Strange expat comminity in Bavaro

LaMorena

May 6, 2012
Complaining is not exclusive to gringos. I've know some top-notch Dominican complainers, complaining incessantly about their country and their contemporaries. But as pointed out above, a gringo dare not comment for fear of being accused of having feelings of superiority.
Exactly. When I tell Dominicans that I would like to live in DR full time, it is I who ends up in a 30 minute debate defending THEIR country. I have been told that I am crazy and need professional help, these comments are from DOMINICANS!!!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
All Depends one where you live in Bavaro and who are your friends. Ive run into a few Expats barely surviving, or living 3 and 4 deep in one bedroom apartments trying to make it big in Real-Estate, or some other scheme.. Best to make your money outside of the Country and enjoy your time on the Beach/Golf Course, without the daily stresses of trying to navigate through a mine field of deception and fraud... Choose your friends wisely, or even better bring your own from home...

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
After living in Santo Domingo for over 8 years, Punta Cana was a breath of relief. No, it's not for everyone, a lot of people last 6 months then pack it up and leave but some manage to make it work. After going from a non-a/c tiny apartment with rarely any electricity, water iffy, 35-50 minute public transportation ride to work every day to a nice, almost new apartment with 2 a/cs, work 1.5 minutes away, electricity and water on 99.99% of the time and a non-stressful environment, it'll be hard to get me to leave. The friends that I have are few but cherished and are a mix of expats and dominicans, all working in the area. I've met plenty of expats thinking they've hit the big load in this area, only to limp away a few months later when they weren't able to MAKE things go their way. Of course, at that point it's the DR's fault for not making their dream come true and spending all their money even though they didn't do any research before coming down and didn't have any good (legal) contacts in the area to help them out.

You have to be ready to adapt to the area or you'll be unhappy. It's as simple as that. You also need to have a good, steady income in order to live the type of life you want. I for one don't go out that much (passed that point several years ago...) and therefore my extra expenses aren't all that high. But for someone that likes to eat out several times a week, go party, go do activities, it ain't cheap!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just because somebody is an expat doesn't mean he/she is somebody you want anything to do with. I know expats whose idea of a good day is to set in a bar with others like them and complain about life in the Dominican Republic. These are people I would not have socialized with in the US, either.
Word...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Hanging out because of a common language has potential "fail" written all over it.

The % of expats one may be attracted to socially is the same % as where the expat comes from; however, the numbers are much smaller.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The DR attracts a certain type of expat that are best avoided. This list is far from conclusive, and should not be taken to mean that all expats fall under any one of these categories-

1) The retired drunkard with money. An old survey mentioned in GQ magazine noted that over 70% of all expats are or become alcoholics once they have settled into their new country. They can be found sitting in some bar surrounded by other red-faced gringos complaining about Dominican women only wanting money, despite the consequences from hanging out almost exclusively with low-class, uneducated whores eluding them.

2) The retired drunkard with NO money. He'll always be looking to mooch off someone and never stops bothering others. Eventually he may try to scam you while in cahoots with local Dominicans just to get your money, either through a confidence scheme, an orchestrated break-in robbery or physical violence upon your person.

3) The crook on the lam. Respectable on the outside, but on the run from the law in their own country. A crook never changes his stripes-whatever he did to someone in his own country, once he gets comfortable he'll attempt to continue his actions in the DR.

4) The sexual deviant/serial trolloper. Anyone who is single has a right to a good time however they see fit if co-mingling with other consenting adults, but someone whose driving force for relocating to the DR is cheap and easy sex ain't someone you want to befriend. Some expats take it to the extreme and become the worst kind of perverts, all while attempting to maintain a facade of dignity and respect.

5) The extremists-anyone with extreme political/religious/racial views, whether it's to the far left or far right are better off given a wide berth. These people are probably the ones who are the most uptight and angriest of all the types of expats I've had the displeasure of meeting, despite the fact that they moved to "paradise" to be happy.
You missed one: I'll call it a "Pre Pat."

That's a work-a-day someone with no real money, who vacations to the DR once a year to live a two-week Walter Mitty life away from their dull, mundane, lonely life at home and then pontificates and complains online about actual expats with the balls and resources to make the move.

BTW, there are some very solid expats that fall into NONE of your categories. Perhaps living here and not rubbing shoulders with DR1ers or from "other" most popular sites might broaden one's perspective.

The % of expat creeps is roughly the same as the % of creeps back home. But as usual, one finds what one seeks.

And opinions vary, all blessings.

Signed-

One of The Angry and Uptight Expats Who Deserves to be Avoided. Beware.

:classic:

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
There are several reasons. One certainly is when foreigners come to the DR as tourists they receive a warm welcome, not only because they spend money but Dominicans just seem to be super friendly at the first impression. Everything they look at is through a "nice" filter and things appear a lot better than they really are. Many of these expats decide to quickly to move down here because of that and then with time reality sets in. There are some real happy expats here, too. You will meet some...

I am a happy expat and live in Bavaro! :laugh:
But I am not a big fan of "communities", I prefer to mingle with everybody that comes along, of course there are exceptions like everywhere.

Off Topic (sorry!): Steve's Bar is closed :dead: ; now what? :cool:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
My husband and I have been traveling to Bavaro for the past few years. Seems like a nice community with lots of interesting people. We purchased property on our trips, made some nice friends, and as I am so close to retirement, I thought It would be a great idea to live here full time as I can be close to my mother and brothers.

. What seems strange to me is that it looked as if everyone was happyband enjoying the carlibbean life when I used to visit, but now everyone we meet is constantly complaining about life in Dominican Republic. Not just complaining but it seems that everyone has a story behind them, nwhich most of the time seems to me that it is just gossip.

I see it reflected on this board as well, people write comments and some other person jumps in with a nasty comment or some sort of insult.

I am beginning tobthink Bavaro is just not the ideal place for our retirement. If We are not with my family in Santo Domingo, we are left to dine in Bavaro with angry expats that complain all evening about how corrupt we are and what a mess this place is. Yes it may be, but why don't you just go back home to your organized country? Why live in misery?

The reason why they can't go HOME is because they made it clear to their families, friends, neighbors how GREAT and wonderful Dominicans are. Dominicans are more friendly, better mothers, NICER all around better people. Now you do me a favor Sra. Diaz tell all those expats NEVER to show their LOUZY face in their home country again mainly the americans and tell them to stop being a "stick in the mud" because the DR is their home now for better or worse.

Leaving the USA to move to the DR for a better life is like a ex first lady becoming vice president, now what nickel and dime country will allow this to happen?

Kenneth Cole New York

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The reason why they can't go HOME is because they made it clear to their families, friends, neighbors how GREAT and wonderful Dominicans are. Dominicans are more friendly, better mothers, NICER all around better people. Now you do me a favor Sra. Diaz tell all those expats NEVER to show their LOUZY face in their home country again mainly the americans and tell them to stop being a "stick in the mud" because the DR is their home now for better or worse.

Leaving the USA to move to the DR for a better life is like a ex first lady becoming vice president, now what nickel and dime country will allow this to happen?

Kenneth Cole New York

Yeah you are right. One nickel and dime country almost made an ex first lady President.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The DR attracts a certain type of expat that are best avoided. This list is far from conclusive, and should not be taken to mean that all expats fall under any one of these categories-

1) The retired drunkard with money. An old survey mentioned in GQ magazine noted that over 70% of all expats are or become alcoholics once they have settled into their new country. They can be found sitting in some bar surrounded by other red-faced gringos complaining about Dominican women only wanting money, despite the consequences from hanging out almost exclusively with low-class, uneducated whores eluding them.

2) The retired drunkard with NO money. He'll always be looking to mooch off someone and never stops bothering others. Eventually he may try to scam you while in cahoots with local Dominicans just to get your money, either through a confidence scheme, an orchestrated break-in robbery or physical violence upon your person.

3) The crook on the lam. Respectable on the outside, but on the run from the law in their own country. A crook never changes his stripes-whatever he did to someone in his own country, once he gets comfortable he'll attempt to continue his actions in the DR.

4) The sexual deviant/serial trolloper. Anyone who is single has a right to a good time however they see fit if co-mingling with other consenting adults, but someone whose driving force for relocating to the DR is cheap and easy sex ain't someone you want to befriend. Some expats take it to the extreme and become the worst kind of perverts, all while attempting to maintain a facade of dignity and respect.

5) The extremists-anyone with extreme political/religious/racial views, whether it's to the far left or far right are better off given a wide berth. These people are probably the ones who are the most uptight and angriest of all the types of expats I've had the displeasure of meeting, despite the fact that they moved to "paradise" to be happy.

I liked the list, however, I think the post could have been improved by making clearer that you are not categorizing all expats but identifying those expats that us "normals" should avoid. Reading the responses, I get the sense that some readers missed that and thought you were speaking about all expats.

I would suggest another category, those who left whatever sense of ethics and honor they had on the shore of the country they left.

Zulu

May 27, 2012
Just some words of thought; foremost you can choose your friends but you cannot choose your neighbors. Set some ground rules it's your house he is on your property the reason why he feels free to blab about how he feels is because you let him, approach him and tell him listen i don't like the way you are talking about my people and my country in disrespectful taste & manner, keep your nasty comments to your self (They will respect you for telling them how you feel). Expats tend to forget while talking to Dominicans that live or work abroad,not realizing that you are not one of them. Therefore he feels open & is willing to pour out what is on his mind knowing your one of them, thus compelling you to understand his frustration, it's like talking to a mixed child and complaining about the race of one of their parents forgetting that they are mixed so whatever your saying offends them it's not like they can choose the better half and stick with that group they have the best of both worlds. In my opinion just keep happy people around you it will brighten your day, negativity just brings bad vibes of aura.

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Bavaro is like a goldrush town with very little gold, many people move here thinking that they will make their fortune or atleast live very well here because there is lots of rich tourist passing through and living is cheap.
But in general most of the money from the tourists goes to the big foriegn resort chains or those cunning/corupted
enough to operate a successful buisness, basicly the average Joe wont make any money here.
Secondly living is expensive. Housing is resonable but food, drinks going out all costly.

So high expectations with little results makes people a little crazy.

Unfortunatly most people have very few friends here because they are too busy trying to survive or are bitter and untrusting because they have been screwed too many times.

In order to live here well and not become on of the complainers; Take off the rose colour glasses, laugh at the cultural differences, be friendly even if you dont speak the language, dont get finacially tied down and if you find yourself hating it so much leave!!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I think there's a big difference between expats who are trying to make a living, and those who are retired, (whether they're living full time, or snow-birding it). Trying to work and earn enough to live well creates a whole different set of issues as opposed to those just trying to enjoy some time in the sun. That being said, anyone who moves to a wholly different culture expecting it to "be like home" is setting themselves up for disappointment and failure. One should be open minded enough to embrace the culture for what it is, (pros and cons); realizing that their home culture certainly has its own pros and cons. OH... and slamming someone else's home land and culture is just plain RUDE. Especially so in their own dining room.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
For me the expats that I know for the most part are very producitve people and successful in their own right. Therefore they are pretty happy here. Sure you will get a complaint now and then but most of their complaints are no different than what I hear the locals talk about. My spouse use to complain all the time when we would visit friends or family in the US and all they did was complain about how bad it is here and how they are soooo glad they moved away. Now keep in mind that these are the same people that would never ever think of missing their yearly or heck for some bi-yearly, tri-yearly (you get it) trips back here.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah you are right. One nickel and dime country almost made an ex first lady President.

Almost: nearly, not exactly,not yet, or not in fact, BUT VERY CLOSE. Let me know the day ALMOST and BECOMING are synonyms. Maybe you had a different BALLOT because I NEVER saw woman's name on any BALLOT for President when I voted. No wait one election I had the flu so it must have been that time SORRY SKY your right.

potatohead

May 10, 2012

Please expand on this guy number 4. He sounds like the most fun of all..................

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'm still trying to understand this concept of an ex-pat "community" in Bavaro. As far as I can tell, there isn't one.

emonero

May 22, 2012
Almost: nearly, not exactly,not yet, or not in fact, BUT VERY CLOSE. Let me know the day ALMOST and BECOMING are synonyms. Maybe you had a different BALLOT because I NEVER saw woman's name on any BALLOT for President when I voted. No wait one election I had the flu so it must have been that time SORRY SKY your right.

I guess you didn't vote on the 2008 election...Does the name Sarah Palin sounds familiar to you? And lest not forget that Mrs Cede?o is a Lawyer?

Andrew Smith

Jun 28, 2009
Hi Maribel

If your husband is still looking for a friend to go out with then I am available. I am so lonely here in Bavaro so if you still live here drop me a DM..message and we can perhaps meet up.. I am a happy guy and love the Dominican Republic..Can speak in Spanish or English too... Hope to hear from you soon

Andy