Stopped this afternoon by 2 cops at Sosua for money

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
You do not need a PN captain, although it cannot hurt. A CESTUR sergeant will do.

We should all meet every few months and trade cards. Like Baseball cards when we were 12.

"I'll give you a corporal and a sarge for your Colonel" It'd be fun.

I know a guy with a Generals card. He's very protective of it. You know who you are.

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
National Police

We arrived at our condo on Saturday and met someone from Canada who had been renting in Cabarete for a month. They told us they will never return because they were pulled over once and asked for money by the National Police Officer and had been subjected to 2 police checkpoint stops. Well on Sunday evening around 5 pm as we were driving to Sosua from Cabarete there were at least 8-10 National Police at a checkpoint and we got the same third degree. This will not be good for tourism and certainly will be another obstacle to getting people to come back or speak highly of the North Coast. I think the only option is for the business community to pressure the government officials to tell the National Police to end the aggressive behavior. Anyone else notice that this is becoming a problem?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've lived full-time in Cabarete for over 12 years. I usually go to Sosua at least once or twice a week. I have seen check points set up(normal for any where here in the DR), but I have never been pulled over and asked for money. Only rarely have I even had to stop and show my papers. Maybe I'm just lucky(?).

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Most of the police in this country are scum.
They behave like criminals with badges. I've
been thrown in jail here more than once, without
being charged with a crime, for refusing to give
them money.

Why not just give them 200 pesos and avoid it?
Because once they see you are an easy mark you
become their personal ATM machine. Now when they
see me they don't ask me for money because they
know I'm not giving them a damn thing.

This is a nation wide problem.
http://www.citysantiago.com/2018/09...ntra-ldquocamion-del-terrorrdquo#.W46WCST0ldg

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Foreigners in rental cars are targets of opportunity followed closely by foreigners driving any vehicle. Sad reality is that corrupt officials are everywhere on the island. Largish roadblocks comprised of the PN, the military, DGISETT (sp?) and immigration are usually not shakedowns. Single agency roadblocks could be legit or might not be.

The only way to avoid the risk is to choose not to drive here. Convenience has a price. Pay that to the cops or to the guagua drivers, your choice.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I would never recommend to a "newbie" to try and play "Mr. Tough Guy" with the police. Pay the 200 pesos and enjoy your day. We're only talking about $4 USD here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
oh, woe is me. i got pulled over by a cop in a traffic stop, and he wanted me to give him 100 pesos, because he said that he was ''thirsty''. such extortion. 2 whole dollars.

not everyone is ready to leave home...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We have all been stopped. They asked for "refrescos". But they can get away with it and it is common place is what tells you a lot about the DR.

Everyone (or 90%) are working their own gringo scam on way or the other.
Be it a car repair shop, a lawyer, a cop, or a girl who tells you you are her 'one and only' (interpret one of a dozen) or 'querido amigo', interpret as her mother is going to need major surgery soon..............

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
those pesky cell phone.....always needing replacement.....and at the same time my fathers medicine is at the farmacia........

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
This is the nature of the beast.

The DR is a poor country and military and police get pennies for their work as pay thus they have to come up with ideas to make up for the short fall.

I pay, move on, happy I go.

That is how the entire country rolls in everything.

If you thing you are gonna make a difference and change anything here, consider moving to the middle east next, perhaps you might end up contributing to the cease of the conflicts over that way?

Libya, Afghanistan, Palestine?

Or stay here, pay 5 USD and have a blast drinking jumbo Presidentes.

:)

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Get it, small amount to pay but for some it can be some what of a nerve wrecking experience. Those not use to living here or accustom to the ins/outs it may even be a scary experience. So while yes it is a small amount to pay, having to go through the experience does not always set well with some.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Get it, small amount to pay but for some it can be some what of a nerve wrecking experience. Those not use to living here or accustom to the ins/outs it may even be a scary experience. So while yes it is a small amount to pay, having to go through the experience does not always set well with some.

well then, the trick is to learn to get used to it. just remember that you are no longer in Bumfuk, Montana, and these little caribbean natives do have some funny little customs, such as trying to squeeze out a few pesos from people whom they think have it to spare. in the preponderant majority of cases, they are applying no threat , nor force...just letting you know they could use 2 dollars.

it always makes me laugh when i read these lamentations over 200 pesos from guys who buy their novias 40,000 peso passolas, and when these princesses come up pregnant the DNA always seems to point to Fausto, the motoconcho jockey.

at least the cop only took them for 2 bucks, while they are busy trying to get Belkis a visa to go to Boise. as soon as she gets there, she will end up missing in Washington Heights. that's a whole lot more than 2 bucks, from where i look.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
FWIW
When this problem confronts me,
I usually slow down , smile politely point at my up to date stickers as I drive slowly through the posse

If it's a refresco posse - this usually works
If it's for real... they make it clear----- and stop me

Generally gets me through

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It should come as no surprise that some are steadfast in their convictions be they legal, ethical, religious or political. Some principles can be bent in the right circumstance for the right reasons but rarely do people toss their core beliefs completely asunder.

I suspect the amounts of the PN solicitations is not the primary objection. We all know people who stand for very little save their own self interests. Others choose to look for a different path just because that's who they are. I can recall several DRones that have expressed corruption as one of the reasons they chose to leave this country.

Sad reality is that the police are corrupt and intentionally profile foreigners. Hope springs eternal that someday this will no longer be the case. Until then, we all cope as our belief structure dictates.

Last edited:

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
As our real estate agent in LT reminds us...the community here is fairly close knit, and the locals have good memories. They know who the gringo a-holes are and they know who here really contributes to the community and will be there when you need them. I think this goes for the police as well. It may be difficult for some to stomach but contributing a couple dollars to the "policeman's ball" is a small price to pay for your community reputation, and perhaps future needs.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It's similar to the guys who wash (!) your windows at traffic lights. While I don't appreciate their attentions, I usually give them 10 pesos. At least they're working for their money rather than robbing people.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As our real estate agent in LT reminds us...the community here is fairly close knit, and the locals have good memories. They know who the gringo a-holes are and they know who here really contributes to the community and will be there when you need them. I think this goes for the police as well. It may be difficult for some to stomach but contributing a couple dollars to the "policeman's ball" is a small price to pay for your community reputation, and perhaps future needs.

you don't need to be stuck out in the back of Bumfcuk at midnight, with a flat tire, and the guy who pulls up is the cop who you refused to give 2 dollars a week ago, because you do not promote corruption. not only might he just wish you a pleasant evening as he continues on his way, but 4 guys on a Loncin might show up in 10 minutes...

get the idea?