stomach and gut - Parasites

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Papaya (lechoza) with the seeds is sometimes recommended for amoebic dysentery (which I never realised had a second 'e').

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Liquid lactobacillus acidophilus is available at farmacias for those who feel treatment of parasites may have removed all their good bugs as well as the less good ones.

Quite right .. good stuff for getting the belly juices doing the right things again. Also, like with taking most medications, yogurt is a good thing! Just check it, the latest yoghurt's that I've checked did not even know something like milk existed and was completely made out of other stuff, reconstituted stuff. So, good yogurt can also do the trick. And like Chiri says papaya is a wonderful food for any intestinal problem - with seeds in some instances or without, in others. Gideon Plaut in Cabarete is good with suggesting food complements if anything has gone haywire with the body and its systems.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If I "adopt" a tapeworm, how long until he/she is eligible for a vias? :bunny:

I recall Chip posting something about the 6 or 7 bugs you need before your system is Dominicanized...

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
'Backfiring' could be a symptom of...............:laugh::laugh:

Anyone wanting the worming mixture which a number of locals take should ask at Farmacia for Fel-6 Suspension Oral (liquid, not unpleasant to taste, instructions included, it is mebendazole). I don't worm regularly although I did around the time I had toxoplasmosis & again when I had giardiasis.

Liquid lactobacillus acidophilus is available at farmacias for those who feel treatment of parasites may have removed all their good bugs as well as the less good ones.

One of the best probiotics for this and also used in Europe for food poisoning treatment is:
Saccharomyces Boulardii (Sb).
In Europe it goes under the name CODEX and in N. America it is FloriStor. It is MUCH more expensive in the DR (something like $500 for 6 capsules) so buying it online from Amazon or someplace (yes, Amazon has it) makes sense...but then have it hand carried (see the thread on DR postal as to why;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had all diseases possible save for malaria and dengue. in fact, i can be considered biological weapon every time i board the plane.
guess i am just unlucky.
i take my parasite medicines, get better, stop taking it, get worse, more pills, get better for longer, get even worse next time.
nothing helps so i look at the bright side: i now weigh as much as i did at 15. makes me feel celebrity-like :)

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
i had all diseases possible save for malaria and dengue. in fact, i can be considered biological weapon every time i board the plane.
guess i am just unlucky.
i take my parasite medicines, get better, stop taking it, get worse, more pills, get better for longer, get even worse next time.
nothing helps so i look at the bright side: i now weigh as much as i did at 15. makes me feel celebrity-like :)

Maybe we could team up? I've had 2 strains of Dengue (much to my chagrin--my last one was also hemmorhagic.) I'm wondering if I get the other two strains whether I can license my blood as a vaccine (it helps that I'm Rh negative too!)

Moreover, the diet aspect...there are actually diet capsules one can purchase from China that have tapeworm eggs in them:ermm:

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
what affect, if any, will the daily dosage of brugal have on parasites, or if it is a particularly strong group maybe 151 would be in order? or could the brugal be considered preventative medicine?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Maybe we could team up? I've had 2 strains of Dengue (much to my chagrin--my last one was also hemmorhagic.) I'm wondering if I get the other two strains whether I can license my blood as a vaccine (it helps that I'm Rh negative too!)

Didn't I read somewhere that getting any of the dengue strains increased your vulnerability to the others?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Maybe we could team up? I've had 2 strains of Dengue (much to my chagrin--my last one was also hemmorhagic.)

probably our meeting would end in instantaneous death... if not our parasites, then us :cheeky:

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
According to the US CDC and WHO, having one strain protects you for a short time (less than a year), but there after, each successive time you "experience" a new strain (for a maximum opportunity of 4 strains--so far discovered) you are likely to suffer MORE. The question about whether one is more susceptible or not, really has to do with your exposure to the other strains. For a number of years, only one strain was circulating in the DR. It has only been since 2006 that there are more strains. It is unusual for people to develop the hemorrhagic (sorry for my previous spelling) on the first strain, but some people do.

All I know is that I'd rather undergo surgery than have Dengue again. I'm still feeling the effects of my last strain and my hair is now at the thinning post-Dengue stage (yes, that is one of the lovely little things that can go with "Breakbone Fever.")

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
what affect, if any, will the daily dosage of brugal have on parasites, or if it is a particularly strong group maybe 151 would be in order? or could the brugal be considered preventative medicine?

You actually have some validity in your point IF you drink it WHILE you are ingesting the buggers. Several years back (maybe 5-8), there was a study showing that when one drinks red wine with tainted food, the victim is much less likely to succumb to the effects of food poisoning. Now I need to go hunt for the study and find out if it is the alcohol or the tannins or something else that was responsible. Back in a bit with it.:ermm::bunny::bunny::bunny:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Okay--here is the first of a quick review. I'll need to into the journal articles to verify some of this but this is a reasonable summary of what I recall:

Food Poisoning & Drinking Alcohol
Food Poisoning & Drinking Alcohol
by David J. Hanson, Ph. D.

“Alcohol with a meal can lower the risk of food poisoning” reports the New York Times. 1 The evidence continues to grow that drinking alcoholic beverages with dinner can either prevent food poisoning or reduce its effects.

Food poisoning appears to be much more common than most people realize because they often incorrectly attribute their symptoms to flu. More serious is the fact that food poisoning can be fatal.

An outbreak of gastroenteritis leading to diarrhea, vomiting and high fever among passengers on a cruise ship was analyzed. Research indicated that the consumption of alcohol by many of the passengers may have been what prevented them from getting sick. 2

A Spanish study of an outbreak of acute salmonella gastric infection among people at a banquet found that “the protective effect of alcohol was strongest for subjects who had drunk more than 40 grams of alcohol, with attack rates being 95% for those who had not drunk alcohol, 78% for those who had drunk less than 40 grams, and 54% for those who had drunk more than 40 grams. 3 A standard drink in the U.S. contains 14 grams of alcohol. A standard drink is a can or bottle of beer (12 ounces) a glass of wine (5 ounces) or a shot of distilled spirits (1.5 ounce). Thus, three standard drinks would equal 42 grams of alcohol.

In a similar incident, Desenclos and his colleagues studied an outbreak of illness caused by people eating oysters contaminated with shigella or salmonella. The researchers found that “After controlling for potential confounders, a protective effect for beverages that have an alcohol concentration >10% was found, but no protective effect was found for beverages with an alcohol concentration <10%.” 4 Thus, it appears that the higher the alcoholic content or proof of the beverage, the more protective it is against food poisoning.

Research has also demonstrated the ability of alcohol to kill salmonella, shigella and E-coli in the laboratory. 5

“THE BOTTOM LINE: Alcohol with a meal can lower the risk of food poisoning.” 6

And here's the cautionary statement link:
Alcohol and your health: Weighing the pros and cons
;)

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i also had a thought that if they were intestinal parasites perhaps a brugal enema would be recquired because going the oral route one sees the alcohol absorbed rather quickly in the stomach. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,police officer, "have you been drinking"?,,,,,,,,,,,,"no i am being de-wormed".................if this were to catch on with young people, it might because they enjoy rap music/reggaeton so we know their brains are already screwed up, the police would have to say "fart into this balloon".

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I think I will stick to drinking one tiny bottle of Zentel liquid dewormer every 6 months. Also easy for kids without complaints. Passes through you while wiping out any parasitical worms. (and its NOT an antibiotic, it's a low-dose toxin that wipes out parasites). About RD$40 a dose in farmacias.

Tourists shouldn't have to worry about this problem while visiting. We go to El Campo to see family, they have dogs, chickens and pigs near the house, and I think this is where most people pick up these types of creatures. Either by walking barefoot on soil where livestock has been, or by receiving a tongue bath from dogs which don't receive much (or any) vet attention. Kids will be kids.

J

John Evans

how much would you expect 3 tablets of fel- 6 type thing to cost- I was a little shocked
I suppose I shouldnt be shocked as the stuff for my shingles was outrageous as well- I feel sorry for people on low wages

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
GringoCarlos, with all due respect, not everyone who reads DR1 is a tourist, and this is, after all, the Living Forum -- for those that live or want to live in the DR. For many of them, it is or may at some point be an issue.

Also, I'd like to say that I'm not at all convinced that most people, as you conjecture, pick it up from the campo or from licking dogs. The cousins I mentioned before don't have dogs and all got it while in the city -- SD, to be precise. One of them, a doctor of internal medicine, was convinced that he got it from tap water.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Sorry to stray, Keith.

My personal solution to avoid parasitical worm infestation is to proactively take a bottle of Zentel every 6 months, and whenever I have then had a stool sample tested, I have had no problems. And yes, my daughter does too, and she has then proceeded on more than one occasion to get rid of worms after taking the Zentel.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
how much would you expect 3 tablets of fel- 6 type thing to cost- I was a little shocked
I suppose I shouldnt be shocked as the stuff for my shingles was outrageous as well- I feel sorry for people on low wages

I don't know what the tablets cost. I've only ever taken the liquid & it was in the same price range as the Zentel i.e. not expensive at all, the last time I bought it. What were you quoted for the tablets?