Sto. Dom: Best Furniture Store for Beds and Sofas?

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
If you are looking for quality sofas, there is no greater selection than at the Ilumel store. They have several floors full of sofas (and other furniture) of every design you can imagine and those you didn't know exist. They claim to be the largest furniture store in Latin America and by looking at the place that's very believable. Prices might not be as relaxing as the sofas themselves, but you said quality so... Many are imported from Europe, North America, and of course China/Vietnam.

The store is on ave Lincoln in Piantini. They deliver everywhere in the DR.

If you have expanded pockets, then go with the above.

For excellent quality and workmanship with reasonable prices, take a trip to Duarte Hwy, past La Vega and right before Moca. Full of stores and furniture shops. They'll customize and make anything for you.

Thank me later.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
If you are a little familiar. Highly recommended to have it made to measure from Caoba. Santo Domingo; Villa Consuelo is the place to be (put on your poker face or let a local friend do the negotiations)

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
If you have expanded pockets, then go with the above.

For excellent quality and workmanship with reasonable prices, take a trip to Duarte Hwy, past La Vega and right before Moca. Full of stores and furniture shops. They'll customize and make anything for you.

Thank me later.
You need expanded pockets to shop there also.
Extensive time shopping for a dinning room table taught me that.
The quality of of work is excellent and you do have the ability to have things customized just for you.
No need to thank anyone, actually.
We all putting our 2 pesos in for free up in here now are we not.

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
Hello All,

I hope y'all are safe and well.

As you know, the prices of mattresses, even without boxspring and frame, are "through the roof." And one never knows if that name brand isn't a knock-off. And sofas are often not exactly elegant and poorly made . . .

When I go to the second floors of Plaza Llama and La Sirena, for example, I find a pretty weak selection--not much choice and high prices.

Is there one store, hands down, that wins the prize for furniture purchases, including beds and sofas? Or must I just keep searching for that one-off item that fits the bill? I am not looking for a bargain. I am looking for quality and I'm willing to pay the price.

Given our ages, 67 and 58, respectively, these items will be a "once in a lifetime" purchase. At our age, I seriously doubt that we are gonna wear out that mattre

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
poor quality at plaza Lama and la sirena. in addition, much too expensive compared to the local entrepreneurs (where you can get customization and even select the fabrics)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've mentioned before Muebleria La Nacional here in SD has some of the nicest and most economical Mahogany furniture I've come across and have their own mattress factory and produce Simmons and other well-known mattresses in house.

That's where I bought all of my furniture 35 years ago and it's all still in excellent shape.

Last edited: