Stopped this afternoon by 2 cops at Sosua for money

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The DR is a poor country and military and police get pennies for their work as pay thus they have to come up with ideas to make up for the short fall.

Common misconception. This country is not poor, its mismanaged by a
well organized gang of thieves. Unfortunately most people here believe
this cheap bill of goods the corrupt politians have sold these folks. Not me.

I do not give money to PN anymore when / if asked. These scumbags knew exactly
how much they would be paid when they signed up for this sh*t.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Common misconception. This country is not poor, its mismanaged.
Unfortunately most people here believe this cheap bill of goods the
corrupt politians have sold these folks. Not me.

I do not give money to PN anymore when / if asked. These scumbags knew exactly
how much they would be paid when they signed up for this sh*t.

i love it when foreigners come to places like these and give us lectures about guys knowing how much they would be getting when they took the jobs. as if they don't come from countries where cops and politicians take under the table money. i mean, look at how much money senators and congressmen make in the US, and look how much ''lobbying'' money they take.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
i love it when foreigners come to places like these and give us lectures about guys knowing how much they would be getting when they took the jobs. as if they don't come from countries where cops and politicians take under the table money. i mean, look at how much money senators and congressmen make in the US, and look how much ''lobbying'' money they take.

Lecture?
Try this one. Ya want a supplemental income, get a second job.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Lecture?

actually, not. you are the guys with the lectures. the guys who move here, from wherever, and try to decide what the morality should be. how people should live. what the sociocultural expectations should be...cultural colonization. the people live their lives, are happy with the way they are, then a bunch of guys want to tell them that they should change.

i think they call it ''entitlement''.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Lecture?

Imma have to agree with Cristo Rey on this one ...
Find a second Job,.,. use your " Connects" to learn a TRADE.. open a business.. a Calmado, a Nudie bar .. anything.. if you are a PN.. you got a LOT of INSIDE Info .. and a lot of connections ..

but Setting of Roadblocks in the middle of the Night , to pull over rental Cars and SCAM tourists out of their Money
.... no, excuse me ... to TERRORIZE Tourists into Giving you money, for fear of being ARRESTED of worse... is NOT A LEGIT BUSINESS MODEL ,, in any way shape or form...

and to SUPPORT such Criminal Activity ... speak volumes of the people who think this is " Ok" to do

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
The moto should be try not to pay one dollar for nothing, if you can help it, no service received, no fault committed, no reason to pay. Yes of course, when you have to pay and have no alternative (for various reasons), then so be it. Volunteering money for nothing is a fools game - imagine if you paid every beggar over here... !

The window washers will be double or triple in numbers next week if it was so profitable and PN stopping you every minute of the day, the reason they don't is: not everyone is paying that 10 peso or two dollars etc. .... (and may well they continue not to pay.)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Imma have to agree with Cristo Rey on this one ...
Find a second Job,.,. use your " Connects" to learn a TRADE.. open a business.. a Calmado, a Nudie bar .. anything.. if you are a PN.. you got a LOT of INSIDE Info .. and a lot of connections ..

but Setting of Roadblocks in the middle of the Night , to pull over rental Cars and SCAM tourists out of their Money
.... no, excuse me ... to TERRORIZE Tourists into Giving you money, for fear of being ARRESTED of worse... is NOT A LEGIT BUSINESS MODEL ,, in any way shape or form...

and to SUPPORT such Criminal Activity ... speak volumes of the people who think this is " Ok" to do

well, nice to see that the content of the discourse has been degraded by infantile attempts at ad hominems by the man who cannot seem to make a point without screaming at people, then adding in his spiteful and juvenile ad hominems.

no cop threatens anyone for a propina.. i rented my first apartment in this country when Balaguer was president. i defer only to people like Alter Ego when it comes to the matter of longevity here. i have never met anyone who has been forced to give any cop a propina, and i am not one of the guys who comes here twice a year for a few weeks, and thinks he knows.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The moto should be try not to pay one dollar for nothing, if you can help it, no service received, no fault committed, no reason to pay. Yes of course, when you have to pay and have no alternative (for various reasons), then so be it. Volunteering money for nothing is a fools game - imagine if you paid every beggar over here... !

The window washers will be double or triple in numbers next week if it was so profitable and PN stopping you every minute of the day, the reason they don't is: not everyone is paying that 10 peso or two dollars etc. .... (and may well they continue not to pay.)

people have been giving cops propinas since Trujillo. if we were to use your notion of exponential increase, everyone should be a police officer seeking a propina by now. you believe that if a few expats give a cop 2 dollars today, that by 2020 the condition will be overwhelming?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Tourists visiting their FIRST time, renting Car first time in DR, Driving at night , First Time .. being stopped by a Roadblock ,. and asked for money...

I highly doubt they see it your way ... but you are entitled to your opinion of course ...

Also please kindly stop with the personal remarks .... I think the mods talked to us about that sort of thing ...

no one is screaming at you ... I have a Vision problem which requires daily medicine and frequent Eye doctor visits, Laser Surgery , etc to avoid Blindness,, so i use caps sometimes ..
or do you also have a problem with people who have disabilities ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Tourists visiting their FIRST time, renting Car first time in DR, Driving at night , First Time .. being stopped by a Roadblock ,. and asked for money...

I highly doubt they see it your way ... but you are entitled to your opinion of course ...

Also please kindly stop with the personal remarks .... I think the mods talked to us about that sort of thing ...

no one is screaming at you ... I have a Vision problem which requires daily medicine and frequent Eye doctor visits, Laser Surgery , etc to avoid Blindness,, so i use caps sometimes ..
or do you also have a problem with people who have disabilities ?

personal remarks?

are you not the guy who talks about peope who support the paradigm, and what it says about them?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
personal remarks?

are you not the guy who talks about peope who support the paradigm, and what it says about them?

by the way, not because people can make an argument to explain an activity means that they support it. there is a difference.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
people have been giving cops propinas since Trujillo. if we were to use your notion of exponential increase, everyone should be a police officer seeking a propina by now. you believe that if a few expats give a cop 2 dollars today, that by 2020 the condition will be overwhelming?

Exactly noted; "a few expats", let's leave it that, you and a few others, the rest of us won't, please don't encourage more, you never know... !

As I said I pay/bribe the cops if I get myself into trouble or they hold me by force and/or I need to get out of a situation, sure I bribe, if I can't help it. But volunteering money just because he feels like it and asks for it, nahhhhh....

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
i have never met anyone who has been forced to give any cop a propina, and i am not one of the guys who comes here twice a year for a few weeks, and thinks he knows.

Really, you haven't been out much then, or never drive or ride.... or get drunk !

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Exactly noted; "a few expats", let's leave it that, you and a few others, the rest of us won't, please don't encourage more, you never know... !

As I said I pay/bribe the cops if I get myself into trouble or they hold me by force and/or I need to get out of a situation, sure I bribe, if I can't help it. But volunteering money just because he feels like it and asks for it, nahhhhh....

Uzin, i hear you. i have no beef with you. i am a third world man...a caribbean man. i understand these cultural paradigms. we know cops make nothing, so we pitch in. when i go to the bank to withdraw money, i occasionally give the security guard a 100 peso bill. not every day, not every week, but once in a while. in Jamaica, we call it ''squeezing off''.
to me i do not understand the sturm und drang about giving a cop 2 bucks. i really do not. how often do you get stopped per year?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You are wrong. They most certainly do.
This is common knowledge amongst Dominicans.

well, i have been familiar with this country since the 1980s, and i have never had an experience in which a cop threatened me for a propina. i also do not know anyone who has been forced. that is not to say it has never happened..

want stories about cops threatening people for propinas? go talk to some drug dealers in the US and Canada.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
you don't need to be stuck out in the back of Bumfcuk at midnight, with a flat tire, and the guy who pulls up is the cop who you refused to give 2 dollars a week ago, because you do not promote corruption. not only might he just wish you a pleasant evening as he continues on his way, but 4 guys on a Loncin might show up in 10 minutes...

get the idea?

What I'm talkin about. I get both sides of the argument, but I choose to face reality, and make as many friends as I can in DR :D

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What I'm talkin about. I get both sides of the argument, but I choose to face reality, and make as many friends as I can in DR :D

it is the third world. you have to learn how to live here. i read all these threads here where expats are asking for recommendations on good lawyers to expedite their residency process. heck...i got my residence and cedula in 2004 without paying a lawyer a peso. as a matter of fact, i was in NYC, and i got an email to come pick it up. you see, i helped a guy get something done, and his niece worked at the immigration offices right off the malecon. i took care of her, but it did not cost me any 2500 USD.

one day, some idiot on a motoconcho might run into your car. who shows up but officer Moises, the guy whom you refused to give 100 pesos, because you are so morally upstanding. all of a sudden, he saw the whole thing. so, your car ends up impounded at AMET for some arcane nonsense, and you end up paying all kinds of hospital bills, and other bad stuff.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Really, you haven't been out much then, or never drive or ride.... or get drunk !

Or driving on the way to the AIRPORT with Luggage in Clear view , and asked if I had GUNS in the car ..
Guns ?? Really ? on my way to the Airport ? Really

The HINT was they could search the Car , if they were so inclined ...
I gave them NOTHING... I wanted to find out how far they were gonna push it ...

and to tell the truth, it was not Bravado, I secretly wanted to stay a couple more days anyway... but nothing happened .