Sto. Dom: Best Furniture Store for Beds and Sofas?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

I hope y'all are safe and well.

As you know, the prices of mattresses, even without boxspring and frame, are "through the roof." And one never knows if that name brand isn't a knock-off. And sofas are often not exactly elegant and poorly made . . .

When I go to the second floors of Plaza Llama and La Sirena, for example, I find a pretty weak selection--not much choice and high prices.

Is there one store, hands down, that wins the prize for furniture purchases, including beds and sofas? Or must I just keep searching for that one-off item that fits the bill? I am not looking for a bargain. I am looking for quality and I'm willing to pay the price.

Given our ages, 67 and 58, respectively, these items will be a "once in a lifetime" purchase. At our age, I seriously doubt that we are gonna wear out that mattress!

dalethefarmer

Jan 27, 2014
Hello All,

As you know, the prices of mattresses, even without boxspring and frame, are "through the roof." And one never knows if that name brand isn't a knock-off. And sofas are often not exactly elegant and poorly made . . .

When I go to the second floors of Plaza Llama and La Sirena, for example, I find a pretty weak selection--not much choice and high prices.

Is there one store, hands down, that wins the prize for furniture purchases, including beds and sofas? Or must I just keep searching for that one-off item that fits the bill? I am not looking for a bargain. I am looking for quality and I'm willing to pay the price.

Given our ages, 67 and 58, respectively, these items will be a "once in a lifetime" purchase. At our age, I seriously doubt that we are gonna wear out that mattress!
Have you tried IKEA? Even their lower tier priced furniture is good, only thing is you have to assemble it yourself, but I bet getting someone to assemble it for you will still net you savings.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Well sofas in IKEA don't need assembled, Beds yes.The Mattresses from IKEA are different like the most others they sell in the stores in SD. No Pillowtop, you can check out how they build up the mattress. Prices go from 10 to over 50 K Pesos. I sleep on one 2 years now, very comfortable.
Another good stores for Furniture are Ilumel on Av. Abraham Lincoln and Home Gallery on Av. Gustavo Mejia Ricart and Arbaje Soni Calle Paseo de Los Locutores

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Have you tried IKEA? Even their lower tier priced furniture is good, only thing is you have to assemble it yourself, but I bet getting someone to assemble it for you will still net you savings.
Thanks for that. I have visited IKEA a couple of times, adjacent to Galeria 360. I don't remember seeing sofas or beds. I'll check online and see what they offer.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Now you're talkin' my language! I do have a Pricesmart membership, so I will check them out.
Let us know what they run. I need a new King and I just can't justify it for my age.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hello All,

Buying furniture in the DR from stores is a no-no!
You can have whatever you can show a picture or drawing of at the many “ebanisterias” around the country custom made. Using high quality treated mahogany and real leather.

As far as the mattress? You can find quality in a brand like La Reina here in the DR, much better than Sealy, Simmons and many other brands.
They are not cheap, but the reason why shows.

You can compare prices and brand here:

I linked to the king sized selection on the above posted direct link.

Attachments

• 8C3537EB-C8E5-4084-9817-2866FC9DB3BF.jpeg
    8C3537EB-C8E5-4084-9817-2866FC9DB3BF.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 176

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Buying furniture in the DR from stores is a no-no!
You can have whatever you can show a picture or drawing of at the many “ebanisterias” around the country custom made. Using high quality treated mahogany and real leather.
Real leather? Tell me one ebanista who works with real leather please, I have to see it with my own eyes.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I own a hotel so I buy a lot of furniture. Mattresses I always have made to order in Villa Consuelo, there is a place I use called Tapi Centro JB and their mattresses are excellent and way cheaper than anything you could buy in a big store like IKEA. And they last and last, imagine how much wear and tear a mattress gets in an adult-only hotel. Villa Consuelo is an amazing place to get anything made or repaired, but you will either need to speak Spanish yourself or take a Spanish speaker. I wouldn't recommend IKEA mattresses as they are strange sizes and you will struggle to get any bedding you own to fit them. And they are also very expensive.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If you are looking for quality sofas, there is no greater selection than at the Ilumel store. They have several floors full of sofas (and other furniture) of every design you can imagine and those you didn't know exist. They claim to be the largest furniture store in Latin America and by looking at the place that's very believable. Prices might not be as relaxing as the sofas themselves, but you said quality so... Many are imported from Europe, North America, and of course China/Vietnam.

The store is on ave Lincoln in Piantini. They deliver everywhere in the DR.

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
I bought Ikea furniture and mattresses because I didn’t know where else to go. They have not had a lot of use due to not being able to travel, but when I have been there I’ve been happy with all of it. The beds are comfortable and all the linens I have fit as they should. The mattresses may be expensive by DR standards, but were fairly inexpensive compared to the Sealy iComfort I have at home in the US.

DonDimi

Nov 28, 2016
Hello All,

Ilumel its on Ave. Lincoln south from Kenedy on the right hand side (its huge you can not miss it) its the best there is in Santo Domingo ...its like an art gallery for furniture and al l.... https://ilumel.com/

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Agree about Ilumel but the stuff is very expensive for what it is. I have been there taken photos and had a copy made in better wood for half the cost. But I do accept that I'm really into design, speak Spanish and love mooching around Villa Consuelo. Ilumel is very much first world.

Reactions: XTraveller

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Agree about Ilumel but the stuff is very expensive for what it is. I have been there taken photos and had a copy made in better wood for half the cost. But I do accept that I'm really into design, speak Spanish and love mooching around Villa Consuelo. Ilumel is very much first world.
I like shopping around Villa Consuelo, my Dominican partner is from there. Since Coronavirus too crowded for me to feel safe.
It's incredibly the workmanship found there with only the basic tools. Advice must not pay in advance for work, partial deposit OK.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
OP summation: Thank you for these leads. They are appreciated. I have gone with PriceSmart. A king size Simmons BeautyRest cost RD$24,000. You pay significantly more if you buy the memory foam option. What we call the "boxspring" they call the "base." The base is not included but it doesn't cost much, about 5K. And taxes are included. For around 3K they sell the adjustable frame that fits all sizes of mattresses. Delivery costs around 0.8K. We hired a truck in our area for about 1K with instant service to our destination. When you are on the floor, if you do not see what you want, some of their stock is off the floor and can be retrieved. Further, they receive new stock every week on Tuesday or Wednesday, I forget which! This experience is based on the Bolivar store in Sto. Dom.

BTW, prices here are MUCH lower than La Sirena, probably not a good option for mattresses anyway . . .

Reactions: JD Jones