Still a long way to go, but spread of Covid-19 slows in the Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Once again you display your ignorance of this country thinking only tourist jobs, your quote, " the only real jobs not available are tourism jobs " are the jobs being effected. What incredible ignorance and with a pompous attitude on top of it. You are a joke.
But opening the country will just bring in the tourists in droves🤣

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Try again? Ok Gus the international flights are open HOWEVER to clarify for you, with a curfew that says tourists, as well as everyone else has to be in side at 5 on Sat and Sun and 7 other days then is it really open to people that want to come and enjoy a vacation?? Patently false, that is funny. How many hotels are open? I guess because, as you say incoming flights are open tourists can come here and then?????
I am guessing you are one of the many on this forum that doesn't live here OR you stay locked in most of the day/week and have no clue of the real life here in the D.R.
Ruf Ruff RuffRuffRuff, settle down there Barky😂

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
But opening the country will just bring in the tourists in droves🤣

No, I didn't say that. HOWEVER the sooner things open the sooner things will go back to normal PLUS I do live here and Dominicans want to go out after these stupid curfews and many of them have $$ to spend. Some of my favorite fine dining restaurants will never re-open and so their employees are out of work. My girlfriend is a business owner that is struggling to hold on because of these curfews.

Reactions: Caonabo

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
So tell me Gus, do you live here or are your thoughts/comments from afar?
No, I didn't say that. HOWEVER the sooner things open the sooner things will go back to normal PLUS I do live here and Dominicans want to go out after these stupid curfews and many of them have $$ to spend. Some of my favorite fine dining restaurants will never re-open and so their employees are out of work. My girlfriend is a business owner that is struggling to hold on because of these curfews.
So because of your favorite fine dining closures and your girlfriend's business you are willing for people to die from the spread of contagion.

Talk about ignorance.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
So because of your favorite fine dining closures and your girlfriend's business you are willing for people to die from the spread of contagion.

Talk about ignorance.

Is the spread of Covid slowing, remaining the same, or increasing in 'your part of the RD?
Are people unable to work a worry in 'your region?
What is the consensus of the general population within traveling distance to 'you regarding the curfew?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Talk about ignorance.
Your comments get more ridiculous as the night goes on, put the bottle away for tomorrow. My point if you can follow it again, is that there are many other businesses in the D>R> (have you ever been here?) then those depending on tourism. Many Dominicans are suffering because of the inability to work and put food on the table. Luckily for some remittence is up again thanks to many people getting back to work primarily in the U.S. but there are others that get no assistance from family abroad. Maybe you come and stay at all inclusive resorts and think that is all there is to this country but that is a very narrow view of the reality here.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Your comments get more ridiculous as the night goes on, put the bottle away for tomorrow. My point if you can follow it again, is that there are many other businesses in the D>R> (have you ever been here?) then those depending on tourism. Many Dominicans are suffering because of the inability to work and put food on the table. Luckily for some remittence is up again thanks to many people getting back to work primarily in the U.S. but there are others that get no assistance from family abroad. Maybe you come and stay at all inclusive resorts and think that is all there is to this country but that is a very narrow view of the reality here.
What are you babbling about. Most people are back to work during day time hours.

Regardless, your arguments are rendered moot since the government has indicated the curfew will be extended again through October. You are arguing your points to a brick wall.

As the OP indicates, the spread is slowing as Andre pointed out because of the curfew.

Sorry about your lack of fine dining experiences🤮

Reactions: Andre14615

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
What are you babbling about. Most people are back to work during day time hours.

Regardless, your arguments are rendered moot since the government has indicated the curfew will be extended again through October. You are arguing your points to a brick wall.

As the OP indicates, the spread is slowing as Andre pointed out because of the curfew.

Sorry about your lack of fine dining experiences🤮

Your comments doing nothing more than prove your lack of knowledge about the D.R> I notice you never answered if you live here, which I would find hard to believe.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Exactly and the only real jobs not available are tourism jobs which well, there are no tourists since nobody is traveling DUE TO COVID.
I probably have around 50 Dominican friends who live across
the island from Santo Domingo up to Puerto Plata all the way
over to Nagua. None of them work in the tourism sector. Not
before Covid, not during Covid, not after Covid.
Where are you getting your information from?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So the curfew is over tomorrow...does that mean there is job for that poor man considering only 10 % of tourism is back..
Curfew ain’t stopping work!! Covid is , big difference...stopping curfew will not help jobs! Curtailing covid to bring back tourism will...
Nothing is going to stop CV19. Is that not obvious to everyone?

So we can, and will, continue to live in a world that tries to "curtail "it, but that is impossible.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Perhaps not that particular man awaiting to return to a tourism related job, but perhaps that man or woman who happen to work in occupations past 7pm Monday-Friday, 5pm on Saturdays and Sundays, and those that are currently forced/limited to work in reduced % furloughed capacities.
I understand that the average foreigner/expatriate who sits comfortably in his recliner, fudging with his tablet, would not understand the plight of these average people.
It is very easy to tell persons how to live their own proper lives when your own economic situations are secured and guaranteed.
#NoMásToqueDeQueda
Since you are suffering so much Caonabogofundme.com you deserve to be on recliner as the rest of us Caonabo life matters..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How long before the DR government starts to use the word "equilibrium" , instead of flattening the curve, when it comes to CV19?

From a NY Times email today we can see how well this is working out:

Facing a possible second wave of coronavirus infections, European countries are trying to walk a tightrope: avoiding the harsh lockdowns of the spring, while also adhering to social-distancing rules and contact-tracing protocols.​
“It’s not possible to stop the virus,” said Emmanuel André, a leading virologist in Belgium. “It’s about maintaining equilibrium. And we only have a few tools available to do that.”​

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Nothing is going to stop CV19. Is that not obvious to everyone?

So we can, and will, continue to live in a world that tries to "curtail "it, but that is impossible.
That’s your opinion your hiding in your basement as per your words...you haven’t left your compound but handful of times... I’m out and about daily in My home country ...isn’t it funny top four in covid numbers Brazil US India Russia , leaders are best buds? Conspiracy? DR did great job until election... your wrong cv19 will eventually die off just like every other pandemic just hope we are here to argue it :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That’s your opinion your hiding in your basement as per your words...you haven’t left your compound but handful of times... I’m out and about daily in My home country ...isn’t it funny top four in covid numbers Brazil US India Russia , leaders are best buds? Conspiracy? DR did great job until election... your wrong cv19 will eventually die off just like every other pandemic just hope we are here to argue it :)

Oh yes, it is an opinion. Also the opinion of any logical thinking person like this man Emmanuel Andre. Please not that he is a leading virologist from Belgium and that the EU is seeing a spike in cases as we speak: .

“It’s not possible to stop the virus,” said Emmanuel André, a leading virologist in Belgium. “It’s about maintaining equilibrium. And we only have a few tools available to do that.”

Who do you, lifeisgreat, now want to call out in the UK as causing this spike?

Where did I say CV19 will eventually die off? It is very contagious and there has never been an effective vaccine or long term immunity for any coronavirus. I have stated more times than I can recall that CV19 is here, there and everywhere to stay.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The longer it takes to reopen the longer it will take to get back to normal levels of tourism. Plus tell the restaurants where their main meal of the day was Diner. I already heard Saga, one of my favorites in Santiago, will not be re-opening plus the group including Noah and KGB have nor re-opened, maybe they will and maybe not. There are thousands that work in Dinner type restaurants. You that are feeling all safe and snug with everything locked down at night might need to start staying home all day as I would expect, and have heard of several examples, of violent daytime crimes taking place lately both on the north shore as well as Santiago.
More people die from many other causes here in the D.R. Yes, not all are contagious but let the old/sick etc. quarantine themselves and let people get back to work not to mention the poor kids who already deal with a sub par school system losing on their opportunities or the exceptional ones that do find their way out of poverty with a career even if the minors with baseball.,
You can forget tourism this year even if the curfew was lifted. And the longer an overly cautious government officials take to adjust hours or reverse the curfews the longer tourism will suffer and may drop further.
It takes a while until a person who is slowly poisoned to die.......same for tourism, it has been slowly poisoned and while not dead yet the longer the planes don't fly here the more likely they may not care to establish those routes.
Remember the airlines are losing money too and they will make choices as to what are the most profitable routes and if DR is not profitable it will be eliminate or seat prices will be raised - either one will have a permanent effect on people travelling.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Oh yes, it is an opinion. Also the opinion of any logical thinking person like this man Emmanuel Andre. Please not that he is a leading virologist from Belgium and that the EU is seeing a spike in cases as we speak: .

“It’s not possible to stop the virus,” said Emmanuel André, a leading virologist in Belgium. “It’s about maintaining equilibrium. And we only have a few tools available to do that.”

Who do you, lifeisgreat, now want to call out in the UK as causing this spike?

Where did I say CV19 will eventually die off? It is very contagious and there has never been an effective vaccine or long term immunity for any coronavirus. I have stated more times than I can recall that CV19 is here, there and everywhere to stay.
Your putting words in my mouth your sounding like you want to win an election... I suggest baby steps take mask off walk outside your gate smell the air...next day a little more ...there is more to world then being keyboard warrior..

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am sure if Chinas real numbers were revealed they would top the list. All four mentioned country have very big populations with crowded cities. It has absolutely nothing to do with their leaders who aren't buddies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Your putting words in my mouth your sounding like you want to win an election... I suggest baby steps take mask off walk outside your gate smell the air...next day a little more ...there is more to world then being keyboard warrior..
What words did I put in your mouth? You said this to me and I quote: "your wrong cv19 will eventually die off just like every other pandemic"

I have only worn a mask 4 times so far. So it is not like I need to take it off before I walk around. If I do walk around, the government here says I have to have a mask on or I could be arrested.

You said I was wrong that CV19 would eventually die off. I never once said such a thing. I hoped there was herd immunity, but virologists do not believe there is any long term herd immunity. If there is no herd immunity, a vaccine will be of little use as well. It is you who attempted to put words in my mouth. CV19 is here, there and everywhere to stay.

Where I stay, is up to me, just as your behavior is up to you unless a government is violating your rights. Like the government in the DR does with curfews based upon a state of emergency.

I might venture forth a bit more. Time will tell.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Since you are suffering so much Caonabogofundme.com you deserve to be on recliner as the rest of us Caonabo life matters..

This is how you and I, are very different. For me this is not about I, me, or myself. For you, it is about you, and what you believe is right for others.
I readily admit, I am personally not suffering.
I readily admit MY employees are not suffering.
But my employees do have family, neighbors, and friends who are suffering to a degree from this curfew/limited shutdown/new regulations in place. How do I know? I see them. I talk to them.
Persons who's ventures I have assisted/invested within are currently stalled, or limited in function.
This is a reality here within RD. Any person who resides here, or has interests here would easily understand this.
Those truly concerned only for themselves as numerous posters within this web forum show, could care less about rolling back these limitations on the general populace.
I am in a very fortunate position. Life has been good to me. I have been good to myself.
I want the same opportunities for every person.
I do not wish to tell others how to live their lives, while I live in comfort.
Persons with pride, want to provide......not collect.

Status
Not open for further replies.