stopped by AMET in Santiago

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
When they are on foot I try not to stop in the first place unless they stand in the road in front of the car. I just wave and act like I didn't understand. At that time I'm just a gringo that knows no Spanish and it looks like a friendly wave.

I have been stopped a couple of times and I already knew I was wrong. In those cases I did like Gorgon. $500 pesos between the docs. Some people here have said $100 is enough, but I've only done $500.

On occassions where I had to stop for simple checkpoints, not doing anything wrong, I would give the docs with no cash. Sometimes, not always, I would then be asked for a "donation" after they said everything was good and gave my docs back. I just say sorry I don't have it, maybe next time.

Of course, I am speaking to them in Spanish and we can both understand each other completely.

In your case you are pretty sure you didn't do anything wrong but they said you did. I haven't had that happen to me yet, but as a previous poster said video camera, record name, etc. I do carry a camera most of the time just in case I need it, but I haven't had to use it for anything like that yet.

If I think I'm being scammed like that I would refuse to pay and ask them to explain to me better what they think I did wrong while the camera is running. That would likely lead them to taking my car and having me go to their station to pay and get it back.

I would take some more video of the street and any stop lights around in case there wasn't one close by and head to talk to the boss with my video. Might still have to pay at that point to get the car back so maybe a lot of hassle for nothing and that may be more than some people would want to deal with but I devote a lot of time to principle things like that. I don't like nor tolerate people just blatantly scamming me.

After that all you have left is to report it to your Embassy and to through the local chain of command and the local prosecutors office which probably will get you no recourse or you can drop it and go on about your day.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I actually have to agree with you here 2010 if your doing something wrong especially outside of Playeros in Sosua you gotta either take the ticket or offer the bribe. Whenever I travel in Sosua, Puerto Plata ,Santiago or the Capital I always make sure my seat belt is on and Im not using the phone.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Also I have experimented with talking English vs Spanish when stopped its 50 50 for me sometimes the English works or makes you more of a target at least with the Spanish they understand that you understand them and makes it harder for them to screw you over.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
next time you have that issue, here is how you do it. or, rather, how we did it. when you take out your documents, make sure you have a 500 peso bill conveniently placed amid the paperwork. end of story. do not make it obvious, because AMET prides themselves in the BELIEF that they are honest, and that they are the only people in the DR who are not on the take. as long as it is not in plain sight, they are just as broke and needy as the next guy. and, yes, they will make you leave your car, and take public transportation to the Palacio de Justicia to go and dispose of the fine, which itself is a harrowing process that could take hours. no schlub street patrol guy is going to eschew taking a nickel because it offends his sense of morality and civic propriety. he cannot spend that when the propane tank goes empty.

500 pesos?!!? You are ruin it for us all!!... most of these guys earn less than 10000 pesos a month... 50, 100 or max 200... if there is any issues..."for their good service and standing in the rain/sun..." if they ask... Then u get a Feliz viaje...

500 pesos... you are crazy... They would stop every gringo they see...

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
500 pesos?!!? You are ruin it for us all!!... most of these guys earn less than 10000 pesos a month... 50, 100 or max 200... if there is any issues..."for their good service and standing in the rain/sun..." if they ask... Then u get a Feliz viaje...

And then they'll accept no less!

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Also I have experimented with talking English vs Spanish when stopped its 50 50 for me sometimes the English works or makes you more of a target at least with the Spanish they understand that you understand them and makes it harder for them to screw you over.
Sorry didn't mean to confuse anyone. I never, ever speak in English to them. I meant that as they are waving and I haven't stopped yet I just wave back with my pale white face looking like any other English speaking gringo that doesn't know any better.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013

Yep, I've learned my lesson. Everybody on here says the same thing. Next time I'll try $100. But I don't drive much right now.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
I was pulled over for speeding yesterday on my way to Punta Cana by Amet believe it or not! What is this country coming to? lol Thats one of the reasons I love living here, I hope this doesn't start happening.
I didnt have a bad word to say about the Amet officer. To be fair I was in the wrong, he clocked be with the radar gun doing 130 in an 80 zone... he showed me and asked to see me documents, I was very polite and said I m sorry in my broken Spanish. He had a ticket in his hand to write out but in the end just told me to slow down and have a safe journey...

No bribes, nothing - Im thinking it might just be because it was SS - it was Amet not Policia Nacional...

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I?ve been pulled over a couple times in Santiago. Once it was seatbelt and another for unknown reasons. When I hand over the documents I simply insert a laminated card given to me by my brother -in-law...He is a captain in charge of one of the garrisons here. The amet guy sees it and instantly wants to be my fren. Sometimes who you know works better than cash.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Returning home late one night from La Canela to Santiago, got stopped at a road-block near the bridge. The guy approached my s.u.v had a dirty uniform on, was unshaven, and was carrying a pistil grip shotgun that looked like it had been left out on the salty beach for 5 years. I did not have a problem per-say however my girl friend did all the talking and I could not understand the Spanish slang .When I later drove off my girlfriend said I would have had a big problem had she not been with me. She said the guy was very desperate and she was getting concerned. She told him we were returning home from a political fund raiser. I try to limit my driving outside of downtown after dark.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I never recommend bribes because it just continues to add fuel to the fire of corruption here. I realize one person not bribing is a pittance, but it's what I can do. That said, if a bribe is demanded (happened to me once) in a pretty open way then I'm also not stupid enough to get in a fight about it.

Typically I use the "I do not speak Spanish" routine. Just keep saying it, talk about the weather or the color of your shoes. Soon enough they will get annoyed and wave you on.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Unless you're doing something wrong or know you did something wrong, you dont give these mouthbreathers a cent. If you paid the AMET directly, you were scammed. AMETs supposedly do not touch fine money. So what really happened is you were scammed out of $40USD by a POS with a gun. Hmmm sounds like an armed robbery to me.... lol

Now, if you are in the wrong, and you know you're breaking the law, pay up, with a smile and lots of si, se?or, y mi hermanos and all that BS....

I havent had a valid license since two months after arriving here 15+ years ago. Been pulled over by lots of PN and mostly get out of it by just being "cool" with them. Luckily only been pulled over by AMETs a few times and have always been able to talk my way out of it within a couple seconds. The dumb gringo thing only works a few times or in certain situations, the smartest thing to do is act like the pig is an old friend, ask how hes doing, show compassion for their "plight" (the bs of standing in the middle of the road at night looking for tigueres) lol, and then they'll ask for a propina, you say, mi hermano ojala , hasta que cobre el 15 estoy sin uno (my brother, i wish i could but im without a dime until pay day). In other words, use dominican tigueraje against them....

Now im not suggesting anyone live here without valid papers (would love to be legal but the $$$ situation for me has always kept me illegal) but im just saying, use your head, outsmart him. He eats platano everyday for godsakes.... :)

They're just looking for their next meal ticket. Unless you did something wrong, no one should be able to convince you otherwise.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

you are extremely right. that is no different than the actions of nitwit gringos who offer girls 100 dollars for a quickie, making it difficult for guys who live here to get it for the Dominican price.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
you are extremely right. that is no different than the actions of nitwit gringos who offer girls 100 dollars for a quickie, making it difficult for guys who live here to get it for the Dominican price.

Exactly correct. Its getting harder (as in more difficult) to get the "two chica for one" price anymore.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Got stopped the other day in santiago in my suv. The amet guy says, u know why I sttopped u. no. because ure windows and winscereen are dyed black. I tell him I bought the car like that, new in a concession. He answers one cant ignore the law.I point out that every other car around us has black windows..... He wants to take us in to check the ar at amet HQ... My wife says to me in french that he just wants a bribe, I say no way. She hits him hard in spanish, he s ansewering back as fast as a machine gun... I say OK, lets go to HQ, Ive done nothing wrong. He becomes friendly explains all the hassle if we do that, why not do it the easy way.... I say no lets go, he says open the back door and lets go. I ask him if he thought I was a taxi, take ure own car. Amet guy says Im being disrespectful, my wife says let him in, he gets in the back, my wife takes picture with camera and calls licenciada. Licien iada says hes in ure car, no problem we an show his boss he will be out of a job, hand phone over to amet, he asks me to pull over, he gets out in the pouring rain and wishes me a good day.......

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Just to be fair, 2 years ago same place in santiago amet guy pulls me over cos I didnt have my seatbelt on. He explains its obligatory and can save ure life. Wishes me well and tells me to drive saftley and enjoy my stay........ So some are crooks and others are normal guys doing a job...

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
We were stopped by AMET in Santiago on our first trip there in a car. We were in the right side lane, in very slow trafffic. The AMET looked at us and told us to pull over. Asked us where we were from , and we said we lived a few hours away. The checked the papers and said we ran a red light. I don't see how we could have. The said the fine was $1500 pesos and were going to take the car. We ended up paying then the cash . My question is Can they take the car or is it just a ticket. When can they take the car??? I had a foreign drivers licence. Any info would be appreciated for the next time tks
OF course we don't want to go there anymore . If we do go there again, it would be very early in the day because later in the day you are screwed if you are from out of town. .

There?s no reason why he would take the car. He?s supposed to give you a ticket which you can pay later, and NOT TO HIM! You really got screwed!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Got stopped the other day in santiago in my suv. The amet guy says, u know why I sttopped u. no. because ure windows and winscereen are dyed black. I tell him I bought the car like that, new in a concession. He answers one cant ignore the law.I point out that every other car around us has black windows..... He wants to take us in to check the ar at amet HQ... My wife says to me in french that he just wants a bribe, I say no way. She hits him hard in spanish, he s ansewering back as fast as a machine gun... I say OK, lets go to HQ, Ive done nothing wrong. He becomes friendly explains all the hassle if we do that, why not do it the easy way.... I say no lets go, he says open the back door and lets go. I ask him if he thought I was a taxi, take ure own car. Amet guy says Im being disrespectful, my wife says let him in, he gets in the back, my wife takes picture with camera and calls licenciada. ien iadaLic says hes in ure car, no problem we an show his boss he will be out of a job, hand phone over to amet, he asks me to pull over, he gets out in the pouring rain and wishes me a good day.......

Thats very useful information...... they always want to get in the car

malko

Jan 12, 2013
to ww: I ve no knowledge of law on whether they are allowed into ure car or not. My lawyer, nice lady friend of my wife who happens to be a lawyer, told us Amet are trying to cut down on corruption. So as long as ure a law abbiding citizen dont pay.
The funny thing is a handed over my french driving license, and lesrned later that day at la migration zone norte that I cant drive more than month in dr with new immigration law. Also I had no vignette thing..... If he had started off on that I would have giving him 200 pesos, but he really thought I was an idiot, he only came over to us at the trafficlight cos Im white. And that just annoys me....