients or crack-heads for truck drivers.

Ever call one of the phone numbers on the back of a cargo van to report bad drivers..... Those are just false advertisements

Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I had a incident where I parked infront of a store.There is about 15 feet between the traveled way and the store front. Plenty of motos were parked right against the store with room for several more.
Between my car there was about 8 feet between my car and the building.

While I was inside guy on a brand new looking moto parked next to my vehicle, and maybe his wheel turned or moto leaned on its kick stand after he dismounted and was in contact with my mirror.

Bottom line I pulled away going forward (not even turning) and his moto tipped over. He ran out of the colmado waving his arms but I didn't stop. He literally had room to have parked one of those annoying 4 wheelers with room to spare yet chose to park adjacent my car, I assume he was just in a rush or an inexperienced rider.
I see this often in parking lots as well and have seen many motos toppled.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I had a incident where I parked infront of a store.There is about 15 feet between the traveled way and the store front. Plenty of motos were parked right against the store with room for several more.
Between my car there was about 8 feet between my car and the building.

While I was inside guy on a brand new looking moto parked next to my vehicle, and maybe his wheel turned or moto leaned on its kick stand after he dismounted and was in contact with my mirror.

Bottom line I pulled away going forward (not even turning) and his moto tipped over. He ran out of the colmado waving his arms but I didn't stop. He literally had room to have parked one of those annoying 4 wheelers with room to spare yet chose to park adjacent my car, I assume he was just in a rush or an inexperienced rider.
I see this often in parking lots as well and have seen many motos toppled.
I've knocked over a couple motos for the same reason. Some were parked so close to the opposite side of my car that, when I started to back out and turn, I knocked them over. Another couple were parked so close to the rear of my car that I couldn't see them in the rear-view mirror and tipped them over while backing out. A couple were parked so close on the driver's side that I had to move them just to get into my car. Idiots!

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
After owning cars and driving here for 8 years I had enough and sold my car last year. A great decision in my opinion,now I walk or take a taxi,no motos. Yes,riding in a taxi can be just as dangerous as driving my own vehicle but my lower blood pressure is worth it. Totally doable in Sosua.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You see this all the time on the highway going through Cabarete. I've almost killed a couple while pulling out of plaza parking lots.
I've had exactly the same experience in Cabarete. When I yelled at a moto driver who crossed in front of me on the wrong side of the road while I was leaving a plaza, nearly getting himself run over, another moto driver started yelling at me!

Reactions: cavok

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I've knocked over a couple motos for the same reason. Some were parked so close to the opposite side of my car that, when I started to back out and turn, I knocked them over. Another couple were parked so close to the rear of my car that I couldn't see them in the rear-view mirror and tipped them over while backing out. A couple were parked so close on the driver's side that I had to move them just to get into my car. Idiots!
But I neither backed out nor turned. I believe his mirror was just in front of mine and my mirror won.
Bottom line these brain dead pasola riders need to park with a modicum of brain cells if they want their motos intact.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I've had exactly the same experience in Cabarete. When I yelled at a moto driver who crossed in front of me on the wrong side of the road while I was leaving a plaza, nearly getting himself run over, another moto driver started yelling at me!
I love it when your at an intersection looking left for traffic to be open but wanting to turn right and these toad-stools on motos come up the wrong side of the road and pass in front of you. You may be looking left and when you see it clear left you begin your turn and drill them. Never move forward without a double check at intersections.
No doubt DR has the world's dumbest drivers, heck they even admit it, thus the truck drillef the bus because a mushroom was in the driver's seat

Reactions: drstock