Stop being so sensitive Dominicans, it's STUPID!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I guess its an European thing because even in the US or in any language I think its offensive to be called stupid, especially from a stranger. lol

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Actually, I find it "stupid" for someone to move to a different country and not learn enough of the local lingo to avoid offending people.:ermm:

That will be the overwhelming majority of expats in this country then? Probably right come to think of it.

Actually my conversational banter with the locals is better than most foreigners I've come across, just a few things I have issues with or still trying to get my head around. Spending 24/7 with absolutely no English influence other than this site in my life I've had to, thought the stupid thing may be a comon ground, and by the looks of the responses, is!

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
I think it's absolute rubbish for you to use the word "stupid" in the DR, you silly wanker! (I'm kidding, but does anyone from the UK now feel insulted?)

In the DR, why don't you just say "que vaina" ? That way no one takes offense, you can say it in front of people from ANY class, and they will just smile and keep moving.

Mar 1, 2009
Estupido is a really, really harsh word to use in DR Anatacio. It hurts me to even say it, ESTUPIDO. Say PARIGUAYO. Or a word I use to hear this mean old man say to my brother when we we're kids. 'Ven aca e que tu ere griego'?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Estupido is a really, really harsh word to use in DR Anatacio. It hurts me to even say it, ESTUPIDO. Say PARIGUAYO. Or a word I use to hear this mean old man say to my brother when we we're kids. 'Ven aca e que tu ere griego'?
I found this out also. I can use the "f" word with less discomfort from mi esposa than "stupid." Not sure what it is, but is really harsh as you say...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Actually, I find it "stupid" for someone to move to a different country and not learn enough of the local lingo to avoid offending people.:ermm:
Generally I'd agree - but in this case even fluent Spanish speakers might make this mistake - it's cultural, not linguistic.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Another word that has a different meaning in Spain - bruto there is closer to the English "brute". It means someone who is uncouth, not stupid.

Maybe this should go to Spanish 101...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You can't imagine the confusion I would have with guapa and wondering why she would call me sexy when I was in a mood for whatever reason. Funny how two words of the same language can mean complete opposites, guapa/guapo, sexy, good looking/****ed off , angry. I presume they are of the same spelling? Never learnt to read or write Spanish properly.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
beautiful, angry or both

You can't imagine the confusion I would have with guapa and wondering why she would call me sexy when I was in a mood for whatever reason. Funny how two words of the same language can mean complete opposites, guapa/guapo, sexy, good looking/****ed off , angry. I presume they are of the same spelling? Never learnt to read or write Spanish properly.

Same here, for a while, I thought I was still the hottest chick in town even when I was mad :cheeky:

What a disappointment, when I realized the double meaning :disappoin (same spelling)

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Generally I'd agree - but in this case even fluent Spanish speakers might make this mistake - it's cultural, not linguistic.

That's why I used the term local lingo, which would reflect the local culture. I'm not just talking about learning spanish. I'm talking about learning enough about how the locals speak it to avoid offending them.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That's why I used the term local lingo, which would reflect the local culture. I'm not just talking about learning spanish. I'm talking about learning enough about how the locals speak it to avoid offending them.

I agree with you 100%. The same people who gripe about people not learning to speak English in US or UK are sometimes the same people who go to another country and get annoyed when people can't speak English.

Now, I said 'sometimes', so I hope there aren't 15 people who are going to post how wonderfully assimilated they are and how much Spanish they speak.

Those of you who are married to Dominicans have an advantage, you have someone to coach you as to many of the do's and do not's of a situation. Take advantage of that!

AE

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No offense but using "stupid" in a American professional environment would be "stupid" for your career advancement. There are many words and phrases and combinations that one needs to learn in Spanish in order to not offend. I've been through this as most who are learning a language. Learn and adapt or your life won't be easy with Dominicans.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You know I just read the whole thread and I can't believe some of the stuff the OP has said to Dominicans without expecting a reaction. If he did this in English in the States he might get slapped. I've got to wonder where he's from where they throw around stupid so easily. Maybe he's not a native English speaker that would explain it.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
I guess its an European thing because even in the US or in any language I think its offensive to be called stupid, especially from a stranger. lol

This has been my understanding as well. I mean, of course I've used the term "stupid" when joking around with close friends or family. But where I grew up, you don't call a stranger stupid unless you are trying to insult their intelligence. At best, it's considered rude. Saying it to the wrong individual, however, could get you asked to step outside for a chat.

But then, I've heard that we don't speak the Queen's english in the southern states.:tired: