Stomping their feet.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
"If we do not receive any of the phases, we will not play in the 2009 World Classic," Leonardo Matos Berrido, general director of the Dominican team.

Looks like some in the DR want recognition.

Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Although it's likely there are some unseemly characters involved with this mini-protest, I think the DR should get some games.

Last edited:

El sabelot?

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 7, 2008
Skipping it will be cool. It's like Brando boycotting the Oscars, Marichal refusing induction into the HOF or a polymath refusing a Nobel prize: too cool!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is hard to believe that they would take a stance like this, what with the complete and utter failure of the Caribbean Series. I see a major disconnect between the league officials down here and reality. These guys have the heads so far up the you know what - and they can't see it.

Why is it that when someone down here gets some type of power they immediately really think they can do no wrong????? Are they even aware of public opinion on the matter???

Lets hope they try it so that the mlb teams prohibit any of their players for playing ball here in the winter. Then the owners can go back to what they do best, driving carros publicos, los maiditos co?os!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
SOMEONE should let this fool know that the reason they DON'T DESERVE to get anything is because they CAN'T ORGANIZE CRAP!!!!!!

And also...you can tell them I said so...what they did with the Caribbean Series was such a disgrace NO ONE wants to go back to DR to watch ANYTHING!!!!

The only thing they've done right so far, IS developing players...but they should leave the organizing OF THESE EVENTS to THOSE WHO KNOW HOW TO DO IT RIGHT!!!!! :(:(:(

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Was the Caribbean series that bad?

I'm still surprised it wasn't a great event.

The DR baseball consigliere certainly is pulling a trump card on this one: we have a large proportion of talent, and you'll give us games.

I'm sure it would end up being a flop. I can't imagine tickets are going to be any less than $50US. That cuts out the majority of baseball fans, it not all of them.

It will be somewhat interesting to see how this plays out.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm still surprised it wasn't a great event.

The DR baseball consigliere certainly is pulling a trump card on this one: we have a large proportion of talent, and you'll give us games.

I'm sure it would end up being a flop. I can't imagine tickets are going to be any less than $50US. That cuts out the majority of baseball fans, it not all of them.

It will be somewhat interesting to see how this plays out.

How it will play out is that they will try to push it and all of a sudden they will start getting notices from individual clubs that their players cannot play in the winter league here. When they realize all the revenuesthey will loose becasue of all of the big name players unable to play, all of a sudden they will "get it".

This is typical Dominican economics/politics, they use whatever power they have to try and control the market. They just don't realize they have very few cards to play.

BTW, the tickets were US25-30 for the serie, and apparently, the only people who had money to buy them were the scalpers. What is funny, is that all of the numnut scalpers were banking on charging US100 for the final game, when in fact my brother in law couldn't even sell the ticket to the last game for US10 and ended up giving it away. After the first few games, the local people had had it with the scalpers and just decided to stay home and watch it on tv.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Chip...I was there for the series...the tickets were NOT US25-30...more like US50-70 for the good seats...

But you're right...the only people that bought those were the scalpers!!!!! You could see empty seats all over the place...that was a total disgrace!!!! And yes, people with tickets were giving them away...no one wanted to pay to go to the games!!!!

The nerve of these fools to be demanding of anything!!!!! It really ****es me off that they are doing this...

But it might turn out to be a lesson after all...

I really hope and pray they DO NOT get anything from MLB...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip...I was there for the series...the tickets were NOT US25-30...more like US50-70 for the good seats...

But you're right...the only people that bought those were the scalpers!!!!! You could see empty seats all over the place...that was a total disgrace!!!! And yes, people with tickets were giving them away...no one wanted to pay to go to the games!!!!

The nerve of these fools to be demanding of anything!!!!! It really ****es me off that they are doing this...

But it might turn out to be a lesson after all...

I really hope and pray they DO NOT get anything from MLB...

I was there too - I meant to say the prices for "each game" were as such - and as you know each ticket was valid for two games - voila, the same price you saw.

el fino

Jan 14, 2008
Fair is Fair and they should get to host some of the games, I don't know where this BS is coming from that they shouldn't be allowed to host. To not be even considered is a disgrace and if they don't play the World Classic will be less for it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Fair is Fair and they should get to host some of the games, I don't know where this BS is coming from that they shouldn't be allowed to host. To not be even considered is a disgrace and if they don't play the World Classic will be less for it.

Apparently you don't live here in Santiago. The series was a failure and a gave Santiago a black eye for sure. Sure, some of the numnut owners may think it went well because they sold all of the tickets, but the fact that stadium wasn't near at full capacity was very bad press. I don't see how you can defend them. I suppose you are ok when they have a World Baseball Classic game between the DR and Venezuela game there will be half of the seats empty. FYi, maybe the baseball owners don't care, but the rest of the baseball world does, including the mlb.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Chip- I agree with you. I wanted to go to Santiago and catch some of those games, but what everyone was posting scared us off. I thought the CS was going to be a mess for more typical DR reasons- failed infrastrcture, traffic, power outages, etc. But the scalpers, who are low on the human food chain- screwed themselves! I think a lot of people from the US were scared off by the fact they couldn't get tickets beforehand and didn't feel like dealing with tigre scalpers. Then, the scalpers ended up with a John Holmes size wad of tickets in a buyers market, and panicked. The organizers couldn't be happy- what about all the lost revenue for concessions, not to mention the feeling you were watching a Royals- Devil Rays game in Tampa???

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm sure if The DR gets some of the games they won't be played in Santiago. Either way I do agree with you guys about poor organization and the Caribbean Series being a complete failure (their own doing). It wouldn't be good these games being played in The DR. I would prefer they are played in US cities where there are large populations of Dominicans, Mexicans, Japanese, etc (NY City, LA, etc) then you'll see lots of people attending.

If they get played in The DR Dominicans won't go to any game where The DR is not playing and even those where The DR is playing a lot of people don't care about because they feel a lot of the better Dominican players aren't allowed to play thus is eschewed in favor of Cuba, The US, etc...

el fino

Jan 14, 2008
The people weren't packing the stadium not just because the tickets were high, I'll give you that one; but because the Mexican and Venezuelan teams were weak and Licey and Agilas had played for the national championship already so people weren't as interested as they would otherwise.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I want to disagree with you.

The people weren't packing the stadium not just because the tickets were high, I'll give you that one; but because the Mexican and Venezuelan teams were weak and Licey and Agilas had played for the national championship already so people weren't as interested as they would otherwise.
I really don't want to believe that, but I'm sure it contributed. I know the VZ team was a shadow of itself, and no PR.

I'm not sure games in the DR would be a good idea. Fun? Yes, for sure. Successful financially? Certainly not, if you've followed any recent history there. If it happens at all, my hunch is it will be done once, and a complete bust; a few scumbags will make a killing, others will get financially raped, and the MLB will not come back any time soon.

Success would require everyone from the city planning level, to the highest of baseball offices to work together to insure it was a success. I don't think there is much of a track record to base any hope on.

I would imagine those complaining the most would benefit the most if DR were a host.

Personally, I think they should blow the whole idea up. Maybe once every 10 years it might be entertaining, but why pit countries against one another? Isn't that what the Olympics are about? After China, I don't think we'll ever want another Olympics anyway.

From MLB, to the mouthpiece of DR baseball, it's all about one thing and one thing only. $!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Personally, I think they should blow the whole idea up. Maybe once every 10 years it might be entertaining, but why pit countries against one another? Isn't that what the Olympics are about? After China, I don't think we'll ever want another Olympics anyway.

From MLB, to the mouthpiece of DR baseball, it's all about one thing and one thing only. $!

Cleef...I'm gonna have to disagree with you here...much as I hate to do that...

This World Baseball Classic is actually what a REAL WORLD SERIES should be...and NOT what they play here every year at the end of the season...you know that...

The only reason this is about $$$ and NOT about baseball is because ALL sports here in the US are JUST about that... $$$

But how great is it to be able to see teams from all over the world competing for the HONOR to be declared TRULY WORLD champions!!!! (Just as in f?tbol/soccer!)

Unfortunately, you're right about the $$$ thing...and this will NEVER amount to anything more than that...but I don't think they should do away with the WBC... :ermm:

They only thing they SHOULD do away with is having ANY games played in DR...:tired:

MQ

el fino

Jan 14, 2008
I really don't want to believe that, but I'm sure it contributed. I know the VZ team was a shadow of itself, and no PR.

I'm not sure games in the DR would be a good idea. Fun? Yes, for sure. Successful financially? Certainly not, if you've followed any recent history there. If it happens at all, my hunch is it will be done once, and a complete bust; a few scumbags will make a killing, others will get financially raped, and the MLB will not come back any time soon.

Success would require everyone from the city planning level, to the highest of baseball offices to work together to insure it was a success. I don't think there is much of a track record to base any hope on.

I would imagine those complaining the most would benefit the most if DR were a host.

I think that it can be done, it just needs the MLB to nudge it along and help it out. The whole thing is to promote baseball internationally right? if so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense just to have the games in US cities (that includes PR) they should spread the wealth around.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on getting rid of the World Classic;I think it only makes it more interesting if you got teams playing each other for national pride, not $$$$.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
First round sites are chosen

Doesn't look like the DR will get any phases of the tourney.

Puerto Rico is the closest.

I can't see them boycotting.